What do we do about companies using 2 x DVD5 when 1 x DVD9 would do?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by JulianK, May 4, 2003.

1. JulianK

JulianK Supporting Actor

I'm getting a bit fed up with companies releasing multi-disc sets that contain more than one DVD5.

I understand why they do it ("hey, it's a umpteen-disc set"!) but as a consumer, I think it's pretty underhand, especially if I'm being asked to pay, for example, three-disc prices for what should have been a two-disc set.

I also know that using two DVD5s offers very slightly more capacity than using a DVD9, but this is rarely the real reason why a company splits material over more than one disc.

So, am I the only person bothered by this? Could we do anything to stamp it out (other than naming and shaming the products concerned)?

2. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

I can well believe it (although all my 2-disc sets are either a DVD-9 + a DVD-5, or just 2 DVD-9's), but which examples were you thinking of specifically?

3. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

The only example I can think of is the UK 2 disc release of "Blair Witch 2: Book of Shadows" which was 2 DVD5's. The film was on disc 1, The two "mockumentaries" on disc 2.

I suspect this was because Momentumn plan to release the film on it's own at some point in the future.

4. Roger Rollins

Roger Rollins Supporting Actor

Usually this is a marketing ploy on the part of video companies to make their double disc releases seem more substantial. You're absolutely right!

5. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Screenwriter

Titles that come to mind are:

South Park: Season 1
    Battle Royale: Limited Edition Tin (R2/UK)
    A Fish Called Wanda: SE (R2/UK)

Perhaps also the The Movies Begin box set by Kino, which contains five single layered dvd's, but I guess because some of the dvd's are (were?) also available seperately, this doesn't really count.

6. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

What about the region 2 edition of RAGING BULL: SE from MGM? It really could have been a 1-disc DVD-9.

And if only the never-coming region 1 edition could have the Criterion commentary...

Gordy

7. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Two DVD-5's have 10 GB. One DVD-9 has 9 GB. You do the math.

8. James Reader

9. JulianK

JulianK Supporting Actor

A few more examples spring to mind, all of TV series:

Quatermass - a UK three-disc set, all DVD5s, with an equivalent RRP of about $56
    The Larry Sanders Show - three disc US set, all DVD5s, RRP $40
    Sergeant Cribb - three disc US set, all DVD5s. Annoyingly, this contains half of the episodes, with another three disc set to come, so it could have been released on three DVD9s.

It's probably not a particularly widespread problem, but as the number of TV series being released on DVD rises, one that might quickly get worse. Besides, we could all use more shelf space, right? [​IMG]

10. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I'm actually more comfortable with DVD5s given that they don't rot. As long as I'm not being gouged on the pricing, I don't have an issue with multiple discs, and for long movies definitely prefer the film on two discs rather than DVD18.

11. James Reader

12. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

I'd rather have two DVD-5s than one DVD-10. Easier to handle and doesn't cause problems for people with changers.

13. Michael St. Clair

The MST3K boxes are all DVD-5, and could definitely be doubled up onto DVD-9 with no discernable loss of quality.

14. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Rhino seems to be the biggest offender here in the US- I have 3-disc sets of World of Sid & Marty Krofft (retail $49.99) and Pink Lady and Jeff ($39.99), which are both all single-layer. To be fair, the retail prices on these dropped recently, but even not considering the prices you still have an unnecessary interruption changing the discs in between shows. These don't even have any 'full-color artwork' either, just boring 'etched' labels.
    I got sick of the marketing ploys of multi-disc sets a long time ago- I'd be much more inclined to buy 1 DVD-18 with several hours of material instead of a 3 or 4 single-sided disc set.
    Added comment- many DVD-5's with printed labels actually have the same playable material stamped on BOTH sides, with one covered by the printing. The 7 movies in the 8-disc Nighmare on Elm Street box set are like this (disc #8 is dual-layer). I have a couple discs that I removed the printing with alcohol and are now playable on both sides, though many discs you can see the numbers stamped into the center without having to ruin the label.
    Of course an even bigger problem is things that get split up into multiple volumes that you have to purchase separately, which instead could have fit on one disc by itself?

15. Tony Kwong

Tony Kwong Supporting Actor

Well it it a lot easier for the smaller distributors to master on a DVD5, because of using DVD-R(A/G) and most likely could do a lot of it in house, better testing of disc for compatiblity as well.

16. JulianK

JulianK Supporting Actor

I suspect that Columbia's forthcoming Punch Drunk Love 2-disc Superbit Deluxe title will be on two DVD5s. The film itself is only 94 minutes long, which, even with the DTS track, should comfortably fit on a DVD5, and the bonus materials, which look like they'll total less than half an hour, will certainly be on a DVD5.

I'm sure Columbia could have fitted this on a DVD9, with minimal - if any - loss in picture quality.

17. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

18. Joshua_W

Joshua_W Second Unit

A&E is probably the worst offender. The Prisoner was released on -- count'em -- ten DVDs when five would have done.

Same with their Monty Python discs. Three half-hour eps per disc.

The Twilight Zone, though not released by A&E, was done in a similar manner -- ~2 hours of content per disc.

19. Charlie Essmeier

Charlie Essmeier Stunt Coordinator

I'd love it if all films were issued on two discs, provided that they were formatted this way:

Disc 1: The Movie. No menu, just the movie.
    Disc 2: Everything else

I'd gladly pay for that format.

Charlie

20. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    Rhino's Ed Sullivan Rock and Roll Classics Box Set could have fit on five DVD-9 discs, but was released on 9 DVD-5s.

Regards,