What's new

velodyne or infinity sub? (1 Viewer)

Lee Petty

Stunt Coordinator
im looking for a sub in the $300 range (maybe a lil more).
all my speakers are infinity so, the infinity entra sub was a natural option. but at a lower price is the velodyne CHT8 which has very similar specs, but is $50 cheaper than the infinity. can i get some opinions? i know velodyne is highly reguarded most of the time.
i guess i should mention that my main speakers are infinity studio monitor sm-255's. these have 15" woofers, 2 5.25" mids, and a .75" tweeter.

Michael Roderiques

Stunt Coordinator
To give you a good recommendation, need some additional information.

Budget is good to know.

Room size is important, need to know HxWxD
Also just helps to know if you will only use this for HT, or a mixed use of music and HT.

The best recommendation may be to wait a while and build up a bank and then go shopping for a sub that will match up with your room and speakers.

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
In my experience,the Velo will sound better than the Infinity subs. Infinity isn't well known for their subs, and Velodyne makes some of the best around. However, I agree that for a few more bucks, an entry level SVS or Hsu VTF-2 will best them both.

Lee Petty

Stunt Coordinator
room size is about 22x19, with 8ft ceilings. the ht area is a bit smaller, about 10x19.
im planning on putting the sub behind me, in the corner of the room.
ht is the main importance, i listen to some music, but im not that picky on it. i just want good sounding bass for movies.

Michael Roderiques

Stunt Coordinator
Lee
your room is about 3350 Cu. Ft. thats a good size room. An 8 inch sub is just too small for that room.
Look at a CHT-15 as a minimum.
An SPL-1200 would also be an option.

Better to hold off and get a sub that will be better matched to your system.

Watch circuit city ads, they sometimes have them on sale. Also check and see if they have an open box unit.

Also you could check e-bay, sometimes you can find a good deal.

Lee Petty

Stunt Coordinator
well i was wondering if i could get away with a small sub since my mains have 15in woofers already.

Cam S

Screenwriter
I doubt an 8" sub would make much of an impact on your system. You'll really need a larger sub, like the CHT-15 mentioned, to add to the bass that's already being put out by the mains. Save up for a little longer to up your budget and get a bigger sub.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Hi Lee. If you were to go the 8" rout your system or should I say you would suffer from lack of impact. I have never experienced a Infinity but it seems as though they are not to highly regarded. If you can I would go the 15" option for HT in the size room you describe. My HT sounds like basically the same size except 10ft ceilings. The ct-cht 15" would do nicely for you plus give you some head-room. It's performance is on pare with the vtf-3, with the slight edge going to the 3 "not" factoring cost. The velos can be had for $500 new from a dealer and you might be able to find a demo for $375+ with the two year warranty. Considering the whole picture, you imo would benefit greatly from waiting or just taking the hit now and going with some brand of a bigger and better sub.

Tom Grooms

Second Unit
It's performance is on pare with the vtf-3, with the slight edge going to the 3 "not" factoring cost.
Really? I had a CT-15 home for a trial beside the VFT-2 and the 2 spanked it pretty good. I can only imagine what the VFT-3 would do compared to a CT-15.

Lee, for a little less than $450.00, you will be hard pressed to find a better sub than the HSU VFT-2!

Mark Russ

Second Unit
Lee, for under $400, you can go to ubid.com and pick up an Infinity IL100 or Il120 subwoofer with their excellant, ingenious RABOS (room adaptive bass adjustment system) program that I guarantee you when properly dialed in, will absolutely kill any Velodyne sub you could get at even 1 1/2 times the price, especially on music.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Mark and Tom I just do not agree with you at all. I just spent some time looking up posts and reviews and I will just leave it at that in regards to Infinity except to say that I think the HSU line of subs are very good indeed. I am speaking of a sub for the HT aplication. :D

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
Once again.
If you are set on the entry level Velodynes, consider the CHT 120 over the CHT 150, as it is "faster" and less boomy. Any Velo sounds better than the IL series Infinity no matter how good a deal you might get on it. The Hsu VTF-2 really outclasses any of the above, and the VTF-3 should not be considered as it is way more expensive, and performance wise in a whole 'nother league.

Mark Russ

Second Unit
Well, there you have it Lee. I say Infinity, and Russell says Velodyne. I don't know why I or anyone else for that matter even bother to respond to these posts about asking which is better between two or more pieces of equipment, as their will ALWAYS be differences of opinion. I don't know about Russell, but I have listened to both, in my house at that, although it was the Velo. Ct150 (the big boy), and I'm telling you, with the RABOS dialed in, in my opinion, no contest. IL 120 Infinity hands down, especially on music. It was much, much tighter and quicker. If you just want something that just booms and rattles the shutters, then practically any sub will do the trick, but in that price range if you want something that you can still FEEL without booming obnoxiously, the Infinity will be very tough to beat, in my opinion. All I can say, is try them both if you can, and then decide for yourself. As for me, I kept the Infinity, and the Velo. went back to the store.

Michael Roderiques

Stunt Coordinator
This is a question for Mark and Russell

Could you explain "Faster" "Quicker" and "Tighter"
Also "booms"

I do not understand these terms as you have used them here.

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
Michael,
Although neither of these terms are strictly accurate, they commonly refer to the attack and decay of the driver in question, or it's ability to keep up with the music.
Also please understand that while Mark and I might disagree on the subject of which sub is better, it is all in good faith based only on our own experiences. You need to try and get the subs that you are interested into your home and decide for yourself which you like better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks