What's new

VSX 1014 question in Sterio Mode (1 Viewer)

Ryan_McG

Grip
Hello all,

I just picked up the Pioneer VSX 1014, and noticed that the stereo level is quite a bit lower than my previous
VSX 510. When playing in Stereo, it there a setting I can save so both front left and right levels are full? Now when it is in Stereo it seems like it plays in 2 channel stereo but keeps the calibrated speaker levels of the surround set up which are alot lower as opposed to the VSX 510 model.

Any help would be much appreciated!

John S

Senior HTF Member
I guess I'm not sure what the problem is?

I mean, my levels from source to source are all over the place. heck, same for HDTV show to HDTV show, don't even get me started on commercials...

Are you saying you can't get it loud enough?

Mark Dill

Stunt Coordinator
That's how it should work. I know what you mean though, it seems like you are getting a lot less overall volume when you switch to stereo mode, but this is a good thing. What was probably happening on your old receiver is that when you were playing in 5-channel mode, your amp was taxed and not delivering full power to the speakers. So when you switched to stereo, it could deliver full power, and you heard about the same total level of sound. Your new amp is working correctly, though, it shuts off power to the other speakers and delivers the same level of power to your mains. It just means your amp can handle the full load of multi-channel.

I use stereo mode for CD's and surround for DVD's and since CD's are generally mixed at a louder volume level than DVD's this works out pretty well.

VinhT

Second Unit
Don't know if the 1014 works the same way, but other Pioneer receivers have separate speaker level settings for surround and stereo. The stereo values will not automatically be the same.

I suspect something may be amiss with your setup (unless you listen to classical music), because I watch movies at -30, but when I switch to music, I usually have to turn it down to -40. It's not a power issue, but more of a recorded dynamic range thing. If you note that the speaker levels for stereo sound the same as the surround's, and you did not specifically set it up that way, then it sounds like you may still have some sort of digital signal processing enabled.

But anyways, there is something you can do. While in stereo mode, adjust the speaker level settings. There will only be three channels available for modification. Left, right, and sub. Just boost them to +5 or so, and that should be somewhat of a bandaid for your problem.

Hope this helped some.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
How do you have the gear connected and have you calibrated using an SPL meter? Like some other receivers, does the 1014 have the ability to adjust levels per source?

ChrisCan

Agent
I noticed on my 1014 that the volume is calibrated differently than my VSX-509. I have to turn the volume higher to get the same SPL. The 1014/15 is much more powerful though, it can drive my speakers much louder and with less distortion than the 509. Did you run the MCCAC auto calibration in the 1014?

Ryan_McG

Grip
Thanks all for your responses.

After reading the responses I think what Mark is saying is correct, i really notice the surround sound being a more true and louder sound than the previous VSX 510, since I was used the surround mode dropping off in volume after listening in stereo.

To answer your question VinhT, to the best of my knowledge, when the 1014 is in stereo mode, it still keeps your last setting saved after the MCCAC setup calibrated the speakers. Like you said, most receivers have a separate setting to save the stereo mode settings, but for some odd reason I Don't believe this receiver does.

The simple fact is that if i set the volume level for the right and left channel at 10, the sound is obviously louder, but then it messes up the surround settings, and you have to go back in and re set it back to what the MCCAC calibrated it at. Slightly annoying, but still quite a good receiver, and amazing in it's price range

al lout

Stunt Coordinator
I'm too noticed that the stereo mode was way too low whenever I'm playing cd/dvd (using stereo mode or analog signal). I'm suspected that this caused by the setting of my cd/dvd player as it sounded fine when I'm listening to radio with stereo mode.

Ryan_McG

Grip
My old Pioneer 510 was all hooked up to the same sources it is hooked up to now, and the stereo mode is still lower than the 510. So DVD, CD, Xbox, VRC, TV and Radio are all well lower than I am used to with the 510 model

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks