What's new

WE WON!!!!! 1st EVER GOLD!!!! GO OZ (1 Viewer)

Rob Longmore

Stunt Coordinator
Whhohhooo Australias first ever gold medal in a Winter Olympics !!!!! and the way he won it! So Australian, just sit bac and hope the others will stuff up!!!! and they DID!

Jason Merrick

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Merrick
I'm glad Australia got their first ever Winter gold, but the way they did it certainly leaves something to be desired... doesn't it? Not that they are to blame in anyway, but that race should have been re-run. The top 4 skaters, within feet of the finish line, taken out by no fault of their own.

That sucks.

Rob Longmore

Stunt Coordinator
He won fair and square! Just look ath the Daytona 500, 1/2 the field crashed out! does that mean the race should be restated because the better drivers crashed out????
sure he wasnt the best skater! he admitted that! but that racing! accidents happen! and luck plays a big part!
im sorry if i sound a little defensive! i mean it in a friendly way! :)

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
It was classic. The whole field wiped out on the last lap :laugh::laugh: , GO AUSSIES!!..
Rob,
Have you been watching Roy and H.G ? Its been really funny the past week. When they had Bradbury on last night even he was laughing about his win.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I applaud the Aussie on the win. Make no mistake, he won it fair and square. Guys getting wiped out and "handing" him the victory is part of the competition. That's why they put more than one skater on the ice, to increase the risks and make the race a true challenge. Otherwise, it would just be guys out there racing a clock.

Bruce

Rob Longmore

Stunt Coordinator
I have watched Roy and HG every night! even managed to get the first post on The ice dream discussions and inernet votes 2 times!! whoohoo! my 15 mins of fame! i just wish it was on a little earlier, makes it tough to get up 4 hrs later to go to work!

How Many of our American HTF mebers get their sence of humor?

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I'm pretty sure they are only screened over here in Australia. I love the way they pick something and go at it with full steam. They take the piss out of everything and don't take anything seriously - that is the Australian way :)
P.S: Rob, SMIGGIN HOLES 2010, ALL THE WAY :)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
That win by the Aussie was great, I was laughing (with joy) so hard, I think my contacts flew out. Don't forget that he not only did that in the gold medal race, he (and somebody else) also did the same thing in the semifinal, pull the victory out of the hands of defeat. Congratulations to Australia!

Jay

Steve Owen

Second Unit
Not only did he win the gold medal that way, he got into the finals the same way as well! Talk about luck!

That's the nature of short-track speed skating though... sitting back and hoping the others mess each other up is a valid strategy.

-Steve

Denward

Supporting Actor
It was a great race!!! I was pulling for Ohno, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

In looking at the replays, it looks like the Chinese guy (who was disqualified for his actions) bumped Ohno and then the Korean saw his opportunity and tried to pass on the inside. Then I can't tell if the Canadian bumped the Korean or if the Korean just fell. How did you guys see it??

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Ah yes...the winter games have been so refreshing. None of the insufferable daily updates on the "Thorpedo." :D

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Australia now have more gold medals in these olympic games than Sweden have... :) Sweden is doing pretty terrible so far, maybe the hockey team can get a gold at least.
/Mike

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Heh, I was looking for a video on the net of the race but couldn't find one. I thought this pic is pretty funny though:
1382205.jpg

Steven Bradbury celebrates winning the gold medal after crossing the finish line as Mathieu Turcott lies on the ice after a multi-man crash during Saturday's men's 1000-meter speed-skating final.
Look at that smile!

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
CBC showed the entire race from the Australian broadcast, it was great to watch. WTG OZ!!:emoji_thumbsup:
They also showed the reaction of the Australian press core who is right next door to the CBC press junket. It was priceless.:D

MichaelG

Second Unit
Funny the slowest skater in both the semi's and the finals wins the gold.

This sport is largely about luck, because of that it shouldn't be an Olympic event IMO. Is it fun to watch? Yes. Did I think the finish was great? Yes. Should an Olympic gold medal be given for something like that though? This sport should be marketed like horse racing or dog racing, it seems to be a better gambling sport than legitimate world class Olympic event.

I agree the wipeout is part of the sport, just like 'neck car racing, but they don't get Olympic gold medals for that sport.

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
The best skaters consistently win so I don't think you can say it's largely based on luck. This sort of thing doesn't happen all the time, the favorites usually win. IMHO

Chuck Frady

Second Unit
As they say "That's shorttrack"

Ohno was tackled. No doubt about it. The Korean skater was going down and decided to grab Ohno's leg. Turkott and Ohno should have been Gold and Silver, but what the hell...Thought it was great the way the OZ won it.

Great drama either way you see it. Makes for great entertainment while we all wait for the ladies individual skating program to start.

MichaelG

Second Unit
OK, maybe not largely based on luck. The guy who won stated his strategy was to wait for a crash, and it worked twice.

I say good for him, it was smart in this case, I just don't think that something like this is worthy of an Olympic event that's all. It sure was fun to watch either way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks