What's new

What do we do about companies using 2 x DVD5 when 1 x DVD9 would do? (1 Viewer)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
What do we do about companies using 2 x DVD5 when 1 x DVD9 would do?
what are we complaing about exactly...that the studio isn't using a dual-layer disc but instead using 2 single-layer discs?

Personally, I'd rather them spread over multiple discs than use dual-sided discs...but naturally a dual-layer disc should be the first option.

Then again, when all our dual-layer discs rot 10 years from now and only our single-layer discs are playable maybe we'll change our tune :)

-dave

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Here's one thing that people are not taking into account:

Companies that license titles have to spread their investment as far as possible. Especially considering how expensive something like Python is

So while they may be wasting disc space, they're spreading their risk.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Well it it a lot easier for the smaller distributors to master on a DVD5, because of using DVD-R(A/G) and most likely could do a lot of it in house, better testing of disc for compatiblity as well.
I know DaViD Boulet alluded to it, but I'm sure there is a financial reason when it comes to DVD production. If it's cheaper (and more reliable in the long run) to do 2 x DVD5's then that's what they're going to do.

Again, producing a dual layer disc may be more expensive than 2 single layer discs.

Dave Molinarolo

Stunt Coordinator
Speaking of A&E, does anyone know how they've released their Napoleon mini-series? It's supposed to be a 8-hour CE across 3-discs with the 3rd being the extras. Can 4 hours of 4:3 video and a DD 2.0 track fit on one DVD-9?

Joe McKeown

Stunt Coordinator
Right now my car's CD player has all home-burned copies of my CD's, Same thing at work. I once had a dozen or so disks stolen from my car, and didn't really care. Having my traveling disks be "replacable" is really nice. Well, portable DVD players are getting cheaper, as are DVD burners. I understand backing up a DVD-9 is a bit of a pain, whereas a DVD-5 is a no brainer. So I'm OK with DVD-5's

Of course, the DVD producers will realize that the same thing is also more convenient for those with less legitimate intentions, they will then stop this...

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I don't like having to look at the menu before starting the movie, but if they want to have one come on when you hit the Menu button then that's fine.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I don't mind menus, I just HATE animated menus (especially the ones that show clips from the movie)...Why show me scenes, in advance, from the movie I'm about to WATCH!!!! :angry:

What a waste of DVD production money :rolleyes

Tony Kwong

Supporting Actor
Another thing that great marketing have shown companies make more money selling 10 disc At $15 each than selling 5 disc at $30 each.

MattHR

Screenwriter
The worst case I've seen is Delta Video's 3-disc set of the 1980's TV mini-series "Princess Daisy". It was originally aired in two parts over two nights (190 minutes actual running time.)

Delta has released it on dvd spread over 3 discs! The whole program would have fit on either a dvd-9 or dvd-10, as other 2-part mini-series have been released ("It", "Salem's Lot", "V").

I could understand 2 dvd-5's, one per episode. But Delta, for some strange reason, has placed part 1 on disc 1, then split part 2 over discs 2 and 3. Very strange.
The only reason I can guess why they did this is to justify the $59.95 retail price tag. They probably figured the consumer would think it's a "good deal", being 3 discs. It's still a rip-off, no matter how many discs, especially considering the crappy transfer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks