What's new

Watch Your Rear w/ Ecost.com (1 Viewer)

Jon_Welker

Second Unit
I've been seeing a lot of posts about ecost.com having this refurbished and that refurbished for a helluva deal. Well, let me tell this - be careful with these guys. They had a Pioneer Elite PD-F27 cd changer for $169, factory reconditioned. I though, why not, that's a screamer of a deal! Well, it showed up, but it didn't play right. Kept skipping intermittently. Of course, ecost didn't have any other ones to exchange for me, and they did offer a full refund, but I was out $15 to ship the sucker back to ecost. I'm sure there are plenty of others out there who have had good experiences with ecost and factory refurbished, but just be careful and understand their return/exchange policy. BTW, I called Pioneer about the thing, and told them who I bought it from, and they wanted nothing to do with me. Although it was sealed with Pioneer tape, packaged very well, and full accessories. This whole authorized/not authorized dealer, how do non-authorized retailers get this stuff, mumbo jumbo has me confused as all hell. I'm sure there's some shady operations somewhere. Oh well, just watch your butt.

RobWil

Supporting Actor
I called Denon regarding items sold on ecost.com and they said they give a 90 day warranty. In addition you do have the option of getting an extended warranty through a third party. I agree that you should cover your butt. Ecost makes a point of not indicating what manufacturer warranties apply. It's a good idea to call the manufacturer yourself to verify what, if any, warranty they provide. Also I would recommend at least getting an additional 1 yr warranty which usually only adds 19.95 or so. If anything is going to go wrong it will usually manifest itself within this timeframe.
The reason I tend to recommend places like this is because some people indicate some pretty pathetic budgets and this is a way to get something halfway decent for a pretty paltry sum.

Adil M

Supporting Actor
Long ago I bought a progressive dvd player from Ecost. It came w/ a dent, but worked fine. I called them. The next day I got a new one and they took back the old one. It was unbelievable. That was my only experience.

SeanA

Second Unit
I have purchased electronics from both eCost and Amazon. Amazon is definitely better in terms of service and the ability to get exchanges or refunds. You definitely do have to watch eCost closer and I would recommend you review their return policy closely. They are also a little sneaky. I bought a Sony remote recently that was advertised as FREE SHIPPING, but guess what... NOT free HANDLING. They snuck in a $6 handling charge. I think the fine print was there, but when I saw FREE SHIPPING, I didn't imagine that a handling charge would even be an issue.

As for Denon refurbished product, I was told by customer service at Denon that eCost is NOT an authorized dealer for Denon factory refurbished product. I was looking at a refurbished Denon 1600 DVD player a couple months back at eCost. They offered only a 30 day warranty, but the Denon warranty for refurbished product was suppose to be 90 days.

RobWil

Supporting Actor
Ecost has recently been added as an authorized dealer for Denon refurbs. I called them about 30 days ago and they had just been added. Denon will offer 90 days warranty on refurbs purchased thru ecost.

DanaA

Screenwriter
I bought the Denon 1600 DVD refurb from ECost for $249 and bought the one year extended warranty for $19, just in case. It plays perfectly and the warranty provides some comfort in case something goes wrong. Took the chance and am very happy I did, seeing that the usual online cost for this player is around $450.

Still, sorry about your experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks