What's new

Way too many cables...... Organization? (1 Viewer)

EricDeB

Stunt Coordinator
Hey I just unhooked all of the cables that connect to my receiver. There are just soooo many of them that I always feel like it's a complete mess. I'm one of those perfectionist organization freaks, and I was wondering if any of you guys have a good set up strategy to keep cables organized.

Thanks a ton
Eric

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Ok, here are some suggestions:

RECIEVER ON THE BOTTOM

Putting the reciever on the lowest shelf lets all those speaker wires flow out without obscuring the other wires.

Above the reciever - put box's you dont touch to use like CATV or Sat box.

Put the DVD player, VCR, Game system on the higher shelves so you dont have to stoop to use them.

POWER CORDS

Pick a side and pull all the AC power cords to one side. Use velcro ties to bundle these loose to one side.

INTERCONNECTS

You can create a loose bundle down the middle of the rack, or use wire-loom, or .. just let them flow. You dont want a tight bundle. Some people have done this and had interference problems (I never could understand that).

This equipment layout tends to reduce the cable clutter by grouping wires into 3 separate bundles: AC power wires, Speaker wires (which ARE power wires) and interconnects.

Hope this helps.

PS: There is a version of Murphy's law that applies to cable management:
A week after I bundled all my AC power cords into a wire-loom, my Sat reciever developed issues. At one point the Dish Network tech support person on the phone told me to un-plug the unit for about 20 seconds.

Did you know that the ends of all AC power cords look alike? It took 5 minutes to trace the right power cord.

Good luck.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
That’s why all my plug ends are labeled. All you need is some white electrical tape (Home Depot and Lowes sell it) and an ultra-fine-point Sharpie or other marker. I label all my signal and speaker connections the same way, especially at the receiver end.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

EricDeB

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys. I'm applying these tactics and not rushing the set up like last time. It was a mess!

LewB

Screenwriter

I have one word for you ... Velcro !
I used to use zip ties until I realized that you need to cut the suckers open and replace them any time you make a change to your system. This usually involved using diagonal cutters in close proximity to the wires :eek:
While the velcro is considerably more expensive, it is much more accommodating to change.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks