What's new

what does 'got milk?' mean? (1 Viewer)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Please help out a dumb Brit. I know that 'got milk?' is some kind of advertising slogan, and it's referenced quite a lot in US movies and TV shows. However, the phrase isn't used in the UK and I can't find a reference to it on Google et al.

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
And the Aawon Buwh (Aaron Burr) commercial is the brainchild and was directed by... Michael Bay!

If you have The Rock, Criterion Edition, the commercial is on there too.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I think they were trying to create another catch phrase, but I can't see it happening. I liked 'where's the beef?' - but this one is just stupid, stupid, stupid.

Glenn

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Many thanks for the info, guys - it makes several cultural references a whole lot clearer. I knew that the 'got milk?' advertising campaign was hugely successful, but it honestly isn't well known in the UK. Still, I guess there are few Americans who will have a clue what 'naughty but nice' or 'it's what your right arm's for' mean.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
My favorite "Got Milk" commercial: (as I recall it)
Some guy gets killed (I think by a bus) and ends up in a large/white room. There is a giant pile of huge chocolate chip cookies on a table. The guy is like "THIS IS HEAVEN!!! I'M IN HEAVEN!" as he starts dancing and chowing all of the cookies...
When he finally gets thirsty, he opens a HUGE fridge that has like a hundred cartons of milk. He grabs the first one (to quench his thirst) and it's empty. He then grabs another, which is also empty. He continues, frantically, to try and find a full one, but they're all empty.
He finally looks up and says something like "This isn't heaven...What is this place?" and in the background, you start to see flames licking up...(fade to black) - "Got Milk?"
:D :emoji_thumbsup:

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I think that what Andrew is questioning is the poor grammar used. The phrase "Got Milk?" really should be interpreted as "Have you got (sufficient) milk?"

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
"Naughty but nice" was the advertising tag line for cream cakes, written by Salman Rushdie I think.

"it's what your right arm's for" is from an old beer commercial.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
The "Got Milk?" ad campaign is noteworthy because this is the first time milk's health properties aren't being touted. All the previous milk commercials I'd seen would point out that milk has calcium for your bones, etc.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Richard, maybe some scientists figured out that the health properties of milk were overstated - so they toned down the commercials a bit. Or maybe researchers discovered that people in North America don't care about health (go visit the mall and you'll see what I mean hehe), so they opted to take a different strategy in advertising it? :D
I've seen a riced-up Honda with the caption "Got Rice?" stickered on the bumper, just over the 8 inch wide tailpipe. Funny. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks