What's new

Westworld...A movie ready for a remake... (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Normally, their are movies that should never be remade. But, I was just watching this film. And as good as it was. I think it could be remade into a very cool movie. Any ideas on casting.

Owen or Luke Wilson in the Richard Benjamin role.

Russell Crowe in the Yul Brenner role.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I think Owen Wilson would be a better fit with the James Brolin role. I think both are too cool for the Benjamin role.

I also don't Crowe as Yul. Not sure who I would put in those spots just yet. But I do agree that this is a film that COULD be a great remake, or if not done by talented people it could be another Rollerball.

I'd love to go on this ride again but with a new version.

Joel C

Screenwriter
They already did remake it. It's called Jurassic Park. But I kid (though it's pretty obvious where Crichton got the idea for the dino book... from himself).

I agree, this is a cool story that could benefit from better production values. It was a rumored remake around the time MGM was cashing in on remakes with Thomas Crown Affair and Rollerball... except then, well, Rollerball came out and ended that little operation, killing, I believe, a Logan's Run remake in the process as well.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Wasn't this one of the properties that Arnold was attached to for a while?

Jason

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey

I do remember reading that. Maybe they can reimagine it and have it take place in Sacramento.

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter
The original is very good, but I wouldn't mind seeing a more technically advanced version of it.

The sequel on the other hand . . . . .

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Umm, hasn't it just been pointed out that Jurassic Park was a "retread".

It's not like half the film noir's that ever came out were "new and original" in concept. They were just made well using some tried and true formulas, effectively being "retreads" themselves. Same with many Westerns, etc.

Bug's Life was just another Seven Samurai retread.

Good stories can and should be told over and over. It certainly doesn't make the old one go away, and if anything it draws new attention to the original in the process. I doubt that Westworld is getting tons of attention from young fans right now, so a remake certainly wouldn't lower the interest in the original.

What I most like in great remakes is when they key in on a slightly different theme and give the concept new life.

New or old story, only good filmmakers make good films. If you put Uwe Bol on some original script it won't be better than Soderberg's Westworld.

My only complaint with remakes or TV adaptations is that they often just use the name to sell the property, rather than actually putting the money and time required to make a good film.

Stephen_L

Supporting Actor
He'd never do it, but the only iconic Western star we have left is Clint Eastwood. Seeing him as the Man with No Name or William Money pursuing tourists is just to marvelous to contemplate.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

I showed the original WESTWORLD to my two nephews when they were very young and they loved it. I think younger people need to be receptive to older films, rather than waiting for another remake or retread to cater to them.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I think they should cast Kevin Costner as the robotic gunman. I have watched him act and he would be a great robot. He is a natural.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Some would argue that there aren't very many new stories, just variations on themes.

Just because a story has been done, doesn't mean you can't do it again at some point, with different actors, and a different vision.

What I don't like is doing remakes just for the sake of doing it. There are plenty out there which are pretty lifeless.

Thinking about this, I personally think a guy like Ed Harris would make a great robot.

Jason

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter

I can. Even though his voice is a bit raspy these days, he still has those eyes.

The scene of him standing in the saloon doorway at the end of Unforgiven is still chilling.

Stephen_L

Supporting Actor
I'm thinking of Clint's film history. In almost all of his early films (e.g. the Leoni westerns, Dirty Harry) he was as cooly lethal a character as you could imagine. We're just lucky he was generally on the side of justice. Westworld was cool in part because Yul Brenner had a history of being a western hero in the "Magnificent Seven" and that's why the tourists enjoyed duelling him so much. It would be terrifying to be stalked by "The Man with No Name" with those cold eyes and Mexican blanket around his neck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks