What's new

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I've been using Barnes & Noble as my primary source, if they don't have something I would stop by the local Target (Also a very small selection) and give them a try, then I go use Amazon.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The problem with Amazon is that they don't deliver new Disney releases on time. I have traditionally used Best Buy for Disney releases and the occasional steelbook. I'll probably move my Disney purchases to Target or Walmart. I still won't trust Amazon on a Disney title.
Yeah, I'm hoping that Best Buy hangs on to physical media through March so I can actually get The Abyss and True Lies when they come out and not wait because of some nonsense between Amazon and Disney. I may just order them through Target but I imagine that every retailer is going to be out of those titles when they come out because they'll somehow be surprised that two movies that people have been waiting for decades to get on disc and have high pre-order numbers are popular.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
The problem with Amazon is that they don't deliver new Disney releases on time. I have traditionally used Best Buy for Disney releases and the occasional steelbook. I'll probably move my Disney purchases to Target or Walmart. I still won't trust Amazon on a Disney title.
On top of that, I have zero interest in paying for Prime.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Stopped at a Target yesterday and found the usual 12 feet of so of one side of one aisle with recent releases and one endcap with new releases. Didn't see any Indiana Jones anywhere, though this store seemed to be having restocking issues (piles of boxes clogging up many aisles, very hard to get around) so maybe they hadn't put them out yet. The bigger issue was that none of the price tags on the shelf matched the titles on the shelf. For whatever titles they have, they appear to just be throwing them on the shelves randomly. Had to find a price scanner to get a price or hunt through all the shelf tags to try and find the match.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Following up on the Target discussion from earlier in this thread, I happened to be in Target on Friday for something else and decided to take a look. I found one shelf for Blu-rays that was even less stocked than previously mentioned in this thread. There was almost nothing on it. One Barbie UHD, two Oppenheimer Blu-rays, one or two 1883 DVDs. The title that had the most stock was My Big Fat Greek Wedding 3 which might have been four or five. I might be projecting with that movie because I really didn't like it but it felt like they had been sitting there because nobody wants it. There was no Dial of Destiny at all even though it came out on Tuesday.

I hadn't had occasion to go to a Target in quite some time. I was not expecting a huge selection but was still startled to see how small it was. They had a bunch of vinyl that I didn't really look through because I don't have a record player, but that was all I saw for video. It was kind of sad.

Given this, I'll probably end up trying Wal-Mart first next year for Disney titles once Best Buy completes its exit. As I mentioned, the Disney releases are what I usually get from Best Buy in lack of trusting Amazon to deliver those. Of course, Disney releases are the ones I buy most frequently out of any studio. But I don't want The Marvels or Wish, which are the probably the next two big titles Disney will release on disc. So it might be a while before I need another one. We'll see what happens.

Last edited:

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Following up on the Target discussion from earlier in this thread, I happened to be in Target on Friday for something else and decided to take a look. I found one shelf for Blu-rays that was even less stocked than previously mentioned in this thread. There was almost nothing on it. One Barbie UHD, two Oppenheimer Blu-rays, one or two 1883 DVDs. The title that had the most stock was My Big Fat Greek Wedding 3 which might have been four or five. I might be projecting with that movie because I really didn't like it but it felt like they had been sitting there because nobody wants it. There was no Dial of Destiny at all even though it came out on Tuesday.

I hadn't had occasion to go to a Target in quite some time. I was not expecting a huge selection but was still startled to see how small it was. They had a bunch of vinyl that I didn't really look through because I don't have a record player, but that was all I saw for video. It was kind of sad.

Given this, I'll probably end up trying Wal-Mart first next year for Disney titles once Best Buy completes its exit. As I mentioned, the Disney releases are what I usually get from Best Buy in lack of trusting Amazon to deliver those. Of course, Disney releases are the ones I buy most frequently out of any studio. But I don't want The Marvels or Wish, which are the probably the next two big titles Disney will release on disc. So it might be a while before I need another one. We'll see what happens.
Yeah, the store I went to also had Vinyl on the endcaps instead of a new release section for movies like they used to.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Just saw this on The Digital Bits:

Speaking of Walmart, some of our industry sources have informed us that starting in February, Walmart will only be “resetting” (aka stocking) new titles on its store shelves every other week. Apparently, Target already does this. So if you visit their store locations on street date, there are going to be times when you won’t find new titles on the shelves and you’ll have to ask store clerks to retrieve one from the stockroom for you (if they’re wiling). We’re hearing this is down to labor costs. In any case, we thought it was worth sharing for those of you who go hunting for new titles at Walmart and Target stores.

This just irritates me to no end. "Labor costs"?? I.E. paying an employee to actually do their job?? Please explain to me how it helps your bottom line to just have product sitting in the back room and not out on the shelves where it can actually be sold and generate you income? WTF? SMH! I just can't anymore.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Just saw this on The Digital Bits:

This just irritates me to no end. "Labor costs"?? I.E. paying an employee to actually do their job?? Please explain to me how it helps your bottom line to just have product sitting in the back room and not out on the shelves where it can actually be sold and generate you income? WTF? SMH! I just can't anymore.
The labor cost is probably having less people work during each shift.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks