What's new

What annoys you? (2 Viewers)

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Educate me- what’s a gimlet?

It's a drink made with vodka, lime and some sort of sweet stuff (simple syrup?). I have never had one because I did not drink the one brought to me. I do not like sweet cocktails. When she presented it, I said "what's this supposed to be?' You'd think bartenders would have an app or a cheat sheet with basic terms and recipes.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
It's a drink made with vodka, lime and some sort of sweet stuff (simple syrup?). I have never had one because I did not drink the one brought to me. I do not like sweet cocktails. When she presented it, I said "what's this supposed to be?' You'd think bartenders would have an app or a cheat sheet with basic terms and recipes.
About 25 years ago, I did several Michelobs, then I was given a shot of blackberry Brandy. I was violently sick (my buddy told me I hugged a toilet for a while), then had my worst hangover the following morning. I don’t do sweet drinks after that experience.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
USPS woes... we purchased a new house last year and have been attempting to get "equitable" mail delivery ever since. This is lengthy so be warned...

Here's a image of the street:
house.jpg

Our house is the green blob. The *red* blobs are rural service (and we live inside the city limits as do all those in red - it's at least another mile south before city limits end - on the other side of a bypass - those 10 rural addresses are the *only* rural addresses on our side of that bypass - there's zero reason for them to be rural other than "history" and the Postal Union. The *blue* blobs are city delivery. On our side of the road there are 4 houses classified rural - us and the 3 to the South. There are no other homes on that side of the road until those blue blobs to the north, all of which are city delivery. *Every* house on our side of the road, city and rural, has the mailbox up close to their garage or front door *on the driveway.*

Our house had no mailbox when we purchased it so being "good" citizens we contact the PO to ask "Where does our mail box go?" expecting to get "On your drive, close to the garage like the rest of the street." Nope... we were told "It's rural so has to be on the opposite side of the road as the carrier only goes down one side." Uhhh... No, they do not. There are *three* homes *on our side* that have mail boxes on their driveway, close to their garage/door. The postal person *must* go into each of those drives to deliver the mail.

We tried to talk to the Postmaster - nope, won't let us. So we talk to the City Route Supervisor who agrees that putting the mail box where we want, and in consistency with all other addresses on that stretch of road, is the best, safest, location for both us and the carrier - BUT it's Rural so we have to talk to the *Rural* supervisor (then why did they send us to him?). After going to look at the property, the rural people, too, say that would be best but "It's up to the carrier." Wait... What?!? The *carrier*?!? That's just plain stupid! The *bottom* person on the rung decides?!?

The carrier doesn't listen to any of the facts and insists it *must* be on the other side of the road (and it's a busy road to boot) when *no other home on our side of the road* has to do that! To add insult to injury, the carrier stopped at the house when seeing someone outside - our grandson - and talked to him about it for a good half hour (we were not home). It was a wasted visit as he can't make the decision, isn't involved, plus is just a temporary resident.

Worst part is we're also part of a subdivision which has all city service (we're on the "back" of the limited access subdivision with no directly connecting street but are considered part of it anyway). One of the "city" guys said "If it were a city address we'd let you put it where you're wanting it to be." OK... so *what* do we have to do to get the address changed from rural to city? Crickets. I figure it has something do to with the Postal Union (a worthless organization that does nothing to benefit patrons and goes out of their way to obstruct any kind of change).

I'm likely going to put the mail box where it *needs* to be in spite of what the carrier says and *then* fight it out with the supervisor. At the moment, we're using my daughter's address for USPS stuff.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don’t like to read this thread because it’s generally too negative for me. However, I did read it just now and people need to lay off the potential political issues like bashing unions and Postmaster Generals.

By the way, you see a problematic post instead of commenting on it, can you just report it and let the moderators do their job.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Trying to peruse a website (or forum) and be bombarded by very annoying pop-up ads taking up 1/3 of the screen space. I don't understand how this is tolerated. Who wants to be subjected to that? Thank goodness for Adblock. I have to pay for it but it's 100% worth it.

Last edited:

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Uncomfortable encounters. I never talk to someone in a nasty manner, but a guy at a customer drove me to speak out. I delivered a load, so I told dispatch I was ready for my next assignment. They didn’t send anything right away, and there was plenty of trailer parking at the customer, so I was going to sit for as long as it took to get my next destination. An employee came right up to my window, and told me I had to get off the property immediately. I didn’t say anything at that point- I slowly left the dock area to the entrance road to get my info. He chased after me, and told me I had to leave. I quickly got on the phone to dispatch, and told them I needed which town I was going to, then went to the end of the entrance road. Once again, the guy came up to me, telling me to leave. I completely lost control of myself, and let a few fuck you’s fly. After this, I let my dispatcher know exactly what happened, ranting and raving. Like I said, I never talk to people this way, so it felt kind of good to blow off steam to an asshole.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Trying to peruse a website (or forum) and be bombarded by very annoying pop-up ads taking up 1/3 of the screen space. I don't understand how this is tolerated. Who wants to be subjected to that? Thank goodness for Adblock. I have to pay for it but it's 100% worth it.
The problem with ad blockers is that more and more sites will not allow access if a person uses one.

Dead2009

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
When I worked in retail, "guests" (I always thought that was a stupid way of calling them customers, they arent guests) would always asked me if I worked in a certain store. Like, the name tag, the walkie talkie and me doing my job didnt give it away?

Desslar

Screenwriter
Real Name
Stephen
When I worked in retail, "guests" (I always thought that was a stupid way of calling them customers, they arent guests) would always asked me if I worked in a certain store. Like, the name tag, the walkie talkie and me doing my job didnt give it away?
I have to say it is a little confusing in Target sometimes. "The person down that aisle is wearing a red shirt and looking very busy so... maybe they're an employee?"

Dead2009

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
I have to say it is a little confusing in Target sometimes. "The person down that aisle is wearing a red shirt and looking very busy so... maybe they're an employee?"

Yeah but Target also has shirts that only employees can get and theyre still asked if they work there.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
The problem with ad blockers is that more and more sites will not allow access if a person uses one.

True. Clickbait sites will typically require you to de-block to proceed and some will still bombard with pop-ups to annoy you into disabling but I never go for it. I'd rather not visit those sites. The main reason I cut the cable cord was because of the endless annoying ads; I'm not going to tolerate the same with internet browsing. I'd like to remain in control this time.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Uncomfortable encounters. I never talk to someone in a nasty manner, but a guy at a customer drove me to speak out. I delivered a load, so I told dispatch I was ready for my next assignment. They didn’t send anything right away, and there was plenty of trailer parking at the customer, so I was going to sit for as long as it took to get my next destination. An employee came right up to my window, and told me I had to get off the property immediately. I didn’t say anything at that point- I slowly left the dock area to the entrance road to get my info. He chased after me, and told me I had to leave. I quickly got on the phone to dispatch, and told them I needed which town I was going to, then went to the end of the entrance road. Once again, the guy came up to me, telling me to leave. I completely lost control of myself, and let a few fuck you’s fly. After this, I let my dispatcher know exactly what happened, ranting and raving. Like I said, I never talk to people this way, so it felt kind of good to blow off steam to an asshole.

What possessed him to try to keep you off the property entirely? Where else were you supposed to go?

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
What possessed him to try to keep you off the property entirely? Where else were you supposed to go?
I guess he wanted me to go to a truck stop, and wait. He could have used the “we have rules” shield all he wanted, but he/the customer is just unreasonable, and I told my company that yesterday. The only good thing that came out of it is I’m not in trouble for using that kind of language to a customer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ybmsmoke107
Recent bookmarks