What's new

What annoys you? (1 Viewer)

Corneileous

Agent
Real Name
Bill P
When lorries blow out tires and leave the giant casings lying about the interstate in the dark. (Guess what I ran over at 70mph while changing lanes on my way to work today?)
So being that you included the word "and," are you saying you're also annoyed by trucks having blowouts? Especially this time of year which was when you posted this comment? Hmm. Allow me to explain mort likely why that is.

Those tires when fully inflated have over a 100 psi in them cold. The summer heat even on a "lorry" tire is very hard on it when that pressure gets up to around 120 from the heat of the day and the friction when not to mention the fact that at any given time when that truck is loaded- which is at least 80% of the time, each one of those 18 tires is carrying anywhere from 4200 to 6500 pounds depending on position on the truck. And then when you factor in these cheap trucking company's that use recapped tires, that doesn't help much because that tread- not casing- gator, as its called, is ore than likely what that is in the road.

Recapped tires should be illegal in my opinion because most of the places that recap worn out tires aren't stringent enough when they select casings for new treads but because re-treaded tires are so much cheaper than a brand new tire, this is why so many trucking companies use them. Depending on the retreading company and which brands of new tires, a recapped tire will be close to half the price of a new one and when you have companies who run 700+ trucks at any given time who run anywhere from 3,000 miles(solo driver) to 6,500 miles(team operation) per week, that creates a lot savings when it comes to replacing tires.

Onto your request for a driver to walk back over a quarter of a mile to pull that heavy gator out of the road and then another quarter of a mile back to the truck; first off, that's a long walk and second, most of those slung treads weigh around 70 pounds. Not very safe in traffic trying to drag that out of the way. Which is also why one of the things that annoys me is when people tailgate trucks. If they only knew the damage that gator can do as it hits their car if a trailer tire blows, they wouldn't follow so close.

Pay attention better. Unfortunately there could be a number of things to run over on the highway.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
One post deleted because political discussion is not allowed here. Please, adhere to our posting guidelines before more severe disciplinary action is issued.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
So being that you included the word "and," are you saying you're also annoyed by trucks having blowouts? Especially this time of year which was when you posted this comment? Hmm. Allow me to explain mort likely why that is.

Those tires when fully inflated have over a 100 psi in them cold. The summer heat even on a "lorry" tire is very hard on it when that pressure gets up to around 120 from the heat of the day and the friction when not to mention the fact that at any given time when that truck is loaded- which is at least 80% of the time, each one of those 18 tires is carrying anywhere from 4200 to 6500 pounds depending on position on the truck. And then when you factor in these cheap trucking company's that use recapped tires, that doesn't help much because that tread- not casing- gator, as its called, is ore than likely what that is in the road.

Recapped tires should be illegal in my opinion because most of the places that recap worn out tires aren't stringent enough when they select casings for new treads but because re-treaded tires are so much cheaper than a brand new tire, this is why so many trucking companies use them. Depending on the retreading company and which brands of new tires, a recapped tire will be close to half the price of a new one and when you have companies who run 700+ trucks at any given time who run anywhere from 3,000 miles(solo driver) to 6,500 miles(team operation) per week, that creates a lot savings when it comes to replacing tires.

Onto your request for a driver to walk back over a quarter of a mile to pull that heavy gator out of the road and then another quarter of a mile back to the truck; first off, that's a long walk and second, most of those slung treads weigh around 70 pounds. Not very safe in traffic trying to drag that out of the way. Which is also why one of the things that annoys me is when people tailgate trucks. If they only knew the damage that gator can do as it hits their car if a trailer tire blows, they wouldn't follow so close.

Pay attention better. Unfortunately there could be a number of things to run over on the highway.
I’m a truck driver, and I agree with you that recaps should be outlawed. Dangerous for cars, and very time consuming for the driver who has to sit and wait for road repair (we’re not supposed to go any further when a tire comes apart). Recaps are fine for yard spotters at customers.

Corneileous

Agent
Real Name
Bill P
I’m a truck driver, and I agree with you that recaps should be outlawed. Dangerous for cars, and very time consuming for the driver who has to sit and wait for road repair (we’re not supposed to go any further when a tire comes apart). Recaps are fine for yard spotters at customers.
Even if the retreading companies would just be a little more selective when they choose used carcasses would be a big help. I’ve see brand new retreads where the carcass was over five years old.

And yeah, I have had virgin tires blow out before but no way near as much as retreaded ones and the ones that have had been cheap tires to begin with like those DoubleCoin tires. I did however have to General drive tires that blew on me over the course of the year and they weren’t recaps. But then again, I do drive a rock truck so with my permit, my drive axles/trailer tandems do hit 36,000+ in weight but my boss only puts retreads on the steel trailers. My aluminum end dump doesn’t have retreads and neither do any of the trucks.

Corneileous

Agent
Real Name
Bill P
@Corneileous I was looking at your avatar and couldn’t make it out (old eyes), then I enlarged it saw it was a pug, it is a pug, right? Pugs always make me smile. Had one when I was a kid.
It is. It’s a pug turning his head sideways….lol.

I’ve never had a Pug before but I’ve never had anything bad to say about the ones people I’ve known throughout who has.

That little Pug on Men in Black still cracks me up…

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Everything to do with flying. Such a pain in the ass. My flight leaving LaGuardia sat on the runway two and a half hours waiting to take off this afternoon. This caused me to miss my connection in Atlanta. While in the air, the Delta pilot announced that all passengers with connecting flights have already had their flights rescheduled. When we landed, sure enough, my delta app updated with my new flight and gate information. The only problem was that my new flight left 10 minutes before I even landed. That was some genius level thinking there. :rolleyes: I had to go to customer service where I was put on standby for a flight that wasn’t leaving for another 4 hours. If I don’t get a seat on that one, the next flight from Atlanta to Little Rock isn’t until Sunday. I sure as hell don’t want to spend the entire weekend in the airport.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Everything to do with flying. Such a pain in the ass. My flight leaving LaGuardia sat on the runway two and a half hours waiting to take off this afternoon. This caused me to miss my connection in Atlanta. While in the air, the Delta pilot announced that all passengers with connecting flights have already had their flights rescheduled. When we landed, sure enough, my delta app updated with my new flight and gate information. The only problem was that my new flight left 10 minutes before I even landed. That was some genius level thinking there. :rolleyes: I had to go to customer service where I was put on standby for a flight that wasn’t leaving for another 4 hours. If I don’t get a seat on that one, the next flight from Atlanta to Little Rock isn’t until Sunday. I sure as hell don’t want to spend the entire weekend in the airport.
I listen to Eddie Trunk’s show Trunk Nation on SiriusXM, and he has made comments recently about the nightmare that is air travel these days. I wonder if this country will ever get back to where we were before the pandemic.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
That sounds awful alright. I fully expected a similar story while flying from BWI to LAX a couple weeks ago, but everything was surprisingly smooth and on time. That said I think that my experience was the aberration and yours is more the norm.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I listen to Eddie Trunk’s show Trunk Nation on SiriusXM, and he has made comments recently about the nightmare that is air travel these days. I wonder if this country will ever get back to where we were before the pandemic.
My wife and I have come to accept that we may never fly again. The horror shows that get reported every day now outweigh any desire to go anywhere that requires plane travel.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Is it my imagination or are those car insurance commercials becoming more and more lame and tired of hearing their catchphrases over and over again?
It's not your imagination.

Progressive really needs to stop the endless Flo &co. ads (the current ones with Jon Hamm are even more pathetic than usual).

Geico really needs to terminate that gecko with extreme prejudice. And bury the body wherever they stashed the carcasses of the cavemen.

Liberty Mutual really needs to lose the emu (and Doug). The only bright spot in that campaign hs been "She-mu", with her pearl necklace and wing-tip sunglasses, and she's rarely seen. The only LM ad that I got a kick out of lately has been the ones with the pirate Minions. And that, only because of the eye-patch on the one-eyed Minion.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
My wife and I have come to accept that we may never fly again. The horror shows that get reported every day now outweigh any desire to go anywhere that requires plane travel.
I have to put up with flying for work but I absolutely refuse to deal with that mess for personal travel.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I don’t know if I am just too old, or Blu ray manufacturers are just getting too cheap, but I am increasingly having trouble getting the damn discs off the spindles in new cases. Is there a trick?

About a year or so, I attempted to play a new CD and broke it in 1/2 trying to get it out (Thank goodness Amazon replaced it!). With this in the back of my mind, I attempted to take out the second disc of “Fear The Walking Dead — season 7”, and found the disc bending alarmingly before it finally came out with a sort of spinning movement. The set has 4 discs, on two longer spindles (🤮) an arrangement I hate.

Does anyone have a suggestion? The set is new, and being played for the first time, although far beyond the Amazon return window. I hate the idea of breaking a disc from a set and probably having to buy it again.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
You should be pushing down on the center hub with a finger while trying to lift the disc. Most of the hubs are designed to let go when pressed down.

Otherwise, as you noted, try rotating the disc as you lift gently, rather than just trying to lift straight up.

This flexing is what can cause eventual disc failure or outright breakage (as you've found out).

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I drive by this idiocy almost every day on the way to work:

1660052313418.png

Neither the Post Office or city does anything about it (I've filed complaints with both). The mailbox post is 6" off the curb/pavement (far too close to be "legal" - the *front* of the mailbox is supposed to be 6" back from the edge of the curb) and the mailbox absolutely overhangs the street (illegal). That bush is never trimmed back properly. Most have to swing into the other lane to not have their vehicle scratched by the limbs (I have to hug the center line and I drive a "compact" type car). If you look closely you can see that the mailbox has been hit by something - likely the mirror on someone's vehicle.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I can't believe the post office would put up with it and deliver mail to it. Seems like the mail carrier's vehicle must get scratched every time they deliver, as they'd basically have to drive into the bush to get close enough to the box.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I should add that the people who own the house *decorate* that bush at Halloween, Easter, and Christmas by hanging season appropriate ornaments/junk from its branches... fortunately, they've not lit it yet... but it's certain to happen at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks