What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Weird yahoo mail problem..... (1 Viewer)

ToddJ

Second Unit
It is kinda hard to explain, but on the homepage where it shows how many emails I have, it doesn't refresh. It shows how many e-mails I had before I deleted some of them, not the current amount. I have to click on the inbox several times before it gives me the correct amount of new messages. I tried deleting the cookies on my computer, but that didn't help. any ideas on what is going wrong or is anyone else having the same problem?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
If you're using IE... the cache functionality in IE is sometimes a bit too attached to a web page.

Doing a ctrl-F5 (or was that shift-F5, don't remember) will force a reload.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
Been having the same problems for a while as well, but what's bugging me is that some of the past emails I've saved are pulling up malformed and the information may be permanently lost.

trey-m

Stunt Coordinator
Try setting your browser to reload a page at every visit. If you are using Internet Explorer, you can check the setting this way: Tools->Internet Options. On the middle of the General Tab, There is "Temporary Internet files", click Settings. Select "Every visit to the page." Choose OK, OK.

If the setting is on any other setting, your browser may be using a cached version of the page, which could explain your symptoms.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
That's the setting I've always had on IE when I use it but it doesn't seem to matter as it appears to be a yahoo thing. I don't like using the cache on the browser as most websites are always constantly changing and I don't want to see what happened in the past when I visit, I want to see what happens now.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
I'd say for the last 3 months on my end (I use various ways and browsers to access my email as well it does this to all of them). Emailing their support is of no help either, maybe I should just email some of the add sponsors and tell them that it's making it less attractive to visit yahoo (I've setup several gmail accounts as well for my migration).

trey-m

Stunt Coordinator
Some networks contain routers which do smart caching in a similar way as the browser does. So if you are having this problem from an office computer then that could be a possibility. The only way to fix that would be to ask nicely of your router administrator to turn off the cache for yahoo. But if your problem is occurring at your home too, this is very unlikely to be the reason.

Another test you could do is to try using Yahoo Messenger. It will notify you if you have new mail, and it does so independently of a browser. Unfortunately, if YM also does not work properly, then you've learned very little that you didn't already know- mainly, that it isn't a browser setting.

On the bright side, gmail rocks. In fact the only reason I haven't completely converted over to gmail is because it doesn't have virtual addresses yet. (Virtual addresses are alias email addresses that work exactly like your real address, except that they can be created and destroyed anytime. Too much spam at one address? Simply delete it.)

Good Luck.

ToddJ

Second Unit
I have been having the problem for about a month. Refreshing it doesn't help...i just have to click on the inbox 4 times and then it shows me the up to date email count. My internet goes through a router....would that be the same type of thing you were talking about for the office?

ToddJ

Second Unit
That doesn't work on mine...now i have to click on the inbox at least 5 different times to get the actual mail...it seems to be getting worse....

trey-m

Stunt Coordinator
Todd,
Regarding your router question, if you have a router at home, it is unlikely the type of router that could do auto caching. By office router I was referring to a high end router which is unlikely to be found in a home. I'm not sure but I would guess auto caching routers are upwards of thousands of dollars, as opposed to

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
You can also tweak how IE does caching.

Go to Control Panel, Internet Settings.

(I'm working on a swedish-language Windows XP so bear with me if the translations back to English aren't perfect...)

You should land at the General tab of the settings. In the middle of that page there is a field marked "Temporary Internet files". There is a button there marked Settings. Clicking on that will let you select that IE checks if the page being visisted is current every single visit.

That might help with stubborn cache problems. Clearing out the cache entirely might also help.

See also: this web page from Microsoft.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;260897

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
To me it's an obvious Yahoo problem because I've used multiple browsers from multiple computers. I have IE setup for "every visit to page" as well as similar settings for Netfront on my phone and PDA. I'm to the point of looking for other options than visiting yahoo when I surf.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xcvbszdfzsfsa
Recent bookmarks