Weird language confession.

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Paul_Sjordal, Oct 15, 2003.

1. Paul_Sjordal

Paul_Sjordal Supporting Actor

Lately I've been watching movies in foreign languages, and I don't mean watching Mononoke Hime in its original language (although I also do that). I'm talking about watching, say, Lilo and Stitch in Spanish or Matrix: Reloaded in French. With English subtitles of course.

Why? Because it really changes my perception of the visual part of a movie. To be more accurate, it forces me to pay more attention to the visual aspect. Then again, I could just be imagining things. *shrug*

Psychosomatic or not, I've been going through my DVD collection and re-watching movies in foreign languages. The English subtitles are there in case I can't remember what's being said in a particular scene, but mostly I'm watching the composition, the odd little background details, etc. I'm having a blast doing it to boot. [​IMG]

So does anyone else do this, or am I just weird?

OK, scratch the second part of that question. [​IMG]

2. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i do the same thing, from time to time. i started doing it when i found a HILARIOUS version of caddyshack in spanish on telemundo. i figured it would be on the dvd release, but no luck. i then started looking for other spanish dubs of movies that i knew basically every word, in order to learn something about the language. but the other day, i was about to watch amelie and somehow didnt turn the subtitles on, so i just left it and looked at the movie, i had already seen it, so i just took in the visuals. so, if you are just weird for doing this, then so am i. i quite enjoy it too.

CJ

3. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

The French dub of South Park: Bigger Longer and Uncut is worth watching all the way though... hilarious [​IMG]

4. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

I'd say the Spanish dub of Dogma is worth watchign. Same with The Jungle Book, if you can find it.

5. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

6. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Steven Spielberg advises beginning filmmakers to watch movies with the sound entirely off. It's a way to focus on how much of the story is being conveyed through purely visual information.

M.