What's new

What are some of the better live concert DVD's released recently ??? (1 Viewer)

Shawn Sefranek

Second Unit
This place is always a great source of info on this topic.
With so many LIVE concert DVD's lining the shelves of my local Best Buy right now I know there must be a few "stand out" titles.

For reference of my taste, here are a few of the favorites that are currently on my shelves.

Steely Dan – Two Against Nature
Sarah McLachlan – Mirrorball
AC/DC Stiff Upper Lip
The Cranberries – Live in Paris
Peter Frampton – Live in Detroit
Talking Heads – Stop Making Sense
Don Henley – Live Inside Job
The Eagles – Hell Freezes Over
ELO – Zoom
Blue Man Group - Audio

As you can see, I have quite a diversified range of music there.
Video quality, while important, isn't as imperative as a ROCKIN 5.1 or DTS audio track.

What are some of your favorites that you purchased over the last...oh say...SIX MONTHS ?

Thanks in advance,
Shawn S

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
Get Sting's All This Time concert. The sound is fantastic. I wouldn't say that the video is reference quality but it is certainly acceptable (and anamophically enhanced to boot).

Shawn Sefranek

Second Unit
Good point on the Anamorphic transfers Mark.
That would be a nice bonus on the suggestions as I have a 50” 16:9 Toshiba set.

Shawn S

Chris Xolotl

Second Unit
MY FAVORITES THAT ARE PRICELESS IN TERMS OF QUALITY:

Joe Satriani - Live in SF
Motorhead - Boneshaker (UK version comes with CD)
Scorpions - Acoustica (12 Cameras, dts. AMAZING!!

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Diana Krall: Live in Paris

and don't laugh but Barry Manilow's live concert in DTS and anamorphic looks and sounds great.

Tim Fleming

Stunt Coordinator
Brian Setzer Orchestra Live in Japan - put simply... amazing!!!

The Last Waltz (The Band)... a must for any collection.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Queen - We Will Rock you. Excellent audio and video.
Oasis - There and Then. The video isn't perfect, as there's some stair-stepping and MPEG artifacts, but God DAMN the concert is awesome. Don't know how the audio willbe on high-end system, but the disc is wrell worth getting, for the quality of the performance.

Neil White

Supporting Actor
Bad Company: In Concert: Merchants of Cool

Only just got it so to be honest, not sure of the quality yet. Most Websites list the specs as 1.33:1 but I could have sworn it was in widescreen (dunno about anamorphic). Sorry, I threw it in while I was putting together an office chair so I was only half paying attention.

N

Trevor H

Second Unit
Ozzy Osbourne - Live At Budokan - One of the best 5.1 mixes ever, plus a great PCM Stereo track, it is widescreen but not anamorphic, plus a special The Osbourne's in Japan episode, but the best thing about this disc is the 10 min. guitar solo by the best guitar player in the world Zakk Wylde.
Billy Idol - VH1 Storytellers - This is a really great disc it starts out with a cool acoustic set and ends with a rockin' electric set, the dts track is incredible, it also has a DD 5.1 & 2.0 track, the picture is in 4:3 but that is how it was filmed for VH1, this disc also features a great but very under rated guitar player Steve Stevens.

Clint B

Second Unit
Another one that has to be mentioned is Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band: Live in New York City. Excellent DD 5.1 and PCM audio tracks and 1.78:1 anamorphic video from (IMHO) the best live act on the planet.

As far as the Sting DVD is concerned, I do believe the OAR of it is meant to be 1.78:1. I've got a WEGA and as an experiment I looked to see how the DVD looked with the squeeze feature off--it's definitely anamorphic, and it seems like it was meant to be filmed in widescreen and not cropped (sorry for my rambling answer--hope I answered the question).

Ricky Hustle

Supporting Actor
Roger Waters - In the Flesh

I have many of the dvds listed in this thread, and this is one of the best. Anamorphic and kick-ass 5.1.

Yes - Symphonic Live is another must have.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Iron Maiden, Rock in Rio
A bit fast on the edits, but a great setlist, terrific and HUGE (250,000) crowd, and a phenomenal performance by one of metal's all time greats.

I'm a HUGE U2 fan, so the two-DVD set U2: Elevation Tour 2001 Live from Boston is at the top of my favorite concert DVD list. Excellent video and Dolby Digital 5.1 sound with a bonus multi-angle version of the concert on the 2nd disc.
There's another U2 concert DVD of one of their 2001 Slane Castle, Ireland shows coming out in December. As well as a "U2 Best Of 1990-2000" music video DVD.
Still waiting for DVD's of U2 Under a Blood Red Sky, Zooropa Down Under and PopMart Mexico City....

Paul Boyle

Stunt Coordinator
Another vote for Yes - Symphonic Live & U2 Elevation
re the Barry Manilow I presume its ultra wide screen :D
Paul ;)

Steven_Ma

Agent
Can't belive no one mentioned the NIN dvd it is really good. The Marilyn Manson dvd coming out in a few weeks also looks good.

BrianM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
Two that I think are absolutely stunning are the already named Queen - We Will Rock You and The Who Live at the Royal Albert Hall. The Queen disc looks and sounds as if it were recorded yesterday. It also includes what I consider to be the ultimate extra for concert DVD's - subtitles! I also really love Midnight Oil 20,000 Watt RSL, it won't win any awards for picture quality but that is more than made up for by the 2.5 hour running time and under $15 price. Any one know of any other music DVD's with subtitles?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I'll second the recommendations for Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band - Live from New York City and Diana Krall - Live in Paris. The Springsteen two-disc set is incredible, and a "must-have" for any Bruce fan. The audio quality is excellent, the video is a 16x9 HD transfer from the HBO-HD broadcast, and the performance has the group in top form. This title is currently the favorite in my collection of concert DVDs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks