What's new

International Via Vision Entertainment announces new premium Blu-ray label IMPRINT (3 Viewers)

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yes, I'm a total Blu-ray snob, but I still buy DVDs, mostly TV series that were shot on tape, or obviously won't ever get a Blu-ray release. Some movies too, if I just want to see it & it's not available on Blu-ray, after all we're film fans here, not tech-heads. And if you don't mind second hand, TV sets can be had for a song: Scrubs £4, How I Met Your Mother £5, Buffy £5, Angel £4, (& many more), all complete box sets bought from charity shops (I think they're called thrift stores in the States).

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Can't really get excited about DVD announcements anymore since Blu-ray is now the grand ole man of the mastering/remastering process and 4K is steadily gaining a toe-hold in the industry. Also, since many of the above mentioned TV sets were shot either on film or digitally, so no good reason they can't be brought to at least basic high def with consistency and quality.

Yeah. When I saw the Canadian show X Company in the list, I got excited until I saw that it was DVD and not BD.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Imprint Films - The War Of The Worlds 4K + Blu-ray SteelBook_Page_1.jpg
Imprint Films - The War Of The Worlds 4K + Blu-ray SteelBook_Page_2.jpg

Last edited:

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
The Warner 30th Anniversary Blu, in fact, contained a director commentary, a trailer, and three lengthy interviews. I don't know what copy you picked up...:rolleyes: A Spanish edition, perhaps?
I just checked my Blu Ray copy of THE KILLING FIELDS, and there are no interviews. A trailer and Commentary are all that is listed. And the other site's review doesn't list interviews.

What region Blu Ray do YOU have? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I just checked my Blu Ray copy of THE KILLING FIELDS, and there are no interviews. A trailer and Commentary are all that is listed. And the other site's review doesn't list interviews.

What region Blu Ray do YOU have? :rolleyes:

Region A, the 2014 digibook Warner Bros release in the U.S. But the prior release, in an old snapper case, had the same transfer and bonus features (commentary & trailer). It does not have interviews...did I say it did? Can't remember.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Region A, the 2014 digibook Warner Bros release in the U.S. But the prior release, in an old snapper case, had the same transfer and bonus features (commentary & trailer). It does not have interviews...did I say it did? Can't remember.
Yah… you did. “Two lengthy interviews…”

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Talk about bleeding blood from a turnip.

I can't disagree, but there have been worse excuses given for reissues. But other than folks Down Under who, for whatever reason might want this, it's pretty much a "why bother?" release. I imagine that they'll be using the exact same master as Paramount's own UHD, so there's no likelihood of any improvement over Paramount's or Criterion's releases.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I ordered SAVE THE TIGER and the ROLAND JAFFE set. I've never seen SAVE THE TIGER; I've been wanting to for years because Jack Lemmon was such an amazing actor and I love him in just about everything.

and the JAffe set is mostly for the bonus features, but I hope the transfer of FIELDS is pretty good.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
I don't get the ire for an AUS label releasing a disc for the 1st time as 4KUHD in AUS. The fact it's been released in other countries as a 4K seems completely unimportant and a prior AUS BD only slightly more relevant.

As far as I can tell there was an Imprint LE BD, the Imprint Std BD after the LE sold out, and now a 4KUHD release. Isn't that a reasonable release pattern
Whether of not there are releases in Europe/UK, Japan, or the US doesn't seem meaningful

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't get the ire for an AUS label releasing a disc for the 1st time as 4KUHD in AUS. The fact it's been released in other countries as a 4K seems completely unimportant and a prior AUS BD only slightly more relevant.

As far as I can tell there was an Imprint LE BD, the Imprint Std BD after the LE sold out, and now a 4KUHD release. Isn't that a reasonable release pattern
Whether of not there are releases in Europe/UK, Japan, or the US doesn't seem meaningful
It's more of an observation than any ire on my part. It doesn't bother me at all, since it doesn't affect me because I already have the Imprint and Criterion Blu-rays along with the Paramount 4K/UHD. I'm good!

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I just watched two new Imprint titles,
PRETTY BABY.. It must be a restoration. Sven Nykvist's cinematography looks stunning ... better than when it was first released. There is also a fascinating 2022 interview with Brooke Shields.
I also watched LOLITA. It looks fantastic as well. A haunting Morricone score in this more faithful to the book adaptation.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I ordered SAVE THE TIGER and the ROLAND JAFFE set. I've never seen SAVE THE TIGER; I've been wanting to for years because Jack Lemmon was such an amazing actor and I love him in just about everything.

and the JAffe set is mostly for the bonus features, but I hope the transfer of FIELDS is pretty good.
Save The Tiger is a good film and have the old Paramount dvd from 2005. Just purchased the Imprint release so i hope the image quality is good on it. Was not happy about Imprint's Day of the Locust which for me was the worst looking Blu-ray i have seen in the last few years.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Save The Tiger is a good film and have the old Paramount dvd from 2005. Just purchased the Imprint release so i hope the image quality is good on it. Was not happy about Imprint's Day of the Locust which for me was the worst looking Blu-ray i have seen in the last few years.
Imprint is at the mercy of what studios are willing to provide to them. They do NO restoration work of their own and are NOT working from original film elements but rather digital output mastered, in some cases, from badly worn VHS and DVD quality elements. The blame here is entirely on Paramount. Imprint is, therefore, a real 'hit or miss' boutique label. If you weren't satisfied with Day of the Locust (and no self-respecting buff should be!) steer clear of Barabbas, Things to Do In Denver When You're Dead, Alfie, The Long Ships, Double Jeopardy, and, The Nelson Affair.

I think Paramount is finally, if slowly, coming around to the fact that shoddy mastering is no longer acceptable. In point of fact, it is as antiquated as 8-tracks.

Paramount's home grown 'presents' line-up, going back to remaster Double Jeopardy (previously ported over to ViaVision in a horrendously ugly transfer with built in edge effects) is definitely a signal the company may be turning a creative corner, to more fully invest in what's left of their vintage holdings (remember, most everything pre-1950 now belongs to Universal) and begin marketing them anew under their own umbrella, and, with the all-important investment of time and dollars necessary to present their holdings in optimal quality for generations to come.

We'll see. Stay tuned.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nielmb
    Recent bookmarks