What's new

Volcano project: Nephew (1 Viewer)

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
My Nephew (Grade 7) has a volcano project coming up. The "demonstration" will be held outside, extra marks will be given for the height/distance of the eruption.

Any ideas? :)

No explosives... :D

Any tips on the volcano design would also be appreciated.

Thanks,

Daniel_GT

Auditioning
I don't know how you could do this, but in high school Physics, my classmates and I put some baking powder or baking soda in an empty 1 liter coke bottle. If you then put vinegar in it and VERY QUICKLY put it upside down in a bucket, it will shoot up in the air like a bottle rocket.

Hope this helps.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
No I was thinking C02 as a propellant rather then some combustable material. Bakeing soda and an acid is one of the more typical solutions people come up with.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I suppose a field trip to the Mirage in Las Vegas is out of the question... ;)

Seriously, Google "make your own volcano". You'll find a number of pages with instructions on how to do this.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
I'm thinking a bike pump, one 1-liter bottle, a milk carton cap and some superglue....

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Make sure that the volcano does not leak air, etc.

Place red, dry die along the sides of the volcano.

A sandwich bag you should have a small, wet water drip in the side of the volcano that will leak whatever form of colored liquid you want (red die)

DO NOT SEAL THE TOP.

If you do, you will have a "dry Ice Bomb" and you will get one hell of an explosion (and it may be illegal in your area)

However, if the base is sealed, and you quickly insert a heavier then water liquid with a smaller then base opening, you will still get a quick "WHOOSH!" and a good upward motion, along with the right volcanic shaking/etc. to go along with :)

(BTW, another, more complex method can be done without dry ice, but with sodium.. which could put out a cool effect but would definitely have an explosion to go along with it ;)

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I did. Most of the instructions were the old baking soda and vinegar solution. I was looking for something more.... explosive. :D

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Thanks Mary!
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Robert Marc

Stunt Coordinator
compressed air anyone? or, as andrew alluded to, a co2 cartridge perhaps? since you can't use explosives :thumbsdown: , i'd try using a portable air tank with a high-flow to it.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The anchorwoman's jumpiness was funny. She must have been really traumatized by whatever happened the last time.

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Still working on it. We have the volcano built...(chicken wire frame covered with clay/plasticine) we are working on building a small community nearby and will be painting and testing soon. I'll try and take some pics as well....

Thanks guys/gals!

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
The volcano is finished and looks fantastic! My Nephew was marked on it yesterday and received an A-
The realism of the volcano is why he received such a good mark.

Apparently the "eruption" was not up to snuff. He ended up going with the traditional baking soda, vinegar, red dye and some soap for some extra foaming. Still, he was pretty happy with the grade and he had a lot of fun working on it.

Thanks to everyone for their help!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks