What's new
World Wide Stereo

Video of my defective Sony 55" HX929 (1 Viewer)

stevedensmore

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve Densmore

This is supposed to be a uniform solid grey screen, yet the left and right sides are different color temperatures. Also notice that the dynamic backlighting (aka local dimming) has a very minimal effect on the right in comparison to the left. Authorized Sony technicians came out to inspect the television on two different occasions, from two different repair centers. Both said they consider it to be defective and wouldn't be satisfied either, but Sony refuses to take responsibility for it. Rather than agreeing to repair it, Sony's only offer is a refund. Way to stand by your products, Sony!
Here's a response from Sony's VP of Engineering...
"There does not appear to me to be a problem with the color uniformity, but he may not like the algorithm determining what color is displayed. The Family Guy scene may be the TV or may be his Laptop.....I'm not sure which is correct. Nothing we can do about it. I see from the test pattern a slight right edge mura, but that would appear as a shadow and not a color uniformity issue and that is not his complaint. That is also in spec. If the customer is not satisfied with the set I agree at this point we should buy it back and not extend another offer. The HX929 is one the highest rated LCD TV ever by CNET and ENGADGET so it is not like there is anything better we can offer. - Tim"

728x90

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
This is why I will never buy another Sony TV. For more than a decade, their TVs have had serious quality control issues. My 36" XBR CRT displays a blue blotch in the left bottom corner of the set. Prior to that, my XBR 400 had a bad digital board that was replaced but the TV never was the same and had serious convergence issues. They ended giving me the XBR 800.

My XSD XBR60 has digital block problem and Sony at first declined there was a problem... until the class action lawsuit. Three optical blocks later, I still have the issue but the blotch is across 95 percent of the screen so there is little uniformaity problem... LOL. They ended up sending me a new set but it was a cheaper 60 inch LED Bravia model which I ended up selling.

Later this year I will be looking at Panasonics.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
wow, I cant believe you are complaining. (both of you).
You complain (whether or not there is merit to the complaint) and they either gave you a new display or they offered you a refund. what more could you ask for ???
They replaced the optical block 3 times and then gave you a new display (which btw would out perform the original set) and you are not happy ?
Products fail, that is life. from what I am reading....Sony has far and beyond what is reasonable.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Believe it.

1. The TV offered to me as a replacement was far inferior to the XBR I had. I went to Best Buy to look at it, calibrated with my disk, and the picture was horrible... washed out blacks being the worst. If they had given me a XBR as a replacement, then the solution would have been more equitable. A 2000 dollar TV for a 3500 dollar one is not equitable. As defective as the XBR is, it was far superior to the replacement offered in picture quality.

2. Replacement of an optical block three times is not satisfactory quality control. The XBR still has a bad optical block so that would be four replacements had I not accepted Sony's replacement. So the TV is still bad. I put up with it as 95 percent of the screen pushes green.

Of course I did not recount the experience of going back and forth with Sony with the issue until the class action lawsuit found the consumers correct.

Products should not fail after one year of service. Actually, I find your post rather offensive as you don't know the hell I went through trying to get an admitted problem resolved.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marv74BR
Recent bookmarks