What's new

Weekly Roundup 10/21 (The Man With The Hat Is HERE!) (1 Viewer)

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Just a heads-up--the guy at Best Buy figured he was likely to sell out of the widescreen Indy sets already. They had a shitload of MARred copies, of course, which looked like they hadn't been touched. Good planning there, guys. :rolleyes

Andrea W

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrea Whitlock
I find that surprising (but great to hear for you). Usually that Wal-Mart is not very good (selection and especially price-wise) for dvds. I went to the one close to me (281 and 1604) this morning when I got up and all they had was full screen in the dvd section (they usually do a good job stocking WS). I asked the guy if they had any widescreen, and he told me that was all they had. Of course while I'm walking out they have a display, again all full screen, except for the bottom row. I grab a widescreen and go to the checkout. It rings up $45 (this Wal-Mart usually has really good prices, but not this time), so I give him the Eckard's ad. He has to call over a supervisor, who stares at it, notices the picture isn't the same, but goes ahead and price matches. Whew!
George, I had a friend who went grocery shopping there this morning. She mentioned to me she saw it for "$33 something." I already had it, of course, but as of this morning, that Walmart still had the good price.

I'm not particularly impressed with that store (accept for their Indy price), but it's close to home.

Nick T Robot

Supporting Actor
...the less than friendly associate copies the ad and rings me up...noting on the yellow pricematch slip this big whigs name....
I might be wrong, but they are already losing money on these sets at $44.99 (They lose money on a lot of newly released DVD) but they do that to bring in customers to buy the big stuff (Still hasn't worked with me, I buy 90% of my DVDs their and have yet to buy anything else! I even tried to get a TV there but they didn't have the model I wanted and their prices weren't as good as the place I ended up going. The rest of my home theater was purchased online.)

The sticker on the Set says $56.99 and they sold it to me for $33.99 ($10 price match plus 10% per the store's price match policy)

Howard Glenn

Stunt Coordinator
Dave,

Thanks once again for your hard work. I think the best part of this week's thread is that it's a two quote week!:D

With no Eckerd's in my area I did the next best thing and went with the Fry's price match and got Indiana Jones for $38.99.

For me, the best deals this week were Captain Kronos-Vampire Hunter for $5.98, and Dragonslayer for $9.36, both from DDD.

Howie

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
Call me crazy, but I actually went to Eckerd's this morning to see if they had any Widescreen copies in stock. They didn't even have any copies of Indy at all, so I just snagged the flier and got a pricematch at Best Buy.

Gregory

Randy B A

Supporting Actor

I converted my bonus disc to a 2 disc slim and put the BB extra disc in with that.

Not to sound like I am complaining, but if these had all been 2 disc sets for the movies they would look cool in the slim 2 disc LOTR TTT brown cases. I have some of those cases so I may use them to see how they look.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I hate to double post, but as I reported over in the Indy thread a little while ago. My BestBuy took the "all the local Eckerd's don't have any--we called" tact. So, they wouldn't price match. I got it anyway at BB's $44.99 price, but will probably return it after a successful pricematch at my local Wal-Mart.

Oh. I forgot to mention in the other thread, they were much less than friendly about the situation. Gotta just love customer relations.

Wayne W

Stunt Coordinator
I picked up the Indy set (w/ bonus disc) for $34.99 at the Best Buy in Frisco, TX with no problem.

A friend went to the same store an hour later and they were no longer price matching the set. Apparently the store had called an Eckerd's and they didn't have any in stock. He went to another Best Buy and they price matched, but wouldn't do it with the bonus disc.

I forgot all about Pink Floyd-Live at Pompeii...I need to pick that one up.

Brian W. Ralston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian W. Ralston
I was in price matching hell this morning. Got to Best Buy 30 minutes after they were open and they were already sold out of the "few" copies of Battlestar Galactica. After 20 minutes!!! So I got Indy and left for CC. They were also sold out of their "2 copies".
(What is it with these stores that advertise sale prices on items and then only get a couple copies in stock). Rather annoyed....went to Wal-Mart. Afterall.....their web site lits Galactica for the same $79.99 price as CC.

They had like 10 copies of the Galactica Set. The checker in the movie area said the set was scanning at $99.98. I showed her a printout of the Wal-Mart web site and her manager standing behind her quickly said, "We don't price match our site. They are cheaper cause they don't have to stock shelves and you have to pay for shipping." What BS!! I asked, "$20 cheaper? $20 more to put a box on a shelf?"

I then left there to go the the customer service desk to ask their price match policy. They confirmed that they would not price march the 79.99 Wal-mart web site price or any other Wal-Mart store....but when I showed them the Circuit City Ad for the same 79.99 price.....they would honor that.

WHAT THE HELL!!!!!!! Won't price match their own site....but will price match another store's site?

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
PM'd Indy at Wal*Mart this morning. Didn't even think of going through the trouble of trying it at BB (they're pretty snotty around here). The 10 minute 5th disk was not worth the additional $10. I noticed that Costco had it stacked at the entrance for $42.99, normally the winning price in this crazy market.

BTW, Eckard didn't have any in stock this am but promised to let me know if they get any WS in stock. If they do I will post it here. Somehow I doubt it.

Joel

Brian E

Screenwriter
Wow Brian, glad I didn't have your troubles. I was lucky enough to get Battlestar PM'd at BB for the $79.99 price with no hassles what so ever. They had about a dozen copies in stock.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
We don't price match our site
How bizarre...

Oddly enough, my local WalMarts were not carrying BG:CE.

They indicated it was a 'web-only' purchase.

Went to CC instead, but there were no copies visible.

When I pulled a clerk over, they got one out of the back.

Not going to sell many copies doing that...

Adrian_S

Second Unit
I took the easy way out.. I got Indy at BB for the bouns DVD for 44.95, picked up Charlies Angels 2 for $25, and order Battlestar Galactica at Overstock for $73.21 shipped.

I'm going to hold off on Taken until I can picked it up used.... Oh yeah, and my Forever Knight Season 1 shipped for 23.99 from BB.... :)

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Does anyone happen to have a scan of the Eckerd's ad? Closest store to me is about a half hour away. Then again so is BB if I want the bouns disc. I'm trying to get a friend to track one down for me, but maybe I could get someone to honor a printout of a scanned ad.

If I can't get BB to match, it's Wallyworld for me for the $10 savings! (Plus, I can use the $20 Gift card I got for my birthday :) )

Can't believe Indy is finally out and I haven't picked it up yet. Tomorrow at the earliest. To think I had Episode II just after midnight. What's wrong with me?
:D

Noel

Grip
Just returned from Costco.Picked up Indy($32.99 w/$10.00 coupon)&
28 Days Later($17.29 w/$4.00 mail-in rebate).:)

Jeff Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Brooks
BB-Perimeter, (Dunwoody GA), price-matched Indy with Eckerd's, Rush In Rio with CC, and Eagles Greatest hits CD with CC. They did not even blink! I had all the ads with me; but, the last time I was in the store, they price-matched on Lion King without an ad at all. You coulda knocked me over with a feather. I'm going to buy from them, anyway; but, I'm sure going to look at this thread every week, now, and grab the ads. I saved $16. Between the Rewards programs and the coupons in the Coming Attractions DVD box, I'll save quite a chunk on over $200 worth of releases just through December. Thanks, David and everyone!

Robert Wainwright

Stunt Coordinator
Got to the local BB just after opening with my Eckerd ad in hand. Grabbed Indy and 28DL. The checkout clerk would not honor the ad. I asked for the mgr. I was sent over to the Cust Svc desk where the response was "this is a different set, it's five discs." I replied that I would buy the four disc and immeadiately return it for the five disc since it's the same price. He gave up and honored (and confiscated) the ad. The guy behind me without the ad was not honored so he walked.

RonR

Stunt Coordinator
Got the pm at my local WalMart, guy said I was the first one in and asked me for the flyer so he could get the same price. I got the last widescreen set, did see a bunch of the new Christmas Vacation's for $13.24, may have to head back there on payday to pick that one up.Good luck all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks