What's new

Wasn't there supposed to be an SE of The Sting???? (1 Viewer)

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I could have sworn that Universal said at one point that they were going to be doing a Special Edition of The Sting.

Haven't heard anything about this in ages. Has anyone else heard anything?

I'm still refusing to buy the existing non-OAR DVD.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I'm afraid I can't find any record of the "Special Edition" you are referring to. I don't see any re-release of The Sting beyond the original non-SE release which is full frame.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Neither can I.
This is annoying. I know there was a special edition because I remember thinking, "Finally we'll have 'The Sting' in Widescreen" and then being appalled when it was still P&S.
Maybe they just re-released the old disc in new packaging.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
There is a widescreen edition of this film available in Australia but I've been holding off buying it as I heard rumors of a special edition. Wasn't there a rumor that someone was recording a commentary for this or am I mistaken?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Last January, they DID repromote the existing full-screen disc with some "Oscar Winner" banners, and did the same with many other titles (Deer Hunter and Lost Weekend come to mind). In fact, it says "Full Screen" proud and big as life across the bottom of the front! :frowning: But the rumors of an SE actually came two months after that. But it "started" two months before that, actually.
In this old thread, from Nov. 2001, it was stated that the current MAR version sucks:
Universal
As usual with Universal (who has only showed up for one Studio Day in the past several years despite RSVPing), they were no shows. But with all the industry folks and producers running around Studio Day, we were able to get a few tidbits. Due in 2002 include a newly-completed special edition of the Spielberg classic Duel, with E.T. due in August and Schindler's List as well. A few other new special editions include a reissue of The Andromeda Strain, and a John Hughes collection with just completed supplements, all awaiting street dates...
Nothing in there about The Sting. (And we see what happened with Duel!)
It sure doesn't sound like it's on-the-way, does it?
I admit that I had the same expectation you chaps had, too. I have "Coming Soon: Sting, The - Special Edition" on my list of upcoming DVD's, with the "coming soon" part filling in for an unknown release date. Huh. I shoulda had "Rumored:" in there instead!

Malcolm Cleugh

Second Unit
I have been waiting for this as well.
The existing UK version is at least OAR but is letterboxed not anamorphic and has no extras.

Lone Wolf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Johnny B
There was news maybe a coupla years back through Studio Day reports (?) that DVD Producer Charles Kiselyak had made a new documentary to accompany the imminent release of a Special Edition version. But nothing has ever appeared. However, next year is the 30th anniversary, so you never know.

I think the same thing happened with Cape Fear (1991). The documentary was prepared and filmed long before (like a couple of years again?) that title was ever released. So, unless there's legal clearance issues, timing could be the factor here.

Johnny B.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks