What's new

WANTED: Films that make you think recommendations (1 Viewer)

Damien Montanile

Stunt Coordinator
Over the last few years I have become a huge fan of films that make you think or films that are just really strange and obscure in nature (very imaginative) (ala Terry Gilliams films).

To give you an Idea of what Im refering to below is a list (off the top of my head) of movies along the lines of what I have in mind.

Brazil

12 Monkeys

Lost City of Children

Memento

PI

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

the Adventures of Baron Munchausen

Dark City

Clockwork Orange

Anyone care to make other suggestions as to movies that fall into the obscure catagory?

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
I am surprised that Time Bandit is not on your list. You will most likely enjoy some of the animi stuff, such as Cowboy Bebop.

Doug Pyle

Second Unit
Real Name
Doug
Here's an obscure/low budget one on DVD: The Lathe of Heaven (based on the Ursula LeGuin sci-fi story). In case you haven't thought enough when done, it includes a Bill Moyer interview with the author as a special feature. (Image quality suffers some, though, as it was a made-for-PBS TV production - on videotape I believe - that has not been stored well.)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Here's a few of my favorites:
Santa Sangre
The Reflecting Skin
The Ninth Configuration

Alas, they have yet to be released on dvd... :frowning:

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
MULHOLLAND DRIVE! It is the best film of 2001, and it really makes you think as well.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
The film that has left me thinking every day since seeing it this year would be Waking Life.
Muholland Drive made me think, but mostly just about what the hell was going on in the film itself, rather than about life away from the film.
However, it appears that both WL and MD have a key point central to the narrative in common. I can't say without spoiling.
They are both films apparently contained entirely within someone's "death dream", their dream stream-of-consciousness thoughts just before they die.
In that way, then, they both really do make me think about life.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Also,

Wings of Desire, definately. Not the City of Angels crap.

and

Zentropa

Both are VHS only at this point, but well worth it.

Jon_W

Stunt Coordinator
Apocalypse Now/Redux

The Thin Red Line

Dr. Stranglove or How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb

Bent

Just saw Wonder Boys the other night. A very "thoughtful" film.
My pick would have to be The Elephant Man. That film always sticks with me for days after I see it.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I just remember watching The Keep when my parents first got cable. I thought that was pretty wierd... of course, it may have been my drug research at the time. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks