WARNING - US Gov. to destroy your PC to stop illegal downloads

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jeff Savage, Jun 18, 2003.

1. Jeff Savage

Jeff Savage Second Unit

Ok ok that is a little bit over the top but take a look at this article from The Washington Post

Here is a brief summary:

By TED BRIDIS
    The Associated Press
    Tuesday, June 17, 2003; 5:22 PM

WASHINGTON - The chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee said Tuesday he favors developing new technology to remotely destroy the computers of people who illegally download music from the Internet.

The surprise remarks by Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah,.....

I see so many issues with this it is not even funny. I mean what about due process, search warrents, trial by peers etc..

Laters,
    Jeff

2. Tommy Ceez

Tommy Ceez Second Unit

Hatch is talkin out of his ass...luckily this proposal would never pass constitutional muster.

3. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    There must be something in the air around here, Jeff, because I just about went ballistic when I heard this nonsense. After spending countless hours transcribing my personally purchased CD collection to MP3 format, I want to know how exactly the RIAA (or whomever) plans to distinguish between legal--fair use--transcriptions versus illegal downloads.

I'd rather see this handled at the firewall-level instead of putting our computers up to a firing squad. Let schools and corporations filter downloads--many already do--and manage it that way. Let's not have any of this Big Brother stupidity.

Grrr....

- Steve

4. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Senators are retarded.

5. Lee L

Lee L Supporting Actor

The thing is, I don't think Hatch even wants the gov or local law enforcement involved. He wants to give IP holders the right to extract vigilante justice in defence of their copyrights.

What insanity.

6. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

It will not happen unless the constitution is changed from its current format.

KyleS

7. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    So, if some dude is at a party at my house and decides to download a song on my computer, MY computer gets fried??? [​IMG]
    Thankfully most of the politicians around here aren't quite so obtuse.

8. Mark Barnhill

Mark Barnhill Stunt Coordinator

I myself am in favor of developing new technology to remotely destroy idiot senators. [​IMG]

9. James E

James E Stunt Coordinator

sorry as this is off topic but i thank it would be funny [​IMG]
    [rant]i would like to see all politicians wired up so every time they lie they are shocked[/rant][​IMG]

10. andrew markworthy

Further proof that politicians are out of touch.

At the risk of getting too political, my solution to a lot of the world's problems is that all elected politicians would by law only be entitled to the average income of the country they live in - the same goes for their partner (of course, they're all in politics to serve their country, so this shouldn't be a problem [​IMG] ). Then let's see how often they propose legislation that favours big corporations and screws the average person when they don't have the salary or perks that normally cushion them from the effects of these half-assed schemes.

11. Jay Taylor

Jay Taylor Supporting Actor

Ignoring the legal aspects that would make this plan impossible it is unlikely that they will be able to develop a method of destroying computers. If a method existed thousands of hackers would already be using it.

Even if a method of destroying computers were devised it would be made impotent in the next anti-virus or operating system update.

Jay Taylor

12. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

They have nothing better to concentrate on? Uh, how about . . . TERRORISM?!!!!

13. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

Just imagine the kickback$ from the computer industry. Hundreds of thousands of Kazaa/Gnutella users having to run to Best Buy or CompUSA for a new PC. Sure, it's all about copyright. No, it couldn't possibly be about money with a Senator involved. [​IMG]

14. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    As a songwriter himself, I'd think Hatch would recuse himself from this issue. He's obviously a little too close to the issue to be objective.

15. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Jordan, I'm sure the RIAA and MPAA are hard at work paying Congress to pass a bill labeling file traders as terrorists. Once that happens their rights will disappear thanks to the Patriot Act and they'll be locked up without a trial or anything.

Sometimes our politicians are pretty stupid. Fortunately if this were to pass the EFF and ACLU would file an injuction and get it thrown out by the courts before it could ever be enacted.

16. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

This is pretty dumb but we all know it, they know it, everyone knows it. Its a stupid knee jerk reaction by some stupid old man who really doesn't have a clue what he's talking about but probably needs some PR so he opens his mouth and quickly has to stuff his foot in it. Punish breaking a law by breaking another law? So lets project this into other areas, how about everytime someone drives over the speed limit or runs a red light their car instantly explodes when they get out of it.

17. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Well I just saw this at Fark. Apparently Hatch is using unlicensed code on his website, so he may have to blow up his own server. Shame on him.

18. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

19. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

Senator Hatch's new quote, from the
    Senate press release
    :

20. Jay Heyl

Jay Heyl Stunt Coordinator

The really odd thing is that Hatch's opening statement clearly indicated he was concerned about the users of p2p networks having their privacy invaded by spyware, adware, and the inadvertent sharing of tax returns, bank account data, etc. The whole statement is biased in favor of the users. How he got from there to wanting to blow up the computers of copyright violators must have been quite a trip.