What's new

Vandersteen 2CE signature, what to power them with? (1 Viewer)

WaltS

Agent
Real Name
Walter Short
I am going to audition a set of Vandersteen 2CE's signature speakers tomorrow and have 3/4 talked myself into getting them bar a poor audition. Now that I'm thinking of getting a set of revealing audiophile speakers the question of what to drive them with that won't break my bank is foremost.

I understand that speakers such as these will glaringly reveal any weaknesses in your electronics so I'm hesitant to just hook up a receiver when it's likely that I should plan on a pre-amp and at a minimum an integrated amp.

If I get the Vandersteen's it's likely that I'll also get the surrounds to match and leave the system as a 4 speaker set up with phantom center as I only need to have proper sound for one sweet spot. What pre-amp will be sufficient for 5.1 decoding into 4.1 and what integrated amp would be adequate for simply driving 4 speakers. I'm trying to keep the cost of the electronics down due to blowing more than my budget on speakers. The outlaw 950 pre and amp combo at $2400 is more than I can justify spending so what I'm looking for is something in the $1800 or less range if possible.

If I can't find a good combination pre-amp and amp in my budget what receiver should I take a chance on not sounding poor with the Vandersteen's?

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Well, I can only speak for my 1Cs, but they ran fine with my Denon 3300. I now have a Parasound 855A running them, and while I do notice some improvement, it isn't huge.

The 2CEs are slightly less efficent, so you may need a little more power than what I have.

BTW, you won't regret getting the 2CE. They are wonderful speakers. If I could have afforded them, I would have gotten them instead of the 1C.

Jason

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
I agree with Jason on Parasound. Just picked up a closeout 855 myself but I would recommend stepping up to the 1205 at a minimum for the Vandy's. The value to be found in these amps is incredible. Think used, both amp and pre-amp. You can have a very nice system within your stated budget.

There are some very nice receivers out there for that money as well but IMO nothing can touch the sound from separates when you have fine speakers like the 2CE's.

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
I've had a pair of 2CE Sig's for a couple of years now. I still find them very rewarding... I have always ran them with a Carver 125 watts/ch 5 channel THX amp that I have.

You're probably on the right track with something like the Outlaw pre-amp. But don't forget that if properly built and equipped, you can use a good receiver as a pre-amp. So you might want to start out with a better receiver for now and move up to a separate amp later.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
As stated, you can get a receiver now that can be used as a decent pre. Either at the same time or a bit in the future, instead of going with a 5 ch amp (I think there aren't many 4 ch amps anyway), you can get a good 2 ch amp for your mains and continue to power your surrounds with the receiver.

Doug

Darrel McBane

Second Unit
Many amps are modular in design. Meaning you can add channels as needed. Sherborn is a good example of an affordable upgradeable amp. You can buy it in two channel and add channels as you wish. Just something to consider?! It also is rated at 200wpc@8ohm which I think would be a good starting point to drive the Vandies.

I've heard the Vandersteen line of speakers many times and would recommend giving them plenty of good power.

WaltS

Agent
Real Name
Walter Short
I listened to the Vandersteen 2CE signatures and the 1C yesterday and it's going to be hard not to buy them. First I heard them with a ROTEL amp driving them and then hooked them up to a $500 Marantz 100 watt amp. The Marantz didn't have as good of sound but was still acceptable considering my current budget. A set of the 2CE, 1C's for surrounds, the VCC-1 center and a set of speaker wires with a 10% discount off list added up to a whopping $3100. If I spend that much on speakers I'm going to have to accept driving them with a Marantz 7200 receiver until I can afford better electronics, but then I'll be good to go for speakers for the long term.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks