What's new

Pioneer VSX-906s (1 Viewer)

ChaplainWill

Auditioning
Real Name
Will
Hello to all - I have a great old Pioneer VSX-D906S receiver. I purchased it new. Everything on it still works perfectly. I also have a very new Vizio “TV” set. I am successfully using the two together (audio / video functions). Many years ago, I could use the built-in receiver function - and the remote - to set the output levels for each individual speaker. Including the all important center “dialogue” channel. With my new set I can’t bring up that specific function at all. I’m wondering if the problem might be a cable (type) issue between the receiver and the TV. If anyone has information - especially first hand experience - it would be much appreciated!
Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Can you clarify your post? The speaker levels, including the center channel, are set with the receiver, not the TV. And always have been. It sounds like you’re trying to do that via the TV.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My guess is, the TV is being used for switching, so there is no way to view the receiver's menus onscreen.

Your sources should go to the receiver first, then to the TV. Then you can access the receiver's setup menu when using the hdmi input on the TV.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Ah! I looked up the receiver, and it doesn't have hdmi.

So, you need to connect the composite (yellow) monitor output on the receiver to a composite input on the TV, which might require connecting an accessory "dongle" to the TV that would have come with the manual and remote. Then you have to select that input on the TV and hit the same setup button on the receiver's remote to access the menu you're used to.

ChaplainWill

Auditioning
Real Name
Will

So, you need to connect the composite (yellow) monitor output on the receiver to a composite input on the TV, which might require connecting an accessory "dongle" to the TV that would have come with the manual and remote. Then you have to select that input on the TV and hit the same setup button on the receiver's remote to access the menu you're used to.
Thanks - I will give that a try. Will let you know if that works. CW

ChaplainWill

Auditioning
Real Name
Will
Thanks - I will give that a try. Will let you know if that works. CW

JohnRice - your suggestion worked perfectly. No dongle required. It was very helpful in setting the desired output from each speaker. In particular, I now have the dialog level from the center channel set to where we can once again hear it properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.