What's new

Warner DVD Decision 2004 - Voting Results are in! (1 Viewer)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Of course, she already is on dvd in Take Me Out to the Ball Game (a much better film than Bathing Beauty IMO).

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I voted for

Greed (how can you NOT vote for such a great film?)
Lust For Life (the same)
Ivanhoe (looks interesting)
Operation Crossbow (same)
I Am a Fugitive From a Chain Gang (same)

I wonder how Warner will do Greed... the extended version is 245 min. long and the theatrical version is 140 min.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Here's the complete list of candidates:

All Fall Down (1962)
Bathing Beauty (1944)
Captains Of The Clouds (1942)
Dive Bomber (1941)
Edge Of The City (1957)
Greed (1924)
I Am A Fugitive From A Chain Gang (1932)
Ice Station Zebra (1968)
International Velvet (1978)
Ivanhoe (1952)
Kansas City Bomber (1972)
King Solomon's Mines (1950)
The Letter (1940)
Lust For Life (1956)
Operation Crossbow (1965)
Party Girl (1958)
Random Harvest (1942)
The Search (1948)
The Shoes Of The Fisherman (1968)
Test Pilot (1938)

Some good (and long-awaited) titles. Everybody vote!!

FrankXS

Second Unit
Seeing that Warner Bros said they would announce the 5 winners in August, we have anywhere from 1 day to 22 days to wait.
We were supposed to see the rest of the nominated films from last year, but only a few have come out beyond the 2003 winners.
WARNER BROS TAKE AWAY THE SUSPENSE !

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
There was a couple films on that list from last year I would kill to have -
Finians Rainbow
I'll Cry Tomorrow

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Still waiting for the 2 "Thin Man" series movies from last year's list also.

Of course, if Warners releases all 6 in a nice set I'll be happy even though it means double dipping on the first snapper infested release. :)

Steve

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
And the results are in from davisdvd.com:

The results are in and we can now officially announce the winners in one of the year's most heated contests. No, not Kerry vs. Bush... we're talking "DVD Decision 2004." For the second year in a row Warner Home Video and Turner Classic Movies gave fans the chance to vote on a new crop of twenty classic films to be released onto the DVD format. After tallying 140,000 votes, the five films chosen include The Letter, King Solomon's Mines, Ice Station Zebra, Ivanhoe and Random Harvest. Each film is set to debut on DVD in January 2005 with newly remastered transfers and extensive bonus features.

Not what I would've predicted - I demand a recount! ;)

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
No GREED? I am sooo bummed!!!!!!!!! I really had my hopes up for that one.
Sad about no "Shoes of the Fisherman" as well.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

none of those films really get me going, so it looks like my wallet may be getting a break that week.
so theres always a bright side if you look for it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Have you seen all five films in their entirety? I'm not a real big fan of Ice Station Zebra, however, the other four films will be in my dvd collection.

Crawdaddy

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Although I still demand a recount, I'll be getting all five.

What worries me slightly is that last year Warners promised all the titles would be released during 2004 (presumably the same applies with these). But where is Bad Day at Black Rock.

BTW no Dive Bomber means we still might get that Errol Flynn box set soon...

Derek_McL

Second Unit
A rather flawed poll this : I mean three films are getting released from the Literary Classics category which suggests a straight measure of popularity across all 20. I voted for my five favourites didn't matter where they appeared in the list but I'm sure many might have voted believing you could only choose one from each category. A few posts here suggest that. Also Ice Station Zebra only had two opponents in its category meaning it was almost a certainty (if the idea of voting just for one out of each category was widely believed) putting aside the merits of the film. I'm hoping the other films will see release as John says : Greed should be a certainty for the 2005 TCM Silent release, let's hope so.

Warner are generally great at releasing classics on DVD but this poll is a bit of a mess to be honest: the result might have been the same whatever but I feel the categories just confused people and the result with three from one group getting released might confuse them even more.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I wish I could pick LOTTO numbers as well as I picked these titles! All my picks came thru. I would have thought that "The Letter" would have been part of a Bette Box Set. I'm hoping that "The Shoes Of The Fisherman" will get a release in the future.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Well, damn.

I was sure Greed would get the vote... although, I can't really feel surprised since most people don't really like silent films that much :frowning:

[deleted].

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks