What are "The Eight Basic Stories" behind all of film

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Stephen_L, Jun 26, 2006.

1. Stephen_L

Stephen_L Supporting Actor

It has become cliche that all of storytelling is just the retelling of a few basic tales. (It was raised in a thread about Hollywood remakes) What are those tales? With a few moments thought I came up with:

The fish out of water (mostly comedies, but also dramas): Place character in comically or dangerously unsuitable situation and watch them adapt.

The hero's journey (most superhero films and adventures): The evolution and journey of a young hero from callow youth to mature hero.

The thwarted romance (most romances, romantic comedies, and buddy pictures): A loves B, but is thwarted by obstacles that must be surmounted.

Revenge (Many horror movies, martial arts pics): The hero is wronged and spends the story exacting justice on his oppressors.

Redemption (Many high end dramas, Best Picture fodder): The fallen hero having abandoned his ideals or loses greatness, finds them again and is restored to greatness.

The journey home (Many children's films): Characters are placed in a distant, foreign, dangerous place and must find their way home.

Is there a real list of these plots? What are some others.

2. WillG

WillG Producer

I would say triumph against overwhelming odds would be one. However that description might be too general as the other basic stories mentioned may contain that element. For that category, I bascially had Sports movies in mind, or films where a character has to overcome some kind of handicap in order to succeed.

3. Nick-R

Nick-R Agent

I'll break things down even broader. I'd say there are bascially 4 types of movies - each type touches on a simple character trait:

Coming of Age - Maturity
    Revenge - Toughness
    Grand Journey - Perseverence
    Fish Out of Water - Humility

I'd say you could get rid of romance all together. Characters typically endure/achieve a mix of the four types in their attempt to "aquire" love.

Mix/match any of these 4 and I'd say you can describe any movie. Of course I cheated, they are awfully broad categories.

4. Richard_D_Ramirez

Richard_D_Ramirez Second Unit

Isn't this just the basic plot elements in all stories (not just movies) discussed in high school english classes? I seem to recall discussing this in my english class some 20 years ago.

Some I remember:
    Man vs. nature
    Man vs. man
    Man vs. self
    Man vs. God/religion

I especially remember heated discussions in class on whether Old Man and the Sea (and we got to see the Spencer Tracy film in addition to reading the book) was a story about Man vs Nature, Man vs. Self, or Man vs. God....

5. Stephen_L

Stephen_L Supporting Actor

One addition I'd make:

The Quest (most sports movies, war movies): Hero, or team of heroes attempt a dangerous quest to achieve a goal or prize

6. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Try Googling for seven, not eight.

7. Nathan V

Nathan V Supporting Actor

There are only three.

1. Romantic comedy
    2. Revenge
    3. Giant gorilla

In all seriousness, I think Richard's "Man vs." set is pretty all-encompassing.

Regards,
    Nathan

8. Chris Atkins

Chris Atkins Producer

Stephen:

I would say that pretty much all stories fall broadly under your "redemption" arc; a character has a problem which can only be solved through action (often aided or taken by others) which help solve the problem and/or restore our character to an ideal state.