What's new

Warner Bros. Crawford and Davis Sets / No distinction (1 Viewer)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Though I dislike the digipak packaging intensely, what I dislike is Warners no longer making the individuals titles available. Thus, if you want 2 or 3 of the films but not the others, then you have to buy all of them and are unable to sell off or trade the other titles any longer. In their upcoming gangsters v.3 box set the ONLY title I want is Brother Orchid which, fortunately at least for now, still going to be released individually.

I had to purchase the whole damn Frankenheimer collection (yes, I know it wasn't Warners) just for The Young Savages when I already had two of the titles and had zero interest in Ronin!

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I'm just wondering if it really is a cost issue and if anybody knows whether or not Warner Bros. have been successful with their classic film releases in the past year, to the point of reaching reasonable profit expectations?

I can't understand them having trouble on that front, but I'd be sorry to hear if that is the case. Personally, I think the studio just wants to keep things "fresh" and find newer ways of promoting their releases. Well if that's the case, the feedback from fans/supporters/consumers in this thread expresses how we feel. I myself do not like it and hope WHV can continue as has been with their great DVD releases and tried and true presentation and packaging. Keep cases and original artwork are always the number one choice.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
STEVEO Posted

Agreed. If the new packaging styles keep the MSRP of these sets down I'm all for it. With the Amercian economy struggling and gas prices rising consumers are going to have less discretionary income and so it will be up to sellers to find ways to stay competitive.

My answer to that is well if it is money saving it didn't save me any money. The retail price is $49.99. No savings there.

I bought the set today scared to death to open it cause you know why the damn plastic slipcover case is gonna bow outward big time. Joan Crawford would never have approved of the packaging! lol

I still think they should stick to the keep case way and NOT those tacky slimline cases. That is half way doing it wrong.

I love WB and their releases and because I care so much it is box set releases like these that make me angry. but I still will buy them I just don't care to show them off to others.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member

This is when learning to make your own Cover Art is VERY handy & nice. When I had a great deal of free time a few years ago I convert a whole bunch of snappers to keepcase art & other art I didn't like was changed. There is another Forum that has a dedicated section for this subject.

I can't wait to get the latest Davis set. And I WANT MORE!!! :laugh:

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
For titles available separately (Gangster V3) I hope they stick to regular keepcases in a slipcover. That is the format I still prefer (even though it takes up much more space). For titles not available separately I guess they found that digipacks offer even more space savings compared to slimlines. I don't care either way as long as they put each movie on a separate disc (which Warner has thankfully been doing with the exception of the Forbidden Hollywood set and the last Film Noir set).

Has anyone also noticed some changes lately in the WB DVD art department ? They have been going for more contemporary-looking designs - as in the new Gangster box covers (including V1 and V2) as well as Bonnie and Clyde. I personally find these covers tacky compared to the covers they used to do before. In this regard I think Fox is still doing a terrific job with their covers for classic releases.

-D

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Same here Deepak,

That's why I said Warners are probably going for a "fresh" promotion for their classic titles. It's too bad because their earlier designs were some of the best around and lately they've been slipping in the art department I find. I'm not thrilled about the lack of consistency with the Noir and Gangster sets and I think the news artwork is far inferior to what was already perfected in previous waves. I'm not quite sure why they're bothering to go back and reissue these with new "updated" artwork. Fox on the other hand, has been turning out some of the nicest and classiest packages as of late and the irony is that they took their cue from the success of WHV.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
They need to stick to the old designs they have been using before they end up making their cover art look like Columbia Pictures releases for Seems Like Old Times! Companies love to photoshop the actors as big as they can get them. In the end they are trying to sell to those who don't have the brains to appreciate a good product unless it looks new and hip.

I have decided to return the Joan Crawford set. I have stared at it all day and I can't bring myself to open it. I know it will just look horrible. I'd rather be without than knowing this horrid case is on my shelf.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I will never understand this line of thinking. I guess the films themselves aren't the important thing with some people.

Crawdaddy

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
the point is that the films are important. I just think Warner bros is doing a disservice to collector's by offering the set up in mediocre packaging.

The films I'm sure are good and I've been waiting years to see Flamingo Road even passing it up on TCM just waiting for the DVD release.

If the DVDs were placed in plastic ziplock most would be happy however I really hate the packaging I just don't want to spend 50.00 plus on a set that once I open it the outer sleeve will bow outward and just look obtrusive.

Warner Bros is the best studio by far for classic catalog titles and I love hearing what they are releasing next but all I wanted was individual keep cases for each film. I don't mind it some are doubled up i.e. The Stanwyck set tha features To Please a Lady/ Jeopardy.

I just wish WB would listen to the ones who buy the DVDs and not those in an art dept. who just thinks something would be cool in this packaging but would probably never buy the set. I just don't think much thought went into it.

For this reason I won't be buying the next Bette Davis set. I just don't think keep cases are too much to ask for in a box set.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I am a collector with over 4000 dvds in my collection, but I don't feel Warner is doing a disservice to me. Granted, a segment of collectors that are into artwork and packaging might feel the way you described, but Warner services the general public not just a small group of consumers.

Crawdaddy

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor

I have to agree with this sentiment. While I may complain about the packaging, it would never keep me from buying movies I really want on DVD (as long as the quality of the presentation is not compromised). That is why I've had to hold my nose and buy a number of these digipack monstrosities, releases in slimlines, etc even though my preference clearly is regular keepcases (more for consistency in my collection).

I didn't notice until I read this thread that WB was also rereleasing the first 2 Bette Davis boxes with new covers. Yikes ! These (and Joan Crawford Vol. 1) boxes are ones that I never got around to picking up and it looks like I might have to do that in a hurry (I have no idea if the new releases will use keepcases or not and I prefer the older slipcovers anyway).

-D

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
No more so than refusing to purchase movies because they're bare bones releases.

We are all entitled to express our preferences in our own way, and if that means not purchasing because of dissatisfaction with some aspect of the product, then so be it.

I, too, hate the fold out digipaks, and have skipped several sets that I might have purchased had the movies been in individual cases. I do not like not being able to place my movies on my shelves in alphabetical order.

---------------

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Not every release is going to make the retail shelves just too many dvds released for that to happened especially boxsets that take up a lot of valuable room for the retailers which is part of the reason why studios are changing their packaging. However, over the last couple of years, the general public has been more astute to use the internet more and more for their purchases which means this release is available for purchase. Also, that it's available from beyond just the usual suspects like Amazon.

Overall, this is a nice place, but just like anywhere else some people have difficulty in expressing their disagreement in opinions with less cutting words.

Crawdaddy

Rod J

Premium
Real Name
Rodney Jewett

Yes, unfortunately the major retailers are the Studios' customers and not the ultimate retail purchaser. It amazes me (not really) that a BestBuy has room for over 6 dozen copies of blu-ray Superbad on the shelf week after week (who knows how many are in the back room), but can't be bothered to stock a copy or two of That's Entertainment.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
The packaging really doesnt matter or does it, granted i love the original art work as opposed to the photoshoped head floating in are , the the thing the concerns me the most is the presentation of the film its self then the extra features, but the film comes first. why else are you buying it!

as for changing the packaging , well with the ever growing collection and space at the house as well as the store shelves at a premium i welcome smaller packaging.as long as the dics are supported by something that doesnt fall apart easily.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Next to my DVD and VHS library, I also have a reasonably large book library.
And you know what? Almost no two books are the same size. Only particular sets or some specific "brands".

And they're even made of paper (exposed artwork) and cardboard: and most of 'em in excellent condition.

I never understood why all DVDs *must* be equal. I liked the snappers very much (for various reasons) and thanks to the bitching on the 'net Warner dropped those fine cases.

I must say, those actor set (the ones with a big photograph) are very interesting, and the way I decide to buy a specific one or not is like this: which of the movies in the set that I don't own already (or a poorer version) do I want. If there are enough of those (or perhaps only one I have been looking forward to) especially: it's a buy.

The casing plays no part in this. Even the 'Ford at Fox' case (huge, heavy), which I cannot even store in a normal way in my new HT ( :) ), was a no-brainer.
Those Warner actor-sets get a nice place on one of the special shelves (also sized to accommodate the Disney tins) in my DVD cabinets.

So, although I hear those people who want to build their DVD storage differently: I cannot agree with them personally. And I don't think studios should listen to those alone!
If cutting a few corners package-wise can make the sets more profitable to the studios - and thus increase the chance of us getting more of those sets - I'm all for it.

Cees

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam

Why not just make your own artwork and package them in regular DVD cases? That way you get to keep the films you want and you can get the exact packaging you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks