What's new

Washing machine recommendation? (1 Viewer)

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Well, after 15 years, my Kenmore He3 dryer crapped out and the service contract cannot be fulfilled because the part needed is obsolete (circuit board). The washer works but, being just as old, probably living on borrowed time. So it looks like I will be buying the pair. My research so far has shown Electrolux is reviewed quite favorably. I didn't think they were still in business. They make (made?) great vacuums once. Anyway, the research continues, as I look for a front loading washer and dryer. Suggestions are welcome.
The very best are the German made Miele. They are extremely durable and are built to last for at least 20 years. They are the only electronics manufacturer that make all their own components. Steve Jobs used to wax lyrically about how well designed they are. I have only owned Miele washing machines - I purchased my first one in 1995 and replaced it in 2015. A fabulous product and worth every dollar.

https://www.mieleusa.com/domestic/product-selection-of-washing-machines-1565.htm#5

IMG_9116.jpg

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Is your service contract going to help pay for your new dryer?
No. Apparently, only garbage disposal and water heater are covered for replacement. This contract I got from the previous owner and just kept it going. I thought all appliances were covered but apparently not.

So I have to foot the entire bill. I will be buying the pair, at this point.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
The very best are the German made Miele. They are extremely durable and are built to last for at least 20 years. They are the only electronics manufacturer that make all their own components. Steve Jobs used to wax lyrically about how well designed they are. I have only owned Miele washing machines - I purchased my first one in 1995 and replaced it in 2015. A fabulous product and worth every dollar.

I have a Miele vacuum. They are indeed well built. I considered them as well but they are rather pricey. Not out of the running... just have to research a bit more and figure the budget. Thanks for the suggestion.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Wife moved from a early 1990's era Electrolux canister vacuum to a Miele when the electronics finally went after 17-18 years of fairly heavy use.

She hates the disposable culture of most vacuums so ponied up for a Miele and she likes it even more -- I don't think it's quite as powerful as the Electrolux, but it's 1/2 the weight, far more flexible, and quieter. $1000 pretty much like the Electrolux was, but 15-20 year lifespan buys a lot of those 2-3 year vacuums that aren't nearly as good.

She dislikes the Front Loader washers (actually a ton of her friends with them hate them), but I may be able to sell her on the Miele if it comes down to it.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Unless you have to stack them, I'm not sure why people buy washer/dryers in pairs. I bought a pair of Whirlpools back in 1998. The washer failed (transmission, too expensive to replace) in 2008 but the dryer was still in good shape. So I just bought a new Maytag washer.

That dryer is still going strong. A few months back I researched and bought a new rubber drum belt for the time the old one breaks or just slips. I'm glad I didn't buy a new dryer back in 2008 "just because".

Somehow appliances built a good number of years ago may trudge on for a long time. Salesmen keep telling me that I should buy a new dishwasher, but mine still works well (new in 2006). All I hear is that newer dishwashers don't clean the dishes well.

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Our samsung washer is dying. Recurring load unbalance problems. Paid $90 to have a service tech look at it, and it's mfg problem that took 7-1/2 years to manifest. So, we're shopping for a new washing machine. Wife picked a Maytag and ordered it this afternoon.

Lovely haveing a $1000 new appliance purchase during pandemic. :/

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
We're not CR subscribers. So asked friends and colleagues what their experience. And took a look at the wirecutter in case they had something useful to offer.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Note: a subscription to the print CR does NOT get you onto their online version. You have to pay separately, which is a gyp.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks