What's new

What are "The Eight Basic Stories" behind all of film (1 Viewer)

Stephen_L

Supporting Actor
It has become cliche that all of storytelling is just the retelling of a few basic tales. (It was raised in a thread about Hollywood remakes) What are those tales? With a few moments thought I came up with:

The fish out of water (mostly comedies, but also dramas): Place character in comically or dangerously unsuitable situation and watch them adapt.

The hero's journey (most superhero films and adventures): The evolution and journey of a young hero from callow youth to mature hero.

The thwarted romance (most romances, romantic comedies, and buddy pictures): A loves B, but is thwarted by obstacles that must be surmounted.

Revenge (Many horror movies, martial arts pics): The hero is wronged and spends the story exacting justice on his oppressors.

Redemption (Many high end dramas, Best Picture fodder): The fallen hero having abandoned his ideals or loses greatness, finds them again and is restored to greatness.

The journey home (Many children's films): Characters are placed in a distant, foreign, dangerous place and must find their way home.

Is there a real list of these plots? What are some others.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I would say triumph against overwhelming odds would be one. However that description might be too general as the other basic stories mentioned may contain that element. For that category, I bascially had Sports movies in mind, or films where a character has to overcome some kind of handicap in order to succeed.

Nick-R

Agent
I'll break things down even broader. I'd say there are bascially 4 types of movies - each type touches on a simple character trait:

Coming of Age - Maturity
Revenge - Toughness
Grand Journey - Perseverence
Fish Out of Water - Humility

I'd say you could get rid of romance all together. Characters typically endure/achieve a mix of the four types in their attempt to "aquire" love.

Mix/match any of these 4 and I'd say you can describe any movie. Of course I cheated, they are awfully broad categories.

Richard_D_Ramirez

Second Unit
Isn't this just the basic plot elements in all stories (not just movies) discussed in high school english classes? I seem to recall discussing this in my english class some 20 years ago.

Some I remember:
Man vs. nature
Man vs. man
Man vs. self
Man vs. God/religion

I especially remember heated discussions in class on whether Old Man and the Sea (and we got to see the Spencer Tracy film in addition to reading the book) was a story about Man vs Nature, Man vs. Self, or Man vs. God....

Stephen_L

Supporting Actor
One addition I'd make:

The Quest (most sports movies, war movies): Hero, or team of heroes attempt a dangerous quest to achieve a goal or prize

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
There are only three.

1. Romantic comedy
2. Revenge
3. Giant gorilla

In all seriousness, I think Richard's "Man vs." set is pretty all-encompassing.

Regards,
Nathan

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Stephen:

I would say that pretty much all stories fall broadly under your "redemption" arc; a character has a problem which can only be solved through action (often aided or taken by others) which help solve the problem and/or restore our character to an ideal state.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks