What's new

Wanna Send a message to Bluckbuster about OAR? (1 Viewer)

David Proud

Stunt Coordinator
Do not rent anymore from rental stores that carry any pan and scam discs and that covers about all of them.

Buy all your movies you would like to watch and get the widescreen version and refuse to buy the pan and scam version. Use the internet as tool to sale or trade them if you do not like them or would like new ones. I encourage you to use price search engines such as dvdpricesearch.com to locate and find the best prices, this will help with competion.

AGAIN Refuse to buy anything that is not OAR and stop renting from evil companies who are trying to destroy our beloved format.

Hurt them where it hurts, send your petitions to blockbuster, hollywood video, any rental places that stocks Pan and scan dvds tell them why you will not rent anymore..

Thanks,

David

Oswald Pascual

Second Unit
Real Name
No Name
Totally agree with you, but unfortunately we are in the minority in this battle.

P.S. Your link did not work.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Uh... I don't think these companies are "evil", and I will continue renting widescreen discs. I think that sends a better message than for us OAR-proponents to not rent anything at all (which means that all that WILL be rented is the P&S copies).

/Mike

David Proud

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think they are evil as well. I just said evil in the sense of humor (you know like blustbuster is a huge evil empire), etc...

I guess if you want to rent movies from them then keep on buying widescreen releases.

I myself think that if movie studios sold more dvds outside of rental stores they would be more likely to give the consumer what they want and I am sure we (OAR proponents) buy more dvds than joe six pack who only rents them.

Create revenue for the big movie companies buy buying your DVDs in widescreen format so the big movie companies don't depend on rental chains for 90% of there revenue. $$$ speaks.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
We would all be better off if Blockbuster went out of business.

I don't pretend to know the ins and outs of the video rental industry, but it seems that if DVD finally overtakes VHS (ultimately making VHS a practically obsolete technology for the vast majority of potential renters) and (and this is very important), no rental window is imposed (something that Blockbuster has been crying for louder than anyone), then I think they will be destroyed as a viable business entity.

Netflix has its problems, but they don't represent the same danger that Blockbuster does (perhaps only because they lack the clout). But, for now, I agree that none of us should ever rent anything from Blockbuster if only to ensure that their calls for rental window pricing continue to go unheeded by the studios. So long as DVD sales are seen as more profitable avenue than rental window pricing, I think the studios may stay the course.

So, deny rental profits to those that would impose a rental window! Boycott Blockbuster and any other rental company that follows suit. The idea is to make their business model obsolete and to drive them into bankruptcy. Otherwise, you may find yourself paying $100/disc for a pan&scan travesty on the streetdate.

MatS

Screenwriter
why the preaching to the converted??!! Has this topic not been addressed in numerous pre-existing threads??!!

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
As long as the majority of movie viewers remain ignorant about widescreen vs. pan and scan, we are fighting an uphill battle and the national rental chains will continue to offer the butchered versions. Chain stores like Hollywood and Blockbuster cater to the majority since they only care about profit margins and who can blame them for that? Making money is the name of the game.

The best way to win this battle is for the stuidos to continue to release either widescreen-only DVDs or DVDs with the choice of pan and scan and widescreen.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
We would all be better off if Blockbuster went out of business
Uhhh, yeah Give me the good ol' days of multiple memberships at many little shops, which had one copy of any given movie. And then, when I visited family, I'd have to borrow their membership card for their local store. Then the store has to call my parents to verify that I've got permission to rent on their card.
Now, I've got to suffer the convenience of well-stocked rental chains, where I can rent home or away. This sucks. I so preferred the annoyances of days gone by... :rolleyes:
I'm all in favor pushing the big stores to carry WS. I only rent WS now. But the incessant BB bashing is somewhat baffling. BB was a good thing, to me, when they came out. It made renting movies easier and more convenient.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Realistically, boycotting all B&M rental stores does not send out the "I like widescreen" message. It sends out the "I don't like renting from stores" message, which is OK if that is your intent. Refusing to rent pan & scan titles at these places is the logical approach for a widescreen advocate, which I bet most of us are already following.

Regards,

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Dave, have you never heard of NETFLIX?
And, pan&scan aside, are you even aware of Blockbuster's constant lobbying for DVD rental window pricing? Isn't this an even worse danger for us? I don't pretend to know a great deal about the rental biz, but it seems that Blockbuster is always promoting something entirely inimical to my interests. So why should I support them in anyway when there are other, easily available options?
Now, I've got to suffer the convenience of well-stocked rental chains, where I can rent home or away.... :rolleyes
A gazillion copies of the latest mainstream schlock in pan&scan format certainly doesn't meet my definition of "well-stocked"! :)
(At home or at grandma's house!)

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Okay, here's a fun way to send a message to Blockbuster: when you pay for your next rental, use one dollar bills with the ends cut off. When they look at you funny, calmly and politely tell them that you'll pay with OAR money when they promise to carry only OAR discs.

Yes, I'm kidding. But I've gotta admit, I'm tempted to do it....

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
Okay, here's a fun way to send a message to Blockbuster: when you pay for your next rental, use one dollar bills with the ends cut off. When they look at you funny, calmly and politely tell them that you'll pay with OAR money when they promise to carry only OAR discs.
:laugh: :laugh:
What a great idea! Like, "Why should I pay 100% of the price when I'm only getting 70% of the picture?". :laugh:

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks