What's new

What are you favorite Movie Theaters to go to? (besides home) (1 Viewer)

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor
Maybe this belongs elsewhere, if so, sorry.

Which movie theaters in your area are your favorites, (besides your home theater)and why?

There are two Muvico theaters in my area. I like them because the sound and seats are great. Definitely superior to all other theaters in the area. There is also an Odyssey Theater by us with an IMAX sized screen. They show "Enhanced 35mm" versions of movies. ROTK was great there. The sound system is amazing. This place gets to reference levels without a problem.

Muvico's: West Palm Beach and Boca Raton
Odyssey: Jupiter Florida.

Paul Linfesty

Stunt Coordinator
My favorite theatres are those that have a "classic" feel to them, back to the days when everyone in line was seeing the same film. I've gottento burned by my last DOZEN or so film-going visits to the multiplex, so I generally now only see "event" films in "event" theatres, such as Gruman's Chinese, El Capitan, Cinerama Dome, Egyptian Theatre (American Cinemateque), all in Hollywood. Or the Village, National, Bruin, Crest Westwood. Also, ACademy or DGA screening rooms for special screenings, the Leo S. Bing Theatre at the LA County Art Museum.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Here in the Boston area, you get big screens, stadium seating, etc. at the AMC Fenway and Loews Boston Common. They're both nice, if sort of plastic-y.

For the combination of nifty environment and programming, I like the Coolidge Corner theater in Brookline quite a bit and there are months when I practically live at the Brattle Theater near my apartment in Harvard Square.

The most impressive moviegoing facility I've ever seen is the Sony Metreon in San Francisco, though. That is one insane complex, with something like 25 screens, an IMAX screen, a huge arcade, restaurants... it's nuts. I want one in Boston, now. :)

Chris

Senior HTF Member
AMC 30 in Olathe in the KC area is one of the best in the market; since KC is the national home of AMC, we actually have a few really prized AMC theaters, but the AMC30 is considered by them to be one of the best in the market. When they try new tech, they try it there.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
In my current residence (Oxford), it takes at least 35 minutes to one of my favorite theaters, Showcase Cinemas Springdale 18, which has a theater with digital projection, so I've been able to see Star Wars: Attack of the Clones and Finding Nemo (twice) there digitally. AMC Newport on the Levee 20 is around an hour drive. Back home, the Arena Grand 8 is THX Certified in all of its theaters, opened in 2001. However, the theater is an example of housing great equipment with employees with little or no real training and/or experience. That said, I think it still has a long way to go before I stop going there if the lackluster maintainence keeps up. The AMC Easton 30 is my favorite at the moment, and the AMC Lennox 24 is nice, but places 3rd on the list.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
The Angelica—five screens showing independent and foreign films. Mostly everything is recent, but they do get the odd, classic film. This is in a complex with a few shops and restaurants and it also has a café and bar downstairs, as well as traditional movie food upstairs. The set aside one Saturday matinee each week for parents with babies. A five minute drive from my home, or I can walk.

The Magnolia—eight screens showing independent and foreign films, including at least one with digital projection capabilities. They often show restored classic films and get some of the traveling retrospectives (e.g. Giant and the Kurosawa/Mifune films were shown here). They have a bar and movie food (including Tim Tams, as the manager is an Aussie). Located in a complex with shops and several good restaurants, including a very nice French bistro and a pretty good wine bar. Mark Cuban just acquired this. 10 minutes from home.

The Inwood—a Landmark theater with three screens showing independent and foreign films. Another Mark Cuban acquisition, this is an older theater where the main screen and downstairs is still the size of the older, larger theaters. The balcony has been converted to two smaller screens. In a complex with shops and restaurants. 10 minutes from home.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
In the Burlington area, Essex Outlets Cinema is the best choice for mainstream releases. With eight screens, it has the largest screens in the state as well as currently being the only stadium seating theater in the state. All screens have digital surround sound.

Merrill's Roxy Cinemas in downtown Burlington is the best choice for independent/art films on six screens. It has been newly renovated since Merrill's (local owner) took over from Hoyts, but I haven't been there since that transition, so I'm not sure exactly what's been done other than new seating.

But, probably the area's premiere showcase should open any day now at Maple Tree Place in Williston. Merrill's Majestic is supposed to be totally state-of-the-art with 10 large screens, stadium seating, and digital sound.

I hear the Bijou in Morrisville is nice, though I've never been there. I believe they have 3 or 4 screens, at least one of which has DTS Digital.

The only theater chain we have here is Hoyts, which now only runs 3 or 4 theaters in the state (South Burlington, Newport, Bennington, Brattleboro?). The rest are all independently owned.

ShaunLB

Stunt Coordinator
My vote goes to the AmStar Cinema 16 here in Macon, GA. Not the worlds best, but still a marvel of sight and sound at a reasonable price.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Hey Daniel,

I too am from Lake Worth.

