What's new

Weird games that you have played... (1 Viewer)

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
I was just going through the 100th issue of Game Informer, and they had a section of the 5 weirdest games ever released...so I got to thinking, what weirdo things have we played???
To start - I'll list the 1st three that come to my mind:
1. Incredible Crisis.(PSOne)
If you have a PSOne,and want to try something different, than you MUST try this...Basicially its a bunch of minigames woven into a weirdo story, but OMG, I haven't laughed so hard at a game in a long while...The story goes like this:
There is a typical family whose Grandma is having her birthday today - so she wants the family home early to celebrate. And it turns out to be the worst day of said family's life. From trying to stop a runaway elevator, to shooting down a Godzilla-sized teddy bear, to giving a lady a back massage ( I kid you not...) this is just one messed up game.
2. Panic (Sega CD)
There is , from what I can see no point to this game....you go to a screen , press a button, and either you go to the next stage, or something funny happens....this is all...if you have a Sega CD, again this is wayyyy out there.
3.Seaman (Dreamcast)
A human/fish hybrid Tamagotchi sim?? That you talk to??? And they talk back???? What were they thinking?? But, I'd rather try something like this than another tired sequel...
Any others??
------------------
"Don't make me angry....You wouldn't like me when I'm angry......"

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The DC had a ton of weird games, but they were all puzzle games. I love puzzle games, but not as many as they had.

Kenneth

Supporting Actor
On the computer I played through "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream" which was pretty weird, especially the ending. Another weird one on the PC was the one done by H. R. Geiger but I can't remember the name. It was definitely weird though. I was always pretty mainstream on the consoles.
Kenneth

Joe D

Supporting Actor
I think that "I have no mouth, and I must scream" won an Adventure game of the year award from some computer magazine when it came out. I sometimes say that around people, and they usually reply "What?", cracks me up all the time.
------------------
Joe Dahlen
"Take hold of the flame, you've got nothing to lose, but everything to gain."

paul h

Supporting Actor
I remember something by Jeff Minter, think it was Attack of the Mutant Llamas or something like that...basically a copy of Defender but with Llamas!!!

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I remember something by Jeff Minter
Heh. Jeff Minter is The Man. He's a programming "God" in the UK for a lot of programmers & game industry bods - the man is a legend.
All of his games are strange/weird in some shape or fashion, which is kinda what makes him so unique & stand-out. Even after all these years, he's still doing exactly what suits him regardless of commercial appeal.
------------------
Nothing In Particular

Camp

Senior HTF Member
With Nuon out of the loop, what's Minter up to now?
I think some version of his Virtual Light Machine should be standard on all DVD players. It's great.
I just got Defender 2000 (a Minter game) for my Jaguar. It's just as bad as Tempest 2000 is good. Even his wacked out effects seem half-assed in Defender 2000. Good thing it's got the original game on it or I might have tossed it in the trash!

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
He's working on new games for the Nuon, Camp
wink.gif

------------------
Nothing In Particular

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
The Geiger influenced games you're thinking of are Darkseed 1 and 2, for which Geiger did the artwork.

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I played Darkseed 1 on the Commodore Amiga several years ago. That was indeed a bizaar game.
Cool though...great atmosphere.
BTW, Giger is my fave artist so, it was a no brainer that I'd get the game.

Adnan Sheikh

Stunt Coordinator
Bad Mojo, anyone?
You played as a cockroach trying to become a human again (scientist, terrible accident, etc.) The game took place inside your own house...
Pretty wild :).
------------------
Adnan Sheikh
Resident :) abuser

Marshall W. Carter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marshall W. Carter
Yeah, Minter has revealed a few aspects of his next NUON title (by the sound of it, he's seemingly intending on releasing a few titles in a relatively short time period) on his site (the YaK's Zoo), not to mention the nuontalk.tv forum. Sounds interesting too, as he hints at it being an update to something he's done before, and being in 2D. All quite interesting, at least to a fellow like me... As for D2K on the Jag, it wasn't up to par, but he did manage to add a couple of decent easter eggs, Plazma Pong & LLamaDefender.
As for NUON being 'out of the loop,' well, it's certainly not mainstream yet, but things are picking up. Samsung's N501 is finally hitting Best Buys, as well as games ($19-$29) and the Logitech controller, which is a good thing. Toshiba is also releasing another player, as well as Oritron & LGE. Games are still at a trickle, but hey, Tempest 3000 is killer, as on the subject of unique games, Freefall 3050 AD on NUON is about as weird/unique as they come, although it's not really for everyone...
As for other weird games, I'd say that Baldies (Jag CD), Psychic Detective (3DO), Seventh Cross: Evolution (Dreamcast), Robinson's Requiem (3DO) are all on the unusual side.
Guess that does it for now...

paul h

Supporting Actor
Anyone else remember a shoot em up on the Amiga called Apidya??? it was basically a take on Nemesis but using insects instead! its a cracking little shooter though...not sure if it was successful.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
How about Attack Of The Mutant Penguins on the Jaguar? A thoroughly bizarre, yet highly playable, game which had me and my brothers cracking up.
I've also got to score a copy of Ninja Golf for the 7800 soon.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Hmm... thats got to be Tokyo Bus guide... the thought of following all rules driving a bus may seem boring, but actually its not that bad...
------------------
menasig.jpg

Andre F

Screenwriter
Maybe is was just weird to me but....I thought Maniac Mansion for the NES was kinda strange.
-Andre
------------------
-= Take your stinking paws off me you damn dirty ape! =-

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks