What's new

WARNING - US Gov. to destroy your PC to stop illegal downloads (1 Viewer)

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I won't go off into my fair-use tangent on this....
People that don't really understand computers should not be trying to pass laws on them.

How about a crackdown on people selling bootlegs on the internet instead? I have to weed through 5 pages of bootlegs on Ebay whenever I am hunting for used anime. How about going after the people selling and making a profit off this stuff!!? They are the real criminals.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
It's so nice to see senators stand up for their constituents. The RIAA and the MPAA did vote for him, didn't they?

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Can you imagine the lawsuits and death threats against this man if he were to start destroying systems?? :eek:

This man will destroy himself if he destroys other peoples computers.

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
Are we back to reserecting the V-chip? Seems like the government would have to require new computers to have a piece of hardware that could be activated by an illegal download.

I think both of these efforts are just politics. The Hatch constituency is his home state voters. He doesn't care about the music industry. If anything, knowing his politics, he would be more than grateful if there were much less popular music sales.

The real issue here is the music industry crying "wolf." They blame the downloads for reducing sales when the real cause is a reduction of new releases.

Tommy Ceez

Second Unit
BTW. Representative Bono (Sonnys Wife) is slated to be the next head of the RIAA. Expect more crap like this to be mentioned in the future. I wouldnt sweat it. As long as we dont appoint Ja Rule to the supreme court these laws would never pass.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Ashley, that's what DRM is all about. Some people would like to pass a law that says all computers and other devices capable of recording anything be equipped with DRM technology so you couldn't copy anything that was protected, regardless of your rights or ownerships of the material. This would also be the end of linux because the OS would have to work with it, and the code and keys couldn't be allowed in open source projects because then it could easily be hacked. Scary stuff. Congress keeps selling more and more of our rights to Hollywood.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
BTW. Representative Bono (Sonnys Wife) is slated to be the next head of the RIAA.
Oh good lord.

I can't believe some senator thinks he/she can inflict damage on a piece of my private property! I mean, what if I were to call them a bunch of dumb assed, greedy, clueless... >BIZZZORCH!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks