What's new

Walt Disney Legacy Collection (project brainstorming) (1 Viewer)

buckmichaels

Agent
Real Name
Mike
With Disney refusing to release any of their "Walt Era" movies in the 4K format, and with Disney + showing alot of their library, I am doubtful of them releasing your collection on blu-ray or 4K. I would personally love to see Sleeping Beauty on physical 4K disc. I'm sure the high resolution Technirama format would shine in 4K! I guess you could start a signature campaign? I'm sure alot of people from this forum would be happy to participate!

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Hi Waltwiz , I'm another holder of all 30 Treasures sets. Weren't there some further sets which included the nature series . They weren't tins , but rather plastic cases about the same size as the Treasure releases .
Everything you propose sounds great to me, but you have to wonder if the people who run Disney would consider them . Other than that , I wouldn't change very much of what you propose .
Meanwhile, I'm still hoping that we'll get the remainder of the "Walt -Era " feature films on BD somehow - either as Disney Movie Club Exclusives ( best shot ) , or as general release ( not likely ). I'm talking about things like Darby O Gill, Shaggy Dog Great Locomotive Chase, That Darn Cat , many others which I'd like to get Blu-ray releases, Then, there are also lots of TV episodes from the Anthology Series like Andy Burnette, Kilroy Was Here Daniel Boone etc. I'd love to see those as well, even if it's on DVD.
If the sets you propose ever happen I'll be one of the first to pre-order. but things at Disney , look hazy .

Yes there were 4 of them and I happy to have them also. The were called True Life Adventures. There were a couple of aspect ratio problems that Disney never addressed. These were released at the end of the tin collections.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Disney just re-released Sleeping Beauty to standard Blu-ray this past September 2019 to promote the theatrical release of their Maleficent sequel. It was the same transfer as has previously been released twice before. If they were interested in putting it out on 4K, they would have done that at the same time. I agree that they should, but I just don't see that happening no matter how many signatures were collected. They have made It very clear that only their more modern fare is of interest to them for 4K releases. I'd love to.be wrong, but as I noted before, Disney appears to be basically done putting any effort into catalog releases.

WaltWiz1901

Agent
Real Name
Ryan Bannon
Throw in actually uncut versions of Bedknobs and Broomsticks and Pete's Dragon and the collection would be a dream come true.
I think there's a lot of factors on how likely Blu-rays could be, but there's definitely a market.

Use Steelbook packaging and consolidate some of the multi-volume sets (i.e. have all the Silly Symphonies in one 4-disc set). Packaging-wise, I've seen some impressive stuff with steelbooks with a clear slipcase and a booklet.
Hmm...now those are something! (Coincidentally, I was thinking about using SteelBooks and folding the two-volume sets (B&W Mickey, color Mickey, Pluto, and the "Silly Symphonies") and The Chronological Donald down to one set and two volumes, respectively)

I was also thinking about including the following movies in the Legacy Collection:
- Fantasia
- Dumbo
- Song of the South
- Treasure Island
- Alice in Wonderland
- 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
- Darby O'Gill and the Little People
- Swiss Family Robinson
- Babes in Toyland
- The Sword in the Stone
- The Misadventures of Merlin Jones
- The Three Lives of Thomasina
- Mary Poppins
- The Happiest Millionaire
- The Aristocats
- Robin Hood
- The Island at the Top of the World
- Freaky Friday
- The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
- The Cat from Outer Space
- The Black Hole
...as well as some multi-movie collections ("South of the Border", "Music and Melody", Herbie, Dean Jones, Hayley Mills, Kurt Russell, etc.)

I'm still wondering, though: are there any custom cover artists here who could come up with decent hypothetical cover art for both the movies listed above and the shorts and TV collections listed here?

Last edited:

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Song Of The South is one of my favorites . But I doubt we'll ever see it on any format . Politically incorrect .

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Song Of The South is one of my favorites . But I doubt we'll ever see it on any format . Too politically incorrect for this day and age.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Song Of The South is one of my favorites . But I doubt we'll ever see it on any format . Too politically incorrect for this day and age.

MarkA

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Abel
There were 30(!) Treasures sets released. The lineup consisted of:
- Mickey Mouse in Black and White (two volumes)
- Mickey Mouse in Living Color (two volumes)
- The Chronological Donald (four volumes)
- The Complete Goofy
- The Complete Pluto (two volumes)
- The Adventures of Oswald the Lucky Rabbit
- Silly Symphonies (two volumes)
- Disney Rarities: Celebrated Shorts - 1920s-1960s
- Walt Disney on the Front Lines
- Behind the Scenes at the Walt Disney Studio
- Your Host, Walt Disney
- Davy Crockett
- Legendary Heroes: Elfego Baca and The Swamp Fox
- Dr. Syn: The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh
- Disneyland U.S.A.
- Tomorrowland
- Disneyland: Secrets, Stories & Magic
- The Mickey Mouse Club: Week One
- The Adventures of Spin and Marty (The Mickey Mouse Club)
- The Hardy Boys (The Mickey Mouse Club)
- The Mickey Mouse Club Presents: Annette
- Zorro (two seasons)
There was still a lot of stuff we could've gotten out of the series, like the remaining Donald/Goofy/"special" shorts, countless television serials and episodes, a set about Walt Disney World, etc. etc. etc., but what we did get was pretty solid!

MarkA

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Abel
There were 30(!) Treasures sets released. The lineup consisted of:
- Mickey Mouse in Black and White (two volumes)
- Mickey Mouse in Living Color (two volumes)
- The Chronological Donald (four volumes)
- The Complete Goofy
- The Complete Pluto (two volumes)
- The Adventures of Oswald the Lucky Rabbit
- Silly Symphonies (two volumes)
- Disney Rarities: Celebrated Shorts - 1920s-1960s
- Walt Disney on the Front Lines
- Behind the Scenes at the Walt Disney Studio
- Your Host, Walt Disney
- Davy Crockett
- Legendary Heroes: Elfego Baca and The Swamp Fox
- Dr. Syn: The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh
- Disneyland U.S.A.
- Tomorrowland
- Disneyland: Secrets, Stories & Magic
- The Mickey Mouse Club: Week One
- The Adventures of Spin and Marty (The Mickey Mouse Club)
- The Hardy Boys (The Mickey Mouse Club)
- The Mickey Mouse Club Presents: Annette
- Zorro (two seasons)
There was still a lot of stuff we could've gotten out of the series, like the remaining Donald/Goofy/"special" shorts, countless television serials and episodes, a set about Walt Disney World, etc. etc. etc., but what we did get was pretty solid!

I just counted mine and I have 20 of them.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
This is all moot.
I guess if you want to play at it why not?
Iger looking crushed when Cheapskate was suddenly announced as the new CEO was very gratifying.
Now he doesn't get the proud moment of leaving on a career high with the 50th anniversary celebration.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
They're the ones who have to deal with any negativity towards it. It seems like they have other unrelated problems to deal with at the present time. But if they ever do change their mind, then at least by the time it does get out, it won't be one of those ugly smear-storations.

But let's ask ourselves: is Monkeys, Go Home actually a better film? The Disney studio thinks so because they still considered it Blu-ray worthy. IMDB does not.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I think the underlying problem is that they clearly want to market their films as timeless and a film like Song of the South holds up as well as milk from the same vintage. Not just in racial aspects, but the scenes with Johnny and his family stop the film dead because the animated sequences and anything with James Baskett are so great. The irony is that even if they eventually release it or license it out, I think a lot of people are going to be let down that it's not some suppressed masterpiece.

As for the DMC title decisions, I'm puzzled by their rationale, too. I had assumed the biggest titles like 20,000 Leagues, Pollyanna, The Black Hole, Swiss Family Robinson, and Old Yeller were held up because they were too important to release as bare-bones discs. Just imagine those in the hands of the boutique labels!

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Yet films that aged worse in a shorter period of time, films that were either outright bombs in their day or came and went with little to no fanfare to begin with, still get released. It's not like we're talking about some half-forgotten TV movie with some half-forgotten teen idol.

Case in point: The Hunter and the Rock Star. A 1980 Disney's Wonderful World installment; not terrible, but too short to be a feature film, yet Disney gave it a DVD through DMC after it had been on video in the 1980s with another episode. Timothy Hutton was in it the same year he won the Oscar for Ordinary People. He's seen better days. They released that because they thought it would have no negative publicity — or publicity at all, for that matter.

And don't get me started on the not-what-I-would-call-grassroots backlash against Onward over one freaking line. Or the TV version of Love Simon getting bumped to Hulu for being too risqué for Disney+. The more things change…

Last edited:

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Isn't SFR on bluray? Without Tommy Kirk on the cover?

They released Monkeys Go Home on bluray? Isn't that one of those pleasant but slight comedies like Never a Dull Moment and That Darn Cat(which admittedly has some hilarious moments)? To be honest I saw it as a boy but have little recollection of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks