wanted: HDTV receiver for analog signals

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lucas Dang, Feb 1, 2002.

1. Lucas Dang

Lucas Dang Stunt Coordinator

Anyone want to upgrade their Hdtv receiver, I just need one that can send the antenna signals from the air to my Mits 65807 ws set. Anyone have a recommendation, no direct tv, digital or dish service, Im just gonna get local stuff.

2. Jeff Whitford

Jeff Whitford Screenwriter

Lucas the cheapest way for you to get local HD programing would be to pickup a new or used DSS HD reciever and use that to pick up your locals. You dont even have to use it as a satelite reciever or sign up for any service. When the stations in Chicago started broadcasting we had several people come in and buy the recievers to pickup the locals and never signed up for sat service. In fact if you can find one used you dont even need the access card to recieve the locals. To the best of my knowledge manufactors local only tuners are ALOT more expensive the a DSS HD reciever. At least all the ones from manufactors we carry.Hope that helps.

3. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

the only "OTA only" STB i know of is the SIRT150 by samsung, it can be found for about $500 on the net. unfortunately, you missed the $100 mfr rebate by a couple of days.

or, as Jeff said, you can use any of the DirecTV HD sat boxes for OTA without a dish or subscription. the Dish Network 6000 rcvr will do OTA with the 8VSB plug in module, but you need to have a dish pointed at one of their sat's to make it rcv OTA! no subscription, tho. there is supposed to be a firmware update to make it OTA capable w/o the dish, but i don't know when or if it will happen, or even if it already has.

4. Lucas Dang

Lucas Dang Stunt Coordinator

Thanks guys.

Anyone else have some info, experience, or advise on this?