What's new

International Via Vision Entertainment announces new premium Blu-ray label IMPRINT (26 Viewers)

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I just received DAY OF THE LOCUST. It does not look like a restoration or remastered print. Looks on par with the HD iTunes version. Perhaps this in inherent in Conrad Hall's cinematography....but it borders on blurry with defused washed out colors. Very disappointed.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I just received DAY OF THE LOCUST. It does not look like a restoration or remastered print. Looks on par with the HD iTunes version. Perhaps this in inherent in Conrad Hall's cinematography....but it borders on blurry with defused washed out colors. Very disappointed.
Sad to hear that and do you have the dvd to compare? I did watch the dvd a few years ago so when i get the Blu-ray i will listen to the commentary.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member

If my memory serves me correctly, the film never had a sharp detailed look, it always had a softly diffused look.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Just received it and did a comparison to my dvd and they are both the same in color and just a slight increase in resolution on the Blu-ray. I can not believe my eyes and i think a poor print of the film was used and looks like the same master from the 2004 dvd release. Very disappointed too!!!

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: PMF

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Some great news on The Winslow Boy. The Imprint Blu-ray looks great and a big improvement over the 2000 dvd release with more picture on all four sides. Looks very good so happy about that but still disappointed about The Day of the Locust.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Just received it and did a comparison to my dvd and they are both the same in color and just a slight increase in resolution on the Blu-ray. I can not believe my eyes and i think a poor print of the film was used and looks like the same master from the 2004 dvd release. Very disappointed too!!!
I thought the same thing about DAY OF THE LOCUST.... very disappointing

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched my iTunes HD transfer of Day of the Locust tonight. I didn't drag out my DVD for comparison, but I recalled it being dirtier than the transfer I watched tonight. Maybe I'm just operating off of a faulty memory. I also can't remember from my one theatrical experience with the movie if it was as soft then as it is in this transfer. I seem to recall a certain amount of diffusion, but again, I may have just watched my DVD too many times to have a clear memory of my original experience with this movie (other than to be very depressed and heartsick by the end of it).

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Cut-and-paste from an email I received this morning:

Hi Rick,

Thanks for your e-mail.

We have just announced that standard editions of the first 5 Imprint films (The War of the Worlds, Sorry, Wrong Number, I Married a Monster From Outer Space, The Duellists and Waterloo) are currently scheduled for March 2021.

Standard editions of other sold out releases have not been confirmed and we cannot guarantee that will receive a standard edition release.

Thank you.
Ryan

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
The new "Major Dundee" release is a first class effort and the definitive Blu-Ray release of this film.

bugsy-pal

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
I thought the same thing about DAY OF THE LOCUST.... very disappointing

I too am disappointed with this... I compared the bluray with the US DVD on the weekend, and there's very little difference. The bluray looks like the DVD upscaled, smoothing out some of the blockiness of the DVD - but negligible additional detail apparent. Frankly, it's crap.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I too am disappointed with this... I compared the bluray with the US DVD on the weekend, and there's very little difference. The bluray looks like the DVD upscaled, smoothing out some of the blockiness of the DVD - but negligible additional detail apparent. Frankly, it's crap.
I agree with that and was hoping Paramount would release a nice new transfer of the film but that did not happen. So far I have purchased from Imprint War of the Worlds, Waterloo, and The Winslow Boy and all looked good to me so The Day of the Locust is a disappointment.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Anyone get No Way to Treat a Lady?

I did. I haven't watched it through, but as is my wont with any new purchases, I chapter-skipped through it to check for possible playback issues. In context, I thought all of the Wave #2 titles looked decent enough. With No Way to Treat a Lady, the only thing that stuck out was that the skin tones seemed a bit too ruddy.

willyTass

Supporting Actor
I spoke with the bloke in Melbourne who runs VIAVISION out of Melbourne regarding the provenance of the masters sent to them from paramount. He said paramount have not revealed any details Viz a viz 4k scans , 2 k scans , interpositives, what era they came from . Nada .

• Insightful

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
We all know where they came from. If they're doing something here they do a new scan for it - if someone overseas licenses some title they send what they have on the shelf, which is what most of Imprints titles are - scans done for DVD, some over a decade old. I just got No Way to Treat a Lady - we'll see what that's like - it's the DVD master, I'm sure.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
With The Winslow Boy the Blu-ray is a big upgrade over my dvd so in that case they did not use a dvd master and it's a Sony Pictures Classics release.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
With The Winslow Boy the Blu-ray is a big upgrade over my dvd so in that case they did not use a dvd master and it's a Sony Pictures Classics release.

Um, I'm specifically talking about Paramount, not other studios. And I can pretty much confirm No Way to Treat a Lady is the same as the DVD with a little clean-up perhaps. Better detail, of course, so that's nice - same exact color and everything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks