What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

What annoys you? (1 Viewer)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Are you British? Where we live near Toronto we call them cell phones (or are you referring to something else)?

We always think it is cute and Britishy when someone calls one “a mobile”.

I worked for Cingular (AT&T) for a few months. The job from hell. We had to call them "mobile phones" when we took calls. Thank goodness it was only temporary and I got the heck out of there.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
I have no idea. Those were never anywhere I lived (mostly the Mid-South) and I don't think I ever saw a commercial for one. Maybe a Northern chain? I looked it up to see if there was a location list but didn't find one. I did find their main competition was/is (they're still open in a few Northern locations) Captain D's and Long John Silvers. We had both of those for a while but they didn't last very long. Folks around here just don't cotton much to any kind of fish that's not catfish. I liked both *because* it wasn't catfish. I do like catfish but also appreciate options. I love grilled shark or tuna but just try to find either in the Mid-South - kind of hard as pretty much all "seafood" restaurants here are either a catfish house or Red Lobster (blech). :)

Captain D's and Long John Silvers are all over the place here in Georgia. We also used to have Arthur Treacher's back in the day but no longer.

I'm lucky enough to have proper British and Irish pubs in my neighborhood for some good fish and chips (with malt vinegar). I guess it pays to live in the biggest city in the South.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I humbly submit for consideration - All things with cords or things that [essentially] are cords. I know they're necessary [for the time being] but I hate them. They seem to get tangled so easily. no matter how carefully you store them. I buy gas tools for my yard work where possible and battery operated alternatives are available for many indoor tasks but there's no getting around that water hose.

There's a lot of brain power here so I remain hopeful. If we put our heads together I believe we could one day do away with all power cords, water hoses, etc. :)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
After several nice weather days, it barely got above freezing today. Between the cold and the damp, my bronchial cough made a return appearance this afternoon. It's settled down at the moment, though.

It looks like a Rain and Snow mix on my birthday, this Saturday. Winter doesn't want to let go just yet, it seems!

Ah well, there have been far worse things in my home province this week, which I won't mention here. Simply an expression of desire for peace and unity!

CHEERS! :)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
It looks like a Rain and Snow mix on my birthday, this Saturday. Winter doesn't want to let go just yet, it seems!

Wishing you an early "Happy Birthday.!!! It's [relatively] cold with wind and rain in ATL too. Heading to Bermuda tomorrow for a brief respite.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Wishing you an early "Happy Birthday.!!! It's [relatively] cold with wind and rain in ATL too. Heading to Bermuda tomorrow for a brief respite.
Thanks, John!

Appropriately, I've decided to do birthday stuff today, as the local weather is better today than is expected for my actual birthday this Saturday!

Hope you enjoy your Bermuda respite! My dad used to go there on business trips many decades ago. Never been there myself, though!

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Birds, especially in the spring. Crack of dawn they start screeching and fluttering about, congregating in large flocks and pooping on everything as they flit back and forth.

You guys post too quick! I can't keep up. I'm like six pages behind!

Re birds. I kinda hear you on the crack of dawn thing. We have a pair of wild cardinals who visit us regularly and ask for food. Every morning at 5.30a the male is perched at the top of the tree in our backyard clicking at us. I will say, however, that I love it when I open the door and he comes swooping down to rest on the deck railing. His lady friend hides in the lilac bushes until the food comes out. If I hear them outside I can actually call for them and they come.

Here are a couple of pictures I took over the winter that I'm quite proud of.

IMG_7338.png

IMG_7370.png

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I humbly submit for consideration - All things with cords or things that [essentially] are cords. I know they're necessary [for the time being] but I hate them. They seem to get tangled so easily. no matter how carefully you store them. I buy gas tools for my yard work where possible and battery operated alternatives are available for many indoor tasks but there's no getting around that water hose.

There's a lot of brain power here so I remain hopeful. If we put our heads together I believe we could one day do away with all power cords, water hoses, etc. :)

I think power cords are just part of life. I bought a battery powered trimmer for my lawn, absolute piece of garbage, wimpy, took overnight to charge and maybe got ten minutes out of it. Never again. Had a gas trimmer, but wow, what a pain to start and the smoke was horrendous, polluted the entire neighborhood. That hit the trash the first year.

I've got one 100 foot cord, covers everything. Ran over it a few times with the mower, so I'm really good at splicing wires back together :cool:

Water hose, no real way around that. My sprinkler system croaked, dog chewed many of the fixtures, snapped off the knee high garden ones, just to much fun for her, filled up with gravel and dirt, so I water the lawn by hand now.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Netflix is very much annoying me! What is the annoyance, you might ask? Selection-- all there is is new and current shows, and very few classics (unless it's Star Trek, Andy Griffith, or The Twilight Zone, you're out of luck)!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
A couple of current annoyances:
Facebook's automatic Unfriending glitch; like what the actual effing horse manure is this? :angry:

Apple Box's tendency to stall out programming streams in the middle of an episode, and sometimes out and out lock up has reared its ugly head in our household over the past couple of days. Last night, it took me 20 minutes to start a Monty Python episode, FFS!

OK, that's the worst of it.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Netflix is very much annoying me! What is the annoyance, you might ask? Selection-- all there is is new and current shows, and very few classics (unless it's Star Trek, Andy Griffith, or The Twilight Zone, you're out of luck)!
What qualifies as "classic" is a moving target. I find Netflix worth about what I pay for it these days. I use it for older TV shows I missed back in the day. Right now I'm watching "That 70's Show." Did anyone see the season four musical episode? I think maybe they let Tommy Chong direct that one. :)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
To clarify,Vanilla Fudge doesn't annoy me. Was just reacting to previous post about all the covers of the Supreme's classic. This is my favorite.

Back in the day, my favorite version was the Kim Wilde one. In those days, I didn't know it was actually a cover.

Years later, I've gradually come to appreciate the original Supremes version over all the subsequent covers.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
annoyance: Amazon jacking Prime cost up 20% the day after Bezos makes 12 billion in a single day...
I don't even have prime or plan to get it, and I find that $20 annual increase annoying, especially given the spotty service many Amazon customers have been experiencing, of late.

Also, these days it seems that anyone under 30 can't be bothered with keeping hard copies of important things, such as Income Tax records. This was basic Income Tax 101 stuff in my generation, before keeping vital records on cell phones became a thing.

Realizing that I'm no longer young in making "In my generation" references. :rolleyes:

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
I don't even have prime or plan to get it, and I find that $20 annual increase annoying, especially given the spotty service many Amazon customers have been experiencing, of late.

Also, these days it seems that anyone under 30 can't be bothered with keeping hard copies of important things, such as Income Tax records. This was basic Income Tax 101 stuff in my generation, before keeping vital records on cell phones became a thing.

Realizing that I'm no longer young in making "In my generation" references. :rolleyes:

I still keep hard copies of most of my records (taxes, utility bills up to a year, etc...), but I'm 52.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
You guys post too quick! I can't keep up. I'm like six pages behind!

Re birds. I kinda hear you on the crack of dawn thing. We have a pair of wild cardinals who visit us regularly and ask for food. Every morning at 5.30a the male is perched at the top of the tree in our backyard clicking at us. I will say, however, that I love it when I open the door and he comes swooping down to rest on the deck railing. His lady friend hides in the lilac bushes until the food comes out. If I hear them outside I can actually call for them and they come.

Here are a couple of pictures I took over the winter that I'm quite proud of.
img_7338-png.45845

img_7370-png.45846

Here's a "Winter" photo taken this afternoon! :rolleyes::
IMAG1067.jpg

Of course, it shouldn't last THIS time, right? Happy Birthday to me! ;)

Last edited:

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Fries smothered in gravy and melted cheese. That's Poutine.

Heard of them, but never come across them in the Pacific NW. Maybe time to make my own version. Haul out the deep fryer, put it on the patio now that the weather has improved (really smells up the house, so better outdoors) :) Just made some sausage gravy to go over biscuits, not sure that would be appropriate. I'll have to look up some recipes.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Bleck!!
I can’t be too superior however. One of my mother's favorite breakfasts was to take pieces of hot buttered toast, and spread mashed up banana on them. She called it “mashed banana on toast” strangely enough.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
Bleck!!
I can’t be too superior however. One of my mother's favorite breakfasts was to take pieces of hot buttered toast, and spread mashed up banana on them. She called it “mashed banana on toast” strangely enough.

That actually doesn't sound too bad and much healthier than biscuits and gravy and poutine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Denapix
Recent bookmarks