What's new

Want to buy a Denon 1910 but should I get a Samsung DVD-HD941 to avoid microblocking? (1 Viewer)

AndrewVital

Agent
Hi,
I'm finally ready to buy a new DVD player after much research and posts on forms here. I'm set on buying the Denon 1910, but Im afraid of the microblocking. Has this problem been fixed or should I just stay away from it?

If i'm not going Denon then the next best player I've found is the Samsung DVD-HD941.

Keep in mind I want a player that will output via DVI as well as play DVD-A and SACD.

Thanks for your responses in advance.
- Andrew

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
The 1910 doesn't do DVD-A or SACD. Macroblocking is very dependant on your display and for most it's either a non-issue or can be minimized to a non-issue w/ proper calibration and some tweeking. There's not alot of review info out there on the 941. Since it's using a Faroudja deinterlacing and scaling chip it may have the Macroblocking too, but no-one knows to what degree. Another player to consider is the Sony NS975V. It doesn't do DVD-A but does do SACD. Since it uses Sony Pure Progressive deinterlacing and scaling chipset it doesn't suffer from macroblocking. A recent comparisson over at AVS picked it over the Panasonic S97 which is a Faroudja based player w/ some Macroblocking. Panasonic is supposedly working on a firmware update to reduce or remove macroblocking on that unit, but there's no timetable. The S97 does DVD-A and SACD.

AndrewVital

Agent
Thanks for the reply
I just ordered the Sony DVP-NS975V, and a HDMI to DVI converter for under 300 bucks. I've got a sony DVD player now, it was my first DVD player...and it still works just not high quality enough. So this player should get me through till HD-DVD or Blue-Ray comes downt he pike

THanks!

- Andrew

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
They both suffer from macroblocking because they both use the same Faroudja chip. If you really can't stand MB, avoid a Faroudja based product. The Panny s97 also has MB issues, again, thanks to the same Faroudja chip.

I'd recommend a Denon 2900 for universal. Or if you want just good DVD/CD, a Cambridge 540d. Neither of these has DVI or HDMI, but the pro scan is good good, your TV likely has great upscaling circuitry and such - it will have a field day with whatever picture you throw at it.

Beyond that, you're going to be hitting near a grand on a Pioneer 59 avi, depending on where you shop. It's probably the best player under a grand, all told. No Faroudja either. If you shop around, I've heard of people getting it for as low as $850. That's insane. HDMI.

Honestly, I recommend to people: If you're upgrading for something nice, past the $200 and so club, you may as well steer clear of Faroudja, as it simply has some key flaws that no one has been able to fully correct yet. And probably won't. Some people have better results than others. The more high end, sophisticated, and sensitive your display is (and eyes), the less likely it is you will be pleased with any Faroudja based product.

Combined with all this, Samsung's track record in this DVD player marketplace isn't the kind of odds I'd bet on in Vegas, although some people get lucky. ;)

I wouldn't recommend either the 941 or the Denon 1910 at all. I wouldn't recommend ANY Samsung DVD player with a clear conscience quite honestly.

I know that the Denon 2910 and especially the 3910 have superior engineering and tricks in them vs. the 1910 where you may very well get away without any MB issues at all. Something to consider...

AndrewVital

Agent
If i could afford the Higher End models that's what I'd go with. Originally that what I wanted (it's my brother, my sister and I chipping in and buying it for my Dad for his home theater).

Hes got a NEC HT1000 projector which I dont' believe does any upscalling on its own.

I ended up buying a Sony DVP-NS975V cuz I know he wants a DVD player that utilizes his DVI cable that he paid almost 300 bucks for (had to buy a 50 foot DVI cable before he put the ceiling up to run it to the projector).

The way I look at it, hes running on a 8 year old sony DVD player now, so anythign else has got to be an improvement!

Thanks for all of your responses.

- Andrew

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
I'm sure this question has been answered already in the "upscaling players" thread, but I don't have the time to read all of those pages of posts. I am considering picking up the Sony 975S and would like to know if it has built-in bass management for SACD. Any takers?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks