What's new

What’s the very first video game you EVER played? (arcade included) (1 Viewer)

Evan Case

Screenwriter
Very hazy, but it's one of the following: Asteroids at my cousin's house (they had the actual arcade machine and I thought they were the luckiest people in the world); Star Wars at Showbiz Pizza; or Hunt the Wumpus/Parsec/The Attack on the Texas Instruments Computer/Game Machine hybrid I had growing up in the mid-80s.
Damn, that Parsec screenshot brings back some memories: "Alert! Alert! Asteroids ahead!" I've got to find whatever cable it is that's used to hook up the TI to the TV and see if it still works. Great times.
Evan

Jeremy_Nelson

Stunt Coordinator
Pong at home on the nice looking wood grain console with the swivel controller knobs
Same here, first arcade machine was Centapide I think, grocery store near where I live, grew up playing games there centipede, asteroids, joust I remember play quite alot.

Then when I was 5 my neighbor got an atari and its been non stop since.

Sev_Erouston

Agent
Oh, 1982 for parsec. So it was a coupla years after the release of Defender. What it made just for home systems. I don't recall seeing it in arcades. Anyone tried the new Defender?

Marshall W. Carter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marshall W. Carter
For me it was probably Tron at the dollar movie theater, though the first game I ever played extensively was Space Invaders on the 2600, the first video game I ever owned. I'm a bit younger than most who would have started out with that game, but hey, may parents were late to catch on, and I was getting the 2600 when everyone else already had the NES (anyone remember the "Fun is back for $50" Atari campaign?).
I'm not complaining though, the Atari 2600 Jr. was nice hardware ;)

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
Sometime in the early 80's I got a tabletop arcade version of Pac-Man. It ran on C batteries and it was shaped just like an acrade but was less than two feet tall. That was several years before we got an Intelivision.

Sev_Erouston

Agent
Hey Marshall, I remember Tron. I can still here the sounds of the speed bikes. zzzzzzzzz. Pretty cool. Do you think that any of the classics can be brought back, updated and made better?

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
Pong for me too but the first of what I consider a real video game would be Space Invaders at the arcade. At about the same time, I started playing Asteroids at the arcade and I was hooked. I got an Atari 2600 mainly just to play Asteroids at home.

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
I can't recall which was first, being I was prolly on 2-3 years old, (1976-1977) but it was either a Pac-Man arcade machine, or an Atari Game... I think Defender.....
My favorite game of that time era was Pitfall!!! What a classic..... Swinging over the Pitfalls, and water, and avoiding the scorps:D

Kelly W

Second Unit
Back in post #38, Mike Doyle wrote:
Home: Mousetrap on the Colecovision. (The built in Game) then DK
Mousetrap was a "built-in" game? I know that the Sega Master System had a built-in game (something with a snail in a maze), but I didn't know about such a thing for the Collecovision.
How do you access it? I still have my old Colecovision (in fine working order) and I would love to know about this!
To answer the question posed in the thread topic, I guess the first game I ever played would have been something on the Odessey2. However, the first games I actually remember were a vertically-scrolling racer and Pac-Man on the 2600 and Pac-Man in the arcade. I also had a Q*Bert table top arcade game (like the Pac-Man one mentioned earlier) which was the first video game I ever owned.
-Kelly
(Oh, and I still have the Q*Bert game which works great! I still play it from time to time. :))

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
For me it was one of these three games,
Dean, thanks for taking me back with those TI-99 screenshots! I'd completely forgotten about "Alpiner" and "Parsec". Those take me back to my friend's basement for hours on end guzzling copious amounts of soda and playing those games till our eyes bled. We were computer geeks before computer geeks were cool. :)
But my first game was Pong.. on the Telstar. I think my parents still have it stored away someplace.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
katarianig
Recent bookmarks