I don't go to the theater often but when I do, I like to make it a special occassion so I go to Muvico's premier theater in Boca. Balcony seating for 21 and over with full bar and food. The seats are reserved and are love seats rather than the typical chairs. Double the price but for that special movie, it's worth it. The only bummer is that it is not a THX cerified theater but it still provides a good presentation.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Number one: The Mann Village Theater. It's often used for movie premieres, and the studios make sure that the sound levels, focus, illumination, etc. are right. The sound is sometimes checked more than once a day.

Number Two: The Mann National

Both are in Westwood. Number Three is the Samuel L. Goldwyn Theater (the theater of the Motion Picture Academy).

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
Here are mine by city alpha order:

Encino, CALaemmle Town Center - A no frills 5-screen theater that features mostly independent and foreign films.

Hollywood, CAThe Arclight – Here, the audience are treated like kings and queens. Reserved seats, state of the art projection and sound, no sticky floors, plush and oversized seats with your own elbow rests, lots of legroom and an usher that introduces the film before it starts and constantly checks the auditorium for room temperature and other audio and video problems, are all part of your viewing pleasure.

Humble, TXAMC Deerbrook Mall – Yes, a megaplex with stadium seats throughout with very large screens. All the blockbuster films will definitely be playing here.

Los Angeles, CAThe Grove – is billed as the most profitable theater in the U.S. and one can easily understand why. It is an entertainment and shopping destination. Situated in an area with outdoor plaza and walkways, upscale shops, a farmer’s market, beautiful landscaping and fountains, artists, fine restaurants, and a parking garage. It’s 14-screen theater is, at times, a launching pad for limited or early release films. Everything here is grand.

New York, NYThe Ziegfeld – Needs no explanation.

Phoenix, AZAMC Arizona Center – In downtown Phoenix and walking distance to most of the area’s performing arts and sports venues. Grab a quick bite at Hard Rock Café before or after the movie. Only mainstream films play here though.

San Francisco, CAThe Castro Theater – considered one of San Francisco’s landmark features mostly eclectic programming, repertory cinema and classic films. If you are lucky, they might even play the pipe organ before the feature presentation.

Scottsdale, AZHarkins Camelview – A great place to catch foreign and independent films during the hot summer months or any other season for that matter.

~Edwin

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I prefer the Riverstone multiplex in Canton, GA.

Excellent presentation, Dolby Digital/DTS, and THX certified auditoriums. I saw The Return of the King and The Passion of The Christ there.

There's actually a great drive-in near my home in Blue Ridge... www.swan-drive-in.com The indoor theater in town has lousy presentation (grime on the aperture plates, mono sound, and holes in the screen :angry:) while the classic drive-in has stereo FM sound and perfect projection.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
Studio 28 here in Grand Rapids is the best one. Theater 1 and 7 are THX certified. Theater 1 seats 880 people It was full when I saw all three LOTR films and Episode Two.

Celebration Cinema is excellent too. Theater 1 is also THX certified.

Cinemark here is great too. The seats are the best in town. Big, comfortable, and you can rock in them.

Star Theater in Southfield is great also. Theater 1 there is THX certified.

I've been to all 4 THX certified theaters in the state of Michigan. Although I hear that one or two at Celebration Cinema in Lansing are. Can anyone from that area confirm this?

While my home theater is great, it's nothing compared to seeing a movie in the theater.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter

The Vista; down the street from me here in Los Feliz. Chances are, if it ain't showin' at the Vista then I ain't seein' it in a theater. The Vista has a long history. A single theater that was remodelled years ago with a wonderful Egyptian motif. The legroom between aisles is obnoxious, well at least in the upper rows. For a six foot tall guy like me it's the prime reason why I only see movies there. Besides that, I always see the matinee shows there so I haven't paid more than $4.75 for a movie at a theater in a very long time.

Also, in front of the theater is a small area made for people's hand and footprints like at Grauman's Chinese. Recently when Kill Bill played there the actual Pussy Wagon was parked outside the theater for a few weeks. Great place.

Kenny Goldin

Second Unit
The AMC at the Parks mall in Arlington, TX is really nice. Just your typical stadium seating multiplex, but I like it well enough, good sound, never had any troubles with the presentation. I Iive in Ft. Worth and they just got a new Rave Motion Pictures in at one of the local malls but I have not been there yet. The rest of the theaters in Ft. Worth are pretty bland (the downtown ones are OK though). We have some real stinkers though, like the AMC off of Hulen, the UA at Hulen Mall, and the Las Vegas Trail UA theater.

Jacinto

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacinto
When I feel the movie warrants it, I don't hesitate to drive across town to the UA Continental. The big screen is BIG, and the interior still has that old theater feel to it. No stadium seating, but great sound and really comfy seats. I saw all of the great films of my childhood there, from The Black Stallion and Return of the Jedi to T2 and the Abyss SE. It almost shut down for good about 10 years ago, but instead UA decided to close it down for one year and add on five smaller theaters while keeping the giant auditorium. Now it stays in business as a smaller multiplex, but thank God they saved the huge theater!

Jason Adams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Jason Adams
The Regal Cinemas's Court Street in Downtown Brooklyn. I love that place...the sound is good, good picture, good service.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks