What's new

What are some quality amps that won't break the bank? (1 Viewer)

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
I don't mind buying them used but I don't know a lot of "seperates companies." I'm very interested in seperates for future upgrades, but I have no clue as to what a good price for a quality amp is. In fact I have no idea what an average price for an amp is. So If you could throw some names out there, or links I would appreciate it. In fact if anything is under a grand that would be even better. One last thing. Do they have amps that power all speakers AND models that power only one speaker? You can tell I'm a noob now ;)

Mark Austin

Supporting Actor
Since you welcome the opportunity to buy used, which I think is smart, I would start by going to a couple of reseller type sites www.audiogon.com is one, and look through the classifieds and see what types of amps your budget will buy. Take down several names and look for the manufacturers website, and for any reviews of said component. After you have narrowed it down a bit, try to find any local shops that may carry the same equipment to get some sort of audititon. I would go for quality over quantity.
Do they have amps that power all speakers AND models that power only one speaker?
Yes. There are one channel amps(mono blocks), and amps that go from 2 channels up to 7 channels.

george king

Supporting Actor
Parasound makes nice amps, that are highly regarded. In that price range, you may also want to check out the Rotel RMB 1075 (120 W X 5). I have one and love it, and it has also been highly rated, and won some awards for budget amp this last year. Either choice would be good.

The suggestion of buying used is a good one, if you do not mind buying used. You can get a better quality amp that way, and audiogon is a great source for used equipment.

Hope this helps.

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
Thx guys. I'm pretty sure my next system will be seperates. My first one I just put together is a rather "budget" system, but next time I go all out. Well not $20,000 all out but quality stuff lol.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
You might check out some used amps for a really great deal. For instance, I picked up my Adcom amps for $325 ea. – they were about $800 new.

Typically amps are very reliable and aesthetics-wise are slow to go “out of style,” so used ones are usually a safe bet.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
How is the amp from Outlaw? Does anyone have it? I am interested in a 950 if it gets good reviews and is a quality machine. Hopefully next year sometime. If their amp is quality then maybe I will go with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks