What's new

Wearing the wife down - now bestbuy has 24 mo. no interests - what size rptv? (1 Viewer)

Brian Bowles

Second Unit
Well I think the wife might be thinking about the purchase now. Bestbuy now has 24 months no interest so the purchase will not hit as hard. I have the big decision of deciding on a 57 or 65 inch rptv. Can someone give me the pros and cons of each? There is a pic of my room that it will go in on my website. It is in the home gallery section Bowles Family Website

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
A few points:
- Best Buy carries some Toshiba/Mitsu models, but some features are deactivated on the ones sold through BB. Try looking at a Misubishi dealer other than BB. Mitsubishi is offering zero interest financing for 2 years.
I always think bigger-is-better. (at least more impressive :) ). For an ordinary RPTV the rule was:
Measure the diagonal screen size, double this value and sit this far away from the front of the screen.
I think HDTV has a similar formulia. Here is a link to a Viewing Distance Calculator that might be useful to you.
But after you buy, you start to wonder "Should we have gotten the bigger screen?" so keep this in mind.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Yup bigger is always better. Like that Sears advertisement on TV,..."If we go smaller, later on we wish we had gone bigger."

Aaron Smithski

Stunt Coordinator
Brian,
I too did the Best Buy "no interest" deal last January when I purchased my 47" Panasonic. This is what I learned:
1. The 18 month no interest deal seemed pretty sweet. I assumed it was a no interest, no payment deal without reading the fine print. Wrong. There are minimum monthly payments due totaling 2.5% of the unpaid balance. That may or may not be an issue to you.
2. I really had to work hard to get them to drop to the competitor-across-the-street's price of $1800. They were at $2000 and we went around and around for half an hour over the $200. In retrospect, it was not worth my time.
3. Of course, my $1800 TV with no interest became a $1350 TV shortly after purchase! This is what I could have got it for 5 months later. I would have much rather waited and got the better deal and paid cash for it. Now I am suffering from "no interest syndrome" and do not see the rush to pay off the BB card since it is not costing me interest! :D
4. It was a somewhat hasty decision due to the time constraints of the "deal". I (like you) wondered what size to get and figured the 47" would work out best at my viewing distance. Now, I can see after living with the 47" that I like the THX viewing recommendations and wished I had a 58" Pioneer!
After looking at your room pics, I would definitely go with the 65"!
Aaron

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Looking at the picture, the 65" is a no-brainer. The only consideration is if your entrance way is constricted somehow. Take good measurements.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks