What's new

Want a "different" racing game, recommendations, anyone? (1 Viewer)

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
When it comes to the more serious GT3, I was stuck on GT mode with only the first three tracks done from the day I got it until last night, when I finally tried buying the engine upgrade, rather than all the other nonsense. D'oh! Why doesn't the manual give you even a little bit of handholding about how to upgrade the cars sensibly? I'd been throwing all my winnings at getting weight down instead!!!

Anyway, now I've calmed down a bit, get Burnout (preferably 2, but 1 will do). Its great - all the fun of traffic dodging, none of the boring car tuning that I'm annoyed with GT3 for.

JamesH

Supporting Actor
Why doesn't the manual give you even a little bit of handholding about how to upgrade the cars sensibly? I'd been throwing all my winnings at getting weight down instead!!!
Sorry, but this just makes me chuckle a bit.

ps. I'd definately forgoe the turbo kit and buy a shiny new racing suspension instead.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I'm a huge fan of Project Gotham and could spend several posts expounding on its virtues, but it doesn't seem like something the OP would be interested in.
I'm a huge huge fan of MSR & PGR (I'm damn pleased with my signed PGR :) ), but I agree, I don't think it's what Chris is looking for. I'd go with the likes of Splashdown, Rush2049, Quantum Redshift instead.

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
Thanks for all the suggestions.
I have PGR, and I love it. I also own Splashdown and I have owned Rush 2049.

It looks like I'm gonna go out and get Quantum Redshift, Rumble Racers, and maybe re-buy SSX tricky.

Oh, and I'll have my eyes peeled for the next FZero.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Hehe, or Rayman Arena? ;)

I'm shocked you sold SSX Tricky Chris, but to each his own I suppose. I wish they'd make a new one myself, but I'll play Tricky to death anyway...

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Laugh away JamesH, but I don't know the first thing about car engineering, I just want to race. GT2 came with stacks and stacks of info about the best way to take a corner that is not only repeated in the license tests but pretty much what everyone has done in every racing game ever, but could GT3 take five minutes out to explain what to do when buying upgrades? No. Not that I ever had to in GT2, since with a decent car selection available if I wanted to go faster I just bought a faster car, and there were plenty of races for me to win even with the basic ones.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
You mentioned that you play multiplayer. . .I highly recommend Smuggler's Run. The missions where you're battling each other and a bunch of CPU-controlled cars to capture magically appearing contraband is a total blast!

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Speaking of Tricky... I just pick up a copy for myself last night. It's a GH now so it's only $20. Awesome game... I got hooked on it when I played it at my brothers place and have just been waiting for it to come down in price.

MarkBurton

Second Unit
I would recommend Road Rash. What a great racing game. However, still waiting on a Next Gen version. One was announced for PS2 back in the day, but it seems to have gone the way of the dodo.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks