What's new

What does the tuning of a sub mean? (1 Viewer)

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
HI,

I have seen many replies, which people say their sub was tuned to an specific Hz like

SVS 25-31 (retuned to 22Hz)
By this I think you enable the sub to go lower, sacrificing Db, why does this happen?

I also thought that the room was a big factor to weather a sub could reach lower frecuencies, does the tunning of a sub aslo help to get it lower.

I bought my SVS 25-31PCi stock, I just want to know if I should have ask SVS people to tune mine, but my room is 13x13, so I dont know if I need it.

Thanks,
Pablo Abularach

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
There are a lot of people here that can put it into better words than I but here goes. Tuning a sub refers to ported enclosures. The port or tube is a specific length and Dia. changing the length will result in a lower tuning. When you tune to say 25hz output below that frequency will be severely rolled off. in other words you won't get much usable bass below the tuning freq. But a higher tuning frequency usaully means a 2-3db more output an octave higher, around 35-50hz. So it depends what you want. More output in the mid/sub bass or low frequency extension.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks