What's new

What does DIN stand for in the speaker specs. (1 Viewer)

Christopher Lyn

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all. I was just wondering what DIN stood for when looking at speaker specs.

I usually see it in the Low Frequency Extension. They give a number say 14 Hz then have DIN in brackets. For example,

I have Paradigm Studio 80s. The frequency response is 40 Hz to 22 kHz with a low frequency response of 27Hz (DIN).

Can some one just clarify what that means?

Thanks a lot.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
DIN also often written as DIN/IEC refers to an international standard, the DIN being German (deutche). There is typically a number that comes after it, specifying the particular standard in question. These standards provide a means of measurement so that they can be done in a meaningful way allowing for comparison. If you've a passing familiarity with UL and ASTM then you've a general idea of what standards are. With regards to the Paradigm speakers, I don't know which standard they are referencing. For example DIN IEC 268 contains many subparts to provide for measurement and reporting of parameters for speakers, their power handling, microphones, headphones, etc. If the number is listed, you may be able to search it on the web to find out more information. Or perhaps Paradigm can provide you with the technical interpretation of that number. It might refer to something like an on-axis measurement taken under certain power levels and represents a peak. That's just pure speculation upon my part. Hope this was helpful in some way.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
It is very likely that 27 hz is the speakers -x dB point. For instance, many speakers are rated at their -10 dB point. My speakers have a -10 dB point of 27 hz. So I guess ask paradigm what it means. Just a guess, but its possible.

Doug BW

Stunt Coordinator
On Paradigm's web site, if you click on the asterisk next to where they say "DIN", it will tell you:

"DIN 45 500. Indicates -3dB in a typical listening room."

MarcW

Agent
DIN is the abreviation for Deutsche Industrie Norm (German Industry Standard).

-MarcW

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks