What's new

Weekly Roundup 4/29 (1 Viewer)

Daren Welsh

Supporting Actor
The mentions of e-tailers is not exactly unwelcome, just confusing. Especially since DDD is inevitably the one that is mentioned...just about every time! Why is that?
Because DDD is typically the cheapest place to buy DVDs :) Of course that usually only holds true to stuff that's been out for a week or more. I usually start with this thread for new releases and then do my own check with DDD to see if the trip to the local BB is worth it. I've found that it's usually cheaper at BB for the release week, but then DDD is the way to go thereafter (barring any crazy discounts and sales). Nevertheless, I appreciate this thread because it's a great summation of the B&M specials.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
2-disc "Two Evil Eyes" (George Romero/Dario Argento anthology film) is advertised in the Best Buy circular for $19.99. Who knows? Maybe they'll even have it in stock.

What the hell is "100 Women" anyway?

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Dave,

People might want to hold off on buying The Whole Bean, since it has been confirmed that it has altered(cut) episodes.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
John, they probably should read up about that themselves and make a decision. Read here and here for info!

Adrian: 1 season, as noted by "S1" in the grid.

Dan: I would guess that the Xena price being $10 over list is a typo in the Circuit City system; they really don't do that. I expect that Best Buy's price on Bean ($33.19?) is a typo as well.

Daren, I guess I kind of get that about "Why DDD?" (though I doubt I'd ever be patient enough to wait for their slow shipping; I enjoy quick closure to transactions so I don't lose track of the situation). But that still leaves the question of "why so many posts about e-tailer prices in THIS thread?" Oh, well...

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
David, on the DDD post situation. I'm sorry but a couple of times I have been guilty of including that information. But I usually only do it on very popular titles that have a significant price advantage by using DDD. Basically, so the less savvy visitors here are aware of the option. I try not to post every single slightly better DDD deal, just the ones that really stand out. And as always, thanks for all your hard work with the roundup. Any idea why B5 Season Two is not having as low of prices as Season One did? IIRC, it was like $59.99 at Best Buy.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I don't remember B5 Season 1 having great prices at any retail stores. I am pretty sure I would have bought it at Best Buy if it was $60 there. I thought the prices were relatively similar to what S2 is this time around. For some reason my local BJs has never even had S1 in stock, while they've had loads of other season sets. I ended up getting S1 from North American DVD last time.

Thanks for the weekly roundup Dave. You can never really tell with online vs. B&M stores. When online stores regularly had preorders for 40% off then they usually were better deals, but those discounts are few and far between these days. For many titles the B&Ms have the better price during the first week they go on sale. Then sometimes the warehouse stores have the best prices for the 2nd week on and sometimes the online stores do. And then there are all those titles which eventually get marked down below what was originally a great price in the first place.

Neil

Alex Morrow

Stunt Coordinator
The bestbuy near me went below $60 for the B5 season 1 sets, but that was a while after they had been released. Looks like I'll be having to get most of my dvds online this week. Oh well...

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Thanks as always for the Roundup, Dave. I was hoping for better deals on Treasure Planet - hopefully Wal-Mart will come through, as they often do for Disney titles (still can't get over those Miyazaki prices a few weeks ago).

As for why folks occasionally post DDD & other e-tailer deals here - I honestly think people are just trying to be helpful to other members. If the situation is as JohnCo described, what's the harm in posting the occasional great online deal? This is the place everyone comes looking for deals on release week, so it's the best place to get the word out. You should be flattered!

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
As soon as somebody finds out about the availability and price of Treasure Island at Target, please post information. Thanks.

Jodee

Screenwriter
I had no idea we weren't supposed to post online deals in this thread. I thought the whole idea of the thread was the cheapest prices on new releases. Often, the big box retailers don't sale price many new releases (including catalog titles and more obscure indie films.)

Rather than paying full price at BB, I just think it's makes sense to order online from DDD or DVD Empire when they have the best deal. My DVD budget is tight and I can't afford to pay an extra $5 or so on a DVD when I don't have to.

In last week's thread, a poster saved me a money AND a trip to the store. The only new release I was going to buy was "Standing in the Shadows of Motown" which was $13.99 at Circuit City. I wasn't able to get to the store on Tuesday but I read a post here that said DDD had it for $12.22. Since it was the only title I wanted, and I wasn't interested in any of the "add-on" deals, just the lowest price, I placed my order from DDD and saved myself time and money.

I appreciate hearing about these deals, especially when the online deal Iincluding shipping) handily beats any of the B&M prices.

Especially in the case of the Awful Truth deal that was posted-- $10 to $15 is nothing to sneeze at. I'd be upset knowing I spent that much as BB and I could have bought another DVD by buying it at DDD.

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor

I didn't realize this was going to be an big deal. I just wanted to give an heads up for people that were gong to pick this dvd set up so that they could save a few dollars. Please forgive my error in judgment.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Guys & gals, it was not my intent to make anyone feel BAD over posting e-tailer prices. Please don't take my question the wrong way!

I was genuinely expressing curiousity over how the situation came to be. Keep in mind that I'm no moderator, and that I don't get to tell ANYONE in ANY thread on the HTF what they may or may not post. There's no "crime" here, and no apologies needed. All sorts of participation are welcome.

I was just curious, that's all. Re-reading my post, I guess I could have lightened it up a tad more, but I think I expressed exactly what I meant to?...

In any case, Jodee's explanation is a good way to put it, and Robert's simple response that he wanted to help people save money is, after all, why I do this thread. I guess my own prejudices are just showing here, since I vastly prefer in-store shopping. I like to handle (maybe that should be "fondle"? :wink: ) the package myself and make the choice of which copy will be selected for me. After all, it's MY money I'm parting with! Certainly worth $2-odd more to run to Costco and do that with The Awful Truth. Of course, not everyone is a Costco member, and since they stopped doing their own 1-day passes, online would be the way to go for this title if you don't have Costco access.

I think that more and more I'm running out of steam on this weekly project, so maybe I'm just grumpy about that. :D

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Robert-eb and others, in all fairness to David, I don't think he was getting terribly upset over this and trying to make a big deal. I think he was just perplexed, perhaps now we have explained some of the reasoning. And why, in particular, it is often DDD that gets mentioned is they often have the best online price, besides beating B&M.

And as Craig S said, I don't think he would object too much to the occassional pointing someone to a much better deal at DDD, if they're willing to wait just a little longer to get a given title.

Just my 2 cents, I could be wrong. :b

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Plus, you get MovieCash good for a free admission to "X2," up to $12, so your potential final price for "X 1.5" could be seen as $5.99.

I was against this particular double-dip, since it seemed to offer so little, but at a good price with DTS and MovieCash I'm now considering it.

Jodee

Screenwriter
David-- maybe it would be worth considering switching DDD with Amazon for your "baseline" online retailer? Since they usually have the lowest online price (and no shipping add-ons) they might be a good comparison next to the B&M deals.

What do you think?

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor

I appreciate the work that is involved in the Weekly Roundup and I didn't take your response the wrong way. I didn't realize that you wanted to dedicate the prices primarily to the B&M chains. I just thought that the point of the Roundup was to help the members of this forum too save a few bucks.

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
I figure that Costco will have most or all of the Paramount titles for $11.99, based on the Paramount finds there last week
I would be interested in the following titles this week (all Paramount titles):

- Le Mans
- Little Big Man
- A Man Called Horse

Since DDD only lists 'Little Big Man' and at a $13+ price point and I'm a Costco member I would appreciate if anyone has any news on these titles (especially if they go for the anticpated $11.99). Thanks.

Joel

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks