What's new

What can I mod my memory stick into? (1 Viewer)

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I know this is a weird request, but after two days I managed to break my company supplied, 1 Gig, Codi USB flask disk:

It was stuck in the front of a PC and someone bumped it bending the USB plug off the little circuit board causing a disconnection in one of the soldered joints.

I can resolder it easily enough.. but, once opened, the case is pretty much shot. So, I've been looking around for something else I could use as a case. Then I thought, "why not make it something interesting?"

So, I've been wandering around the office looking for something to put this little circuit board into.

Any ideas?

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm... a PEZ dispenser isn't a bad idea.

Well, I managed to get the case off pretty easily to assess the damage. It looks like one or two of the pins are loose on the plug. Also, there's a tiny little box type thing that has come disconnected on one end near the plug. It doesn't seem to have any affect on the device if it's connected or not.

So, soldering the pins seems pretty easy. They're pretty unobstructed. The little box is going to be tough. Is there a way to attach a pin to a soldering iron to solder tiny things?

Here's a pic, although you can't really make out what I'm talking about:

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Take a look at radio shack to see if they have a smaller iron tip.

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
You could also cut down a USB extension cable and attach it in place of the socket to give you a flexible connection. You could then hide the rest of the unit in almost anything (lightweight).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks