What's new

Vudu users can convert their DVDs and Blu-rays to UltraViolet digital copies (1 Viewer)

Kevin Collins

Former owner, from the first state with COVID-19
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Collins
This isn't exactly new news, but I stumbled across and thought it would be interesting. As of June 3 Vudu users can convert their DVDs and Blu-rays to UltraViolet digital copies. Yawn, right? Well Vudu has added some incentives to this.
Vudu is offering one free $2 conversion to all customers and will cut your total in half when you scan 10 or more discs in the same order. In-home disc-to-digital is undoubtedly easier than driving out to your local Walmart to achieve the same end result.

Has anyone used in-home disc-to-digital delivery yet?

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Yes, I've used it a couple of times. They now have a Mac client.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
And no PS3 app. (My Mac doesn't have a Blu-ray drive.) :(

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Actually, there is a Vudu app on PS3. I've used it.

[email protected]

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Yep, converted a few. Luckily I wasn't in a hurry as now I will do bunches of them while they have the discount going....Terrific Deal!

Mark Mayes

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Mayes
I had "Pride and Prejudice" (1940) converted, but the film has a green video line that keeps popping up at the bottom of the screen on and off for the first ten minutes of the film.
Not sure I want to go ahead with any more.

P

Patrick Donahue

I did a batch of about 10 awhile ago when I felt like I would be moving from physical to digital, but just stopped there...

1) The quality was passable but just not that great, especially compared to the copy I clearly already owned. It's fine on my 50in but what if I wanted to upgrade some day to 120in?

2) I could never get past the decision to do either UV or iTunes (might be different if they were one and the same). I just felt like I was locking myself down to one ecosystem. I have no such qualms with music as that doesn't have DRM and the files can be moved from one service tio another if you so choose.

3) While I flirted with going digital over physical for awhile, I just felt too uncomfortable with the whole thing. It seems like everything is going to the cloud now, even with something like iWork in the Cloud for Mac. I mean with tablets, you basically cannot get your hands on a file. Not the end of the world to be sure but I just was not comfortable with it...

I'd be curious as to your thoughts on digital files, Steve. I know you've been into home theater a long time and from posts I've seen you seem to not be afraid of a digital world. If you don't mind sharing what are your thoughts and how do you have everything set up?

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
I tried the free trial thing because it was a free trial (or get five free, or whatever you want to call it). It took me awhile to find five things it would actually recognize.

I'm not going to say it was hard to use, but I will say it was... long... to use, I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks