What's new

Wacky bi-amping odyssey and parasound (1 Viewer)

Mike Nep

Stunt Coordinator
Bored out of my mind at work I came up with another possible configuration that might or might not work. What would the effects/consequences be if I were to bi-amp my studio 80's by running the mid and low end with the odyssey stratos (1 channel to each speaker) and then running the tweeters (1 channel to each tweeter)from my parasound 855? I've heard tweeters don't need as much juice as mids and lows. If this is the case, my stratos amp would be fully dedicated to the low end of the system and my tweets would have a full 85 watts for themselves from the parasound. Would the sonic characteristics of each amp degrade the overall system or would I be getting the best of both worlds from each amps. In this case the parts may be greater than the whole. Is this feasible?

Larry B

Screenwriter
Mike:

I have heard of the strategy of using a tube amp for the highs and mids, and a SS amp for the woofers. As you probably guessed, this is done by individuals whose interest is music, not HT.

Larry

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Or you just might find that the Stratos alone does a great job across the entire spectrum.

Doug

RichardMA

Second Unit
Mike:

I have heard of the strategy of using a tube amp for the highs and mids, and a SS amp for the woofers. As you probably guessed, this is done by individuals whose interest is music, not HT.

Larry

That's not true. For my centre, I use an Adcom amp for
the midrange and woofer and an Antique Sound Labs (8wpc)
tube amp for the tweeter. Works perfectly, and the tube
amp imbues the voices with a better sound.
The tube amps can be purchased for $99/ea new so bi-wiring
all tweeters in a home theater isn't out of the question.

John H

Second Unit
I once use two different manufactures amplifiers to passive biamplify the mids and highs of my front stage speakers. The woofers sections have internal amps.

I used a Parasound HCA-2205A on the mid/bass drivers and an Anthem M3 on the tweeters.

Make sure the amplifiers you use have the same voltage gain specifications to maintain proper balance.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks