What's new

What are the A/B speaker terminals? (1 Viewer)

Babek

Stunt Coordinator
I was wondering what the A/B speaker terminals are on the back of a receiver I wish to purchase. They are only for the front R/L. What exactly do they do ?

Jagan Seshadri

Supporting Actor
Some people run a separate pair of speakers in another room. This is speaker pair 'B'.

Or, sometimes people have separate speaker brands for home theater (i.e. speaker set 'A') and for traditional 2-channel playback (i.e. speaker set 'B').

-JNS

Richard Cook

Stunt Coordinator
Is there any reason why the A/B terminals can't be ru together, for Bi-wiring, or would I lose power across the front soundstage.

I've got a Denon AVR2802

Thanks

Jagan Seshadri

Supporting Actor
I am not familiar with the 2802, but if you are bi-wiring, the power consumed by a typical 2-way speaker would now be split into the power going to the woofer via 'A' and the power going to the tweeter via 'B' (or vice-versa). You'd not be adding any extra load to the system, so I don't think you'd lose power across the front soundstage. The power would just be provided along different electrical paths.

-JNS

Richard Cook

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Jagan

I will give it a go. The reason I need to do this is that the cable I use, Cabletalk, Talk 3.1, is too thick to combine on the one output, and here in Europe we don't get the luxury of 4mm sockets! I just needed further clarification before I went ahead

Ian_A

Agent
I read that using your A&B speakers for biamping does not give you any advantage. As the same internal amps are being used to drive both A&B. It would not increase your performance at all. I have attached a link there may have been some FAQ's on there site that talked about the same item.
http://www.audioholics.com/index.php

Jagan Seshadri

Supporting Actor
Hold on a second, Richard.

I want to make sure what you mean before agreeing to it! (Don't want you to damage your A/V kit).

You're not connecting the wires from terminals A and terminals B together are you?

i.e. A----|
..........|-----Speakers
.....B----|
That's not what I meant. Don't do that!

I meant
A---------->Woofer
B---------->Tweeter

-JNS

RobCar

Stunt Coordinator
Personally, I wouldn't buy a receiver that didn't have A and B capability (I might be wrong, but some Denons I looked at didn't appear to have Bs). I use the Bs to play music in a different room, which as far as I can tell is a whole lot easier than the whole "zone 2" thing. Zone 2 seems to require a separate amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks