What's new

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
And again, my main question is: why even bother with a DVD only release? DVD and BD pressing costs are pennies apart. The infrastructure is there and in place. And if these shows are originally filmed in HD, the mastering is not cost-prohibitive either.

Like I said, if the stance is "physical media sales are not worth it, we're going streaming" ... well I won't like it but I'll at least understand it. But to say we'll spend enough to make DVD sets, but not BD sets is what's confusing to me.

I get that each company has bean counters that keep track of these things, and maybe there's good data to support the logic behind all these DVD only releases of TV series that are natively shot in HD. I'd love to see those figures though, just to satisfy my own curiosity.

My guess is that it's simply because there's a greater potential audience that owns dvd capable players vs. blu ray only players.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Because they are a smaller distributor, sales numbers that are considered valuable to Shout Factory would likely not be big enough for a studio like Universal to produce the product on their own. Hence, the licensing. But as has been mentioned, Fox hasn't done that in.a while.

Plus, Fox is now Disney and subject to Disney's release policies. They license things out to other distributors even less than Universal does.

I can come up with exactly three titles that Disney has licensed out to other distributors. There might be more, but they're pretty rare. The only ones I can come up with are Boy Meets World, which went to Lionsgate after Disney released the first three seasons on their own and couldn't justify continuing. Day Break (the short-lived but awesome Tase Diggs series) went to Mill Creek for a low-priced 2-disc reissue years after a 4-disc version issued by Disney fell out of print. And Galavant was licensed to VEI, which finally put it out In November 2017. The series finale had aired on January 31, 2016, and it took 22 months for it to be tossed out as an afterthought because Disney did not believe in its potential enough to release it themselves.

I love all three of those shows that I just mentioned, but none of those even approached the pop culture phenomenon status that Modern Family did, at least in its early seasons. There is no way that Disney would ever license out a show as big and important to them as Modern Family is. Either Disney will release a box set at some point or it won't come out. I believe it's probably the latter, but would love to be wrong.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I had to buy complete series of The Americans on DVD. Not released in blu-ray and don't know why. But the PQ is still pretty high. I didn't know how else to see it; is it not streaming in HD somewhere?

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
is it not streaming in HD somewhere?

It is, actually. For the time being, it's included with Amazon Prime membership and has been for a while. It may also be on Hulu as part of the new FX on Hulu initiative that Disney set up, but I don't have Hulu so can't speak to that. I suspect that Disney might pull it over to Hulu exclusively after Amazon's deal for it expires, but I don't know when that will be.

Speaking of other FX shows that have ended, Fox released season 1 of The Bridge on Blu-ray but followed that up with a DVD-only second season after the series was cancelled. I still bought it to complete my collection, although I would have obviously preferred to have season two on Blu-ray as well.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thanks ever so much for the RoundUp, Mike!

Two boxsets for me:
  • Western Classics I
  • Film Noir: The Dark Side of Cinema III

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

tenor.gif
;)

Attachments

• 1592038477746.png
    1592038477746.png
    212.2 KB · Views: 206

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks