What's new

Was gifted some new gear; trying to figure out how best to integrate with existing system (1 Viewer)

naimf

Auditioning
Real Name
Naim Falandino
Two or three years back I set up my first home theater system (based on some recommendations from this forum). The basic components are a Yamaha RX-V463 receiver and Yamaha NS-SP7800PN speaker package (a nice little 5.1 setup that I've been generally quite pleased with). Given this, I am still what I would consider a relative beginner. Well, over the past few days I've been given some things from my father-in-law that I'd like to integrate with my existing 5.1 system as best I can, with the intent that I will continue to upgrade later on. Here's what has been added into the mix:
  • Pair of Martin Logan Monolith III, including IIIp passive crossovers
  • Bryston BP25 pre-amp
  • Bryston 4B ST amp (not the SST)
  • A few other odds and ends (reference power filter, a lot of really nice cables, etc.)
Given that the RX-V463 has no line outs for the speaker that aren't amplified I think I'm stuck with getting a new receiver. Is my line of reasoning correct? If so, what would be my best bet for a replacement that's reasonably priced? Or, would it be possible to go from the RX-V463 to the BP25 and then to the 4B ST? Additionally, these new ML speakers are obviously a lot.. more than my existing little Yamaha fronts. What's my best bet as far as getting surround sound working well? I almost certainly won't need the little Yamaha sub anymore either... In general I don't have the best idea of the right way to connect it all together. Eventually I will upgrade the surround sound, but that's not something I can afford to do at the moment. Thanks for any and all suggestions. :)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
This may sound like an odd question, but if I take the time to give suggestions and answers, will you ever return to read them? I ask because 98% of the time when something like this is post #1 from a new member, they never come back, or just keep starting new threads asking the same question.

naimf

Auditioning
Real Name
Naim Falandino
Not odd at all.. As someone who takes time to write out well thought out replies myself I can see where you're coming from. But to answer your question, yes; I'm here and still hoping to get some guidance. And technically I'm not a new member; I just couldn't recover the password of my old account (it's been a while) so I started a new one.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
OK, That's some nice gear. M/L is one of those love/hate type of manufacturers. Their speakers have a distinctive sound with a broad image but lacking the dynamics of most conventional speakers. That comment guarantees a M/L fan coming in, screaming that I am wrong about their dynamics. Anyway... You could set up a really nice 2 channel music system by using what you have and adding a good CD player. You might venture into SACD. Another option is to use what you have for a surround system. In that case, the pre-amp could be sold, then a good way to start would be to get a M/L electrostatic center speaker. They also make conventional speakers, but those would not be a good sonic match. Then you need a surround pre-amp or receiver with pre-outs. Marantz makes some very nice ones. For a budget option you could get a refurb SR5004 for less than $350. I have one of these. That receiver also has a switched A/C outlet, which would come in handy. You don't want to plug the Bryston amp into it, but there are heavy duty power switchers which will sense the output from the switched outlet and switch on its own outlets. You could start with a 3 or 3.1 surround system. The most important thing with those speakers is to give them lots of room to breathe. Ideally they should be 2-3 feet away from the back wall and also with nothing too close to the sides. They radiate sound front and back and need room around them to sound their best.

naimf

Auditioning
Real Name
Naim Falandino
Thanks for the thoughts. I think for now my best bet is to set it up as a standalone stereo for now, until I can get a better receiver and some surrounds that match. When I do get a better receiver, would there be any benefit to keeping the Bryston pre-amp in the mix? Or should it just go receiver -> Bryston amp -> ML? I'm looking forward to building up a nice system over time, but for now it's clear I have a lot to figure out still!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The Bryston pre-amp isn't designed to fit into a surround system. There's just no way to integrate it.

naimf

Auditioning
Real Name
Naim Falandino
Is the pre-amp doing anything other than input switching, such that I'd need to replace it with a pre-amp that is for surround, or does the receiver take care of that entirely? (Very beginner question; sorry...)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
A pre-amp just des input switching and volume control. Receivers also essentially have a pre-amp, so when you go surround with a receiver, you are replacing the pre-amp. In order to use your Bryston amp (which you should) you need a receiver with pre-amp outputs. You can use the Bryston for the L/R speakers and the receiver can power the rest.

naimf

Auditioning
Real Name
Naim Falandino
OK; that's what I thought. A friend tried to convince me that the pre-amp was conditioning the signal properly for a matched amp, which I was pretty sure wasn't the case. Thanks again. I think for the time being I'll set this stuff up as an independent stereo system, and eventually when I have the money upgrade my receiver first and eventually get some matching electrostatic surrounds. Thanks again.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well, there can be a mismatch between pre-amp and power amp, but it's almost unheard of. There can also be a combination of too much or too little gain in the two units, which can be annoying, but that's all. For instance, if the pre and amp both have relatively high gain and you have high sensitivity speakers, then the system gets loud when you turn up the volume just a little. There are all sorts of little things when going with separates.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